1911Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Using a digital trigger pull gauge, my SA 5" lightweight pistol trigger averages 7.2--7.5 pull. A gunsmith friend tells me that it can't be reduced by much less than that, and remain safe. He's a graduate of a well known gunsmith school, but is largely inexperienced. I'd appreciate your thoughts......

·
Registered
893 Posts
Does he mean safe as in safe for CCW where an untrained person might need the extra pull to keep them from triggering a shot when they should not because they screwed up and put their finger on the trigger before engaging the target, or does he mean safe as in if he adjusts the sear angle and spring pressure it will go full auto or at the least the hammer will follow the slide ??

Any competent pistolsmith should be able to adjust any off the shelf 1911 to 4 pounds, crisp, and reliable. It might take a bit of work but it can be done.

If he feels that is too light for carry, and you are properly trained, find someone else to do the work.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

He told me that when he adjusted the pull to 5lbs, the hammer followed the slide. He then polished it such that he brought it back up to the 7lb + area. As I said, I doubted his opinion on this, and wanted more experienced insight. Thanks. I'll find someone else.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Your friend is wrong. There are people shooting guns with 2 lb pulls that don't have problems with trigger follow. 3-4 is pretty much the standard for a 1911 trigger after a trigger job. I would find someone else to do my trigger work. To get a good 3 lb pull that will last he may need to change the parts in the gun from the factory parts.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Agreed

I agree about finding someone else for the work. Both of my Kimbers are right at 4.5lbs, with which I'm very satisfied. Thanks again for the feedback.

·
Registered
314 Posts
MSSIG,

I had Dave Berryhill do a trigger job among other things on my full size lightweight. She breaks at 4lbs exactly and is smooth as silk. I recomend finding another gunsmith.
:cool:

·
Registered
893 Posts
Re: reply

MSSIG said:
He told me that when he adjusted the pull to 5lbs, the hammer followed the slide. He then polished it such that he brought it back up to the 7lb + area. As I said, I doubted his opinion on this, and wanted more experienced insight. Thanks. I'll find someone else.
Good idea. Sounds like he simply bent the sear spring to drop the weight. That by itself is a recipe for hammer follow, but a good smith would do more than just that. Sear engagement depth and angle, are other factors.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts