1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for someones opinion on a good quality electronic
trigger pull scale. What brand name and where I can purchase one.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I bought the RCBS "analog" version. Works fine. I really don't need more than 1/8# sensitivity!

(And, most 'smiths I talk to still use those old NRA-type weights....or whatever else they call them.)

·
Banned
1,473 Posts
Kuhnhausen says to use the weights below a 5# pull, because below that weight, the digital scales can be manipulated to read whatever you want them to read by changing how you pull them.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Lyman digital, and it is very repeatable. You can't "manipulate" it to read differently, unless you really try. You wouldn't want to, would you?

I threw the RCBS spring scale away...............

Rich

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Let me 2nd the Lyman comment. Really really repeatable and very nice. The problem though is the 12 lb limit. Lots of DA revolvers from the factory exceed this though.

·
Registered
220 Posts
For anything above 12#, I use a Rapala digital fish scale, goes up to 50#, also very repeatable. Good for weighing guns, and I also use it for determining weights of all those "extra" 1911 recoils springs lying around..............

Rich

·
Banned
1,473 Posts
I use the Lyman digital trigger scale. $56.
The 4-3/4 lb. weight set is $56.30.

The reference in Kuhnhausen is volume 2, page 171, note 5, "Trigger pull checking note:"

"Pulls of 5 lbs. and higher can be optionally checked using a Brownell's recording trigger pull gauge or a std. ordnance/NRA weight type measuring system. Pulls of 4-1/2 lbs. or less should be checked with an ordnance or NRA type trigger pull weight system, only."

For a thirty cent increase, I'll go with Kuhnhausen. :cool:

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I really prefer the NRA dead weights. I find them to be the most consistent and there really isn't a whole lot that can go wrong with them. I don't think they're the cheapest option, just the best IMHO.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I don't think Mr. Kuhnhausen had the digital option available when he wrote the books, did he? Just curious.

I really like the Lyman scale, too, although some of the newer guns require the 50# brass fish scale.

John

·
Banned
1,473 Posts
I don't think Mr. Kuhnhausen had the digital option available when he wrote the books, did he?
That I don't know.

Volume two was published in 1997, but I don't know when the digital scales came out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts