1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a brand new SA Loaded I just bought. When pulling the trigger it travels back about 1/2 to 1 millimeter and then there is kind of a catch or a step you have to pull the trigger through. It feels like two pieces of metal catching that snap past each other suddenly once enough pressure is applied. If you pull the trigger past this step and then stop pulling and allow the trigger to reset and then pull it all the way and release the hammer, the step won't be there the second time.

Whats the problem and how do I fix it?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Does your problem go away with the slide off?? BE CAREFUL, don't let the hammer fall all the way without the slide!

I ask because I had a problem with my Kimber that sounds similar.. I didn't know what to do.. One day, I was merrily surfing through Brownells.com and found myself looking through their online database of product instruction sheets.. Link Here
I started at the top, with the '1911 Auto Disconnect Scraper.' The description described my problem EXACTLY.. :eek:

When fitting a new disconnector or slide, you may encounter a situation in which you will hear, or feel, a "click" at the point when you have taken up the slack in the trigger just prior to allowing the hammer to fall. This "click" is caused by the end of the disconnector hitting the top of the disconnector slot in the bottom of the slide. This annoying and often distracting problem can be quickly corrected with the Brownell 1911 Disconnect Scraper.
:D :cool: :D :cool: I might have just STUMBLED onto the solution for my problem...

The instruction sheet continues about how the disconnector hits the slide at the top of the disconnect slot, causing the "click." It says it can be eliminated by deepening the slot.. **NOT BY SHORTENING THE DISCONNECTOR ** (They seem serious about this, so I will be also)

Anyhoo, I didn't want to buy a tool, or wait for the fix.. Plus, I didn't feel like SCRAPING metal away from my gun.. :eek: I thought I'd try a polish first.. I happened to have a polishing disc that was almost the exact width as, and worn to a slightly smaller radius than the slot.. I VERY CAREFULLY polished the slot, making sure not to elongate it at all.. Then I hit it with some JB paste on a small felt wheel.. Cleaned everything up and reassembled.. Click GONE... :D :D :D

As always, if you are hesitant about work like this on your gun, seek out a qualified gunsmith, (I am NOT) or if it's a new gun get SA to fix it...

I hope this helps.. Good luck..

R

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Hi, Robear,

That is a possibility, but it sounds more like 1) the trigger bow is rubbing against the grip safety or 2) some part of the firing pin block system is catching as it disengages the block.

Jim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts