1911Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just when I decided to invest in some Tripp spring upgrades, Wilson came out with flat spring mags. I would love to hear from anyone who has used both. Several of you will not use 8 round mags due to reliability issues. Does this still hold true with new FS mags?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
I went with all ETM's after a Tripp basepad checkered itself onto my frontstrap and had to be tapped out from the top. Here's a pic of it.

http://photos.handgunplanet.com/GalleryFilmstrip.aspx?gallery=4259668&mid=84141540&mt=Photo&ci=008

I know the ones with the alloy pad won't do that, but if I have to pay the price of a Tripp with alloy basepad, I might as well pay a couple dollars more and get the ETM HD with a steel pad and a square spring that I won't ever need to change.

And the ETM HD I tested and reviewed was extremely reliable. As in zero hiccups at all. Here's a link to the review. I would certainly not hesitate to carry the new Wilson 8 rounders.

http://handgunplanet.com/2013/09/30/new-release-wilson-combat-etm-heavy-dutyp-magazine.aspx

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Gangsta! I have ordered 2 of the FSs.

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Aw that's your solid gray I saw earlier. That is without doubt in the top five best looking pistols I have ever seen. Mine is gray/black. Thinking of sending it back for gray and magwell.

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
No problem. And thanks for the kind words. I'm a little partial to it, but that all gray ULC has earned its spot in the rotation for sure. Shoots like a dream.

Those new mags really are an advance, though. I think you'll be very happy with the performance.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I just bought a 7R-45-WG & 8R-45-RG from Tripp Research and they look 100% but I haven't been able to try them out yet but looking very forward to it.... I might have to order one of these new wilsons though to add to the mags I have so far...

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
I don't want it to sound like I am bashing Tripp. The ones with the alloy pads are very good mags.

I just refuse to use their plastic basepads anymore after the issue I had, and I think the new Wilsons are a better design for the money if you have to pay the upcharge for the alloy pad from Tripp anyway.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I've been running Tripp's without issue.

I'm not sure what I'm looking at in the picture above.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I went with all ETM's after a Tripp basepad checkered itself onto my frontstrap and had to be tapped out from the top. Here's a pic of it.

http://photos.handgunplanet.com/GalleryFilmstrip.aspx?gallery=4259668&mid=84141540&mt=Photo&ci=008
How much force did you use to seat that mag? It looks like it was inserted way to hard, causing the base-pad to over insert up into the frontstrap. Likely due to operator error.

I have the Tripps and they are great mags. I do not care for the flared out base-pads, not because they are plastic, but because they flare out and can dig into you when carrying a spare mag CCW.

I don't have any of the Wilson flat springs yet. I intend to try them out when (if) they release one in black with a low profile base pad. Until then, I'll stick with the 47D's with low profile base-pads.

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
How much force did you use to seat that mag? It looks like it was inserted way to hard, causing the base-pad to over insert up into the frontstrap. Likely due to operator error.
It was inserted hard, but there are other design-related factors at play besides that. And if I can't trust a mag under rough circumstances, I can't trust it. Because of the way the base pad attaches, there is also a small gap at the front between the mag tube and the base pad. That allows the front strap to wedge in there with much less force than it would take with other designs. The plastic also seems very soft compared to others.

Bottom line, Tripps are good mags. But if I need to buy an alloy base pad for them, I think the ETM HD is a better value because of the spring.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
The Wilson low profile steel basepads aren't tall enough for me with a speed chute.

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
The Wilson low profile steel basepads aren't tall enough for me with a speed chute.
That was my one complaint too. I do like their alloy low-pros, though. On my guns with the NHC or WC one-piece magwell, they're just enough longer to seat positively. But I usually use the plastic bases on ETM's that are range mags anyway.

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
I just reread my post. For the sake of clarity, the low-pro on the ETM's still sticks out a hair past the bottom of the Wilson BP magwell, which seats just fine. I just prefer the alloy pads because they stick out an extra 1/8" or so beyond the bottom and I'm more comfortable with that on my reloads.

I didn't want it to sound as if the steel pads wouldn't work if you were using a magwell. That's a personal preference thing on my part.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts