1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The trigger pull on my S&M model 5906 is very long. Can this be adjusted by me or is this a gunsmith deal? It seems that I am forever on the trigger before it fires. It should be a shorter pull for my liking. Looking for advice.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I think it is a gunsmith deal , I can reccomend Teddy Jacobson at www.actionsbyt.com his prices are reasonable and you will love this gunif he does his action work on it.
email him your questions.
good luck
Carlos

·
Registered
382 Posts
Own a 5906 myself. Had a trigger job done on it. The loooong take up you are experiencing is the double action function. Even with the hammer back there is still a lot of travel due to the DA. The smith may be able to take out some of the travel, but their's still going to be a lot of travel because it's a DA gun.

------------------
There are 1911's and those that wish they were

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by 4D5:
Own a 5906 myself. Had a trigger job done on it. The loooong take up you are experiencing is the double action function. Even with the hammer back there is still a lot of travel due to the DA. The smith may be able to take out some of the travel, but their's still going to be a lot of travel because it's a DA gun.
Would this long trigger pull be why I just can't seem to sight this gun in? It seems to just pull down and to the right no matter how I adjust it. I thought that it may just be me so I had a friend shoot it and he is having the same results. Thanks

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Originally posted by mlbdg:
Originally posted by 4D5:
Would this long trigger pull be why I just can't seem to sight this gun in? It seems to just pull down and to the right no matter how I adjust it. I thought that it may just be me so I had a friend shoot it and he is having the same results. Thanks
Yup... That combined with the Stiff spring makes holding the gun steady while pulling through the trigger difficult, and why the 1911 has the admiration that it does.

One only need "Press" the SA trigger slightly, and therefore tends to not get upset, and accuracy improves.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Shooting tight groups with a long-stroke DA trigger requires good trigger discipline to assure that your pull is straight back during the stroke.

If the sights are properly centered;
1) Groups that center left indicate you're 'pushing' the trigger to the left.
2) Groups that center lower indicate that the trigger pressure is pulling the muzzle down.
3) 'Anticipation Flinch' will generally result in down-and-left groups (combined push-left and pull-down).

Small hands further complicate the problem, since it's very difficult to maintain straight-back triger stroke with shorter trigger finger.

I have all of the above problems with a long-stroke DA trigger. That's why I stick to 1911s.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I got a 5906 as a duty gun, the double action pull is very long and heavy, but its smooth like a revolver. as far as the single action pull, if you take your finger off the trigger every shot, there is a long takeup until you feel the sear release, you may be slapping the trigger. however, if you keep your finger on the trigger after the shot is fired, and slowly release the trigger, you will feel the sear reset, in a fraction of the distance, the gun is then ready to fire. with alot of practice, you can train yourself only to release the trigger far enough to reset the sear, and pull the trigger again for a quick second shot. The S&W armorers school trains that the single action pull should be heavier than the gun.
the advantage of the smiths are a smooth double action pull like a high quality revolver, and a single action pull, that with training is about as short as a 1911.

damn I just turned 100

[This message has been edited by supercomp (edited 09-01-2001).]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts