1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A co-worker of mine, and avid shooter, brought up the idea of this for me and my Colt XSE for competition shooting next year. I wanted to see if anyone has used this simple upgrade before and any comments regarding its performance, etc would be greatly appreciated!

thanks!

Here is a link to the exact product and description: http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=5501/Product/SERIES_80_TRIGGER_PULL_REDUCTION_KIT

and i should note, it mentions using in combination with an aftermarket trigger would result in a even better performance. i do NOT have an aftermarket trigger inthis gun, nor am I planning on it (its a carry gun that I am using to get my feet wet in Single Stack division for USPSA-i know its not the perfect comp gun but its what i have at the moment and i want an excuse to shoot it more b.c frankly i love this gun:)). would it be worth it by itself??

thanks

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
I saw this ad in a car magazine which said if you add this unit to a carburetor of fuel injection system is splits the gasoline ions into positive and negative charges which will result in 80 more horsepower at the wheels.

I'm not trying to be a smartass, but save your money and find a reputable 1911 smith to perform a proper trigger job. If a smith works on your gun he will stand behind it.

·
Premium Member
7,079 Posts
I believe both NATIONALMATCH and KnightsArmory endorse those kits.
Use your search function to research.

·
Premium Member
14,630 Posts
I believe both NATIONALMATCH and KnightsArmory endorse those kits.
Use your search function to research.
Well that is quite an endorsement. The best part of the kit is the plunger lever marked "N" which has the highest lift and is a Colt part that they will send you for free just for the asking.....I know the plating makes it slick, or you could polish your parts and add a drop of oil.

LOG

·
Registered
309 Posts
Cylinder & Slide makes nice parts, but dropping this thing in without doing anything else isn't going to make much difference. There's no substitute for the skilled hands of a top 1911 smith to get a crisp trigger. Of all the 1911 firing pin safetys, the Colt Series 80 system affects trigger pull the least in my opinion. I've got 2 of them built by top 1911 guys, and they've got excellent trigger pulls.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I saw this ad in a car magazine which said if you add this unit to a carburetor of fuel injection system is splits the gasoline ions into positive and negative charges which will result in 80 more horsepower at the wheels.
Gosh, if it was in a real ad, it MUST be true. You got a copy of that thing, Greg?
:biglaugh:

·
Premium Member
361 Posts
Titanium-nitrided parts. Wouldn't hurt anything to try, and a much better option IMHO than simply removing the series 80 parts (which may or may not improve trigger pull).

·
Registered
169 Posts
I think I'd be more likely to pick one of these kits instead. I can't imagine the other kit you mentioned would do much at all. I have heard good things about these kits from many people that have installed them.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=5502/Product/1911_AUTO_TRIGGER_PULL_KITS

It makes more sense since you are replacing all the parts that actually define the trigger pull of the gun like the hammer, sear, disco, and springs.

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
would it be worth it by itself??

thanks
In my opinion,...no.

These polished pieces allow knocking off perhaps 1/2 pound of trigger weight inherent with the fp block.

Competition gun users could dispense with the fp saftey entirely for much less with the shim designed for it.

·
Banned
7,484 Posts
These parts will NOT reduce your trigger pull more than lubricating the pistol with CLP will do.

A 19# mainspring, on the other hand, will probably do wonders. This spring can't be more than $2.00.

-- Chuck

·
Premium Member
4,282 Posts
If you want the lightest trigger kit possible, and you want it guaranteed to require no adjustment at all, I know of only one option: just take the sear spring completely out of the gun. Just ignore it's very existence like that extra bolt you find in the box after you put your kid's new bike together on Christmas Eve. That way, you'll know up front what result you'll be getting, and you won't have to do any work to get it.

IT'S FRIDAY! HAVE A GOOD WEEKEND, MY FRIENDS!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts