1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Just trying to get a list of people who have had problems with the Tripp Research 10rd Cobra Mag as far as over-insertion. Feel free to voice other problems you have had with the mags as well. If you can please, also say if you have contacted or tried to contact Virgil Tripp with regard to your problems and what the fix may have been if any.

Reason for the question is I'm a somewhat recent 1911 owner and am looking to get 10rdrs for action shooting. I'm planning on purchasing about 5 or more and would like some help deciding before purchase. So far I have pared the list down to just the CMC Power 10 or the Cobra 10. I really like the follower design of the Cobras but if there is an over-insertion problem with them, I would be just as happy to buy the CMC's at almost $10 less per mag.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I have the same problem. Sent and email and it said to give them a call. I have been a slacker and have not called them on it yet.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Any update with this problem... I am in the same position and trying to purchase some magazines for Limited 10.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
My Tripp won't drop free at all from any 1911 I have, you have to pull pretty hard.

My Wilsons, Ed Brown, and Metalform all drop free from all of them.

The Tripp seemed overpriced to not work any better than it does.

The Metalform seems like the 'best' value quality and performance on the market right now. You have to add a bumper pad, but that's negligible.

Wilson Bureaucrats are great, IF they work in your gun. I have a Baer where they don't even seat, and my first IPSC gun will not work with anything else.
Plus outstanding warranty.

Best thing is to buy one of each brand you're considering before you buy a bunch of them.

I wound up returning several brands of mags that I didn't like or that didn't drop free.

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
ranger said:
...Best thing is to buy one of each brand you're considering before you buy a bunch of them...

You will probably find that the CMC's have the best over-insertion stop, but may require trimming to the basepad or a slight opening up of some magwells to allow them to fully/properly seat.

The over insertion tab on the Wilson's can break off, but they will be warrantied if you send them in and wait for them to be replaced.

The Metalform only have a small overinsertion tab stamped as part of the mag body. It can be sharp and can damage the frame over time (especially an aluminum frame).

Have fun with your testing and your decision. :)

·
Registered
269 Posts
All four of my Tripp 10 rounders are too long from the base stop to the feed lips.
They hit the ejector on all of my 1911s every time. This eventually resuted in a broken ejector on my match gun which did not make me happy They functioned just fine until the ejector broke. :( BD

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have any of you that have run into problems called Virgil Tripp or Tripp Research to see if there was a fix or if he would try to fix it?

·
Registered
269 Posts
I did send Tripp an email, and have not heard back to the best of my knowledge.
I try and save sorting this kind of stuff out for the winter months when there's not so much stuff on my schedule. BD

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Sherri does the email. She will just tell you to call Virgil during business hours and explain what is happening to him. I haven't got around to doing that yet either. I only bought one to try it out, my Powermags are working for duty right now.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have not used the 10 round mags. My experience with the 8 round mags is that they will feed ammo other mags dont feed. I have used them successfully with a S&W scandium commander, Les Baer premier II, and a Springfield Armory. I have basically stopped using any other mags. They function/feed much more reliable for me. Only difficulty is that it takes a solid push/hit to have it lock into the Les Baer. The difficulty is minor and I still use them in the gun. Mine drop free with no probs
D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts