1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,388 Posts
Interesting question, why are you concerned about the Colt's warranty? Are there issues with this Colt?

If the firearm must be returned for warranty issues that are not fire control issues just put the Colt trigger back in!

Shoot more worry less,

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There are no issues with gun. I just need short trigger. Was concerned if non-factory work was done on this gun, would it void any or all future warranty needs. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
14,830 Posts
I keep my old parts and re-install them if the pistol has to be returned to the mfg. for warranty work. (If the parts have been installed by anyone other than the pistol mfg.)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am under the impression Colt will not sell me parts at this time. Am I mistaken? Is it possible to purchase Colt parts from supply vendor that is not Colt? Colts trigger is the obvious solution....who do I call? Thanks for any help guys.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I feel like a 5th grader talking to adults on the 1911 subject. During the years I spent in the navy ('74-'85) I had plenty of hours keeping current at the range, but the GM1's and their guys took care of the weapons. After 30 years and just recently getting interested in a new game(shooting) it is going to take some time to catch up with the basics, much less you guys with lifetime degrees in 1911 function&use. I will get there, however I would rather risk you guys chuckling at me and my questions than not knowing. I will try not to be a pain. And who knows maybe someone will ask a question I can answer;). Mike

·
Premium Member
11,544 Posts
No worries. We're all here to learn and enjoy the 1911. I might give you some grief about being Navy though..... :)

·
Banned
524 Posts
Oldnavyflier,

No Big Deal, it won't take long to your feet wet, and pretty soon you'll be hitting the 3 wire every-time. Yea you are an Aviator not a Pilot, Just like my Marines.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If I put a short trigger and a arched MSH on a new 1991 Commander in 9mm that should be a real good and inexpensive to shoot range warrior. What do you guys think about that combo?

·
Banned
524 Posts
Trigger and MSH

Generally that's the combo for 1911A1's that were Mil-spec GI. So the 1911 you fired in your career were that combo. I don't know if the grip on a "Commander" is much if any difference from a GI Full Size 1911A1.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That was my thought process. Even though it has been quite awhile, the familiarity in feel and hand position will be of help. On the trigger work, you guys know the difference in feel between a good or not so good trigger. I do not. I think I could develop bad habits from a poor trigger and not realize it. Should I have a trigger job (what ever that involves) when I have the new trigger installed? I know range time is the biggest factor in shooting well, but if the arrows are crooked and I don't know it, how could i tell if the problem is the indian or the arrow? I understand the difference between work "needed" and work "wanted". So if I am going to have one of you guys tune my gun, I think it should be done all at once and be finished. Then I can totally focus on what I am shooting at and know if I am missing it is me not the equipment.

·
Banned
524 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, it appears a "trigger job" is best left to very skilled craftsman. I have read from many posts about series 80 colts. No real way to value the info due to lack of further info on the true skill set of the author. Doc if you understand the series 80 system, I would like your opinion. I feel certain any smith I choose for my work will ask me how I want to deal with it. I need to know how to reply. By the way, your tip on Midwest as a parts source was #1. Thank you for your efforts to assist me in my journey. Mike.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I took my gun apart, pulled out my twenty-something Arkansas Stone that I have sharpened a million or so knifes on. I took and polished up surfaces very carefully.

Before I started, I took a fish scale with a treble hook on a leader and hooked it to the trigger and pulled it. It was a bit under five pounds when the trigger snapped. After I polished and reassembled, I repeated, it was a good bit under four pounds and a lot crisper and smoother.

If you take your time and pay attention, it's not that hard.

·
Banned
524 Posts
Mike,
I don't know much about 80's, what I do know is there are levers and springs that are not in 1911A1's, something about drop safety. I'm all in for firearm safety so all the stuff about spacers etc. to allow removal I ignore. I'm a 70 year old exe Corpsman that retired as a Fire Chief, most of firearm stuff was "Swinging with the Wing" carried a 1911A1 and hid a M3 (affectionately know as a "Grease Gun") so all this modern stuff is not in the knowledge bank.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts