1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyone knows that the tritium lamps in night sights eventually go dim. I've got a set of Wilson Nite Eyes on my bedroom gun that are about eight years old and need a recharge.

Anyone know if the lamps (only) can be replaced? Sights are dead on now and I would hate to have to replace the whole units. (Not to mention the cost).

Thanks

------------------
Whoever said you can’t buy happiness never owned a good 1911!

·
Registered
25 Posts
anybody know if you can buy them and install them yourself? Can you please post the procedure for removal and installation please?

Edwin

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
eddienyr said:
anybody know if you can buy them and install them yourself? Can you please post the procedure for removal and installation please?

Edwin
My understanding--which is worth exactly what you've paid for it--is that you need a special license to handle tritium in this manner, since tritium is a radioactive substance. I would guess that federal regs would require you to have a special setup for removing and installing tritium lamps.

I believe Trijicon will replace old lamps for you. I don't know what the cost is.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Tritium is a radioacitve gas the small quanity that is in the sealed glass container is not very hazerdous in short you get more harmful rays on a partly cloudy day. To replace just buy some new sights, they are not that expensive and the place you buy them from will install for free.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Sheldonj said:
Tritium is a radioacitve gas the small quanity that is in the sealed glass container is not very hazerdous in short you get more harmful rays on a partly cloudy day. To replace just buy some new sights, they are not that expensive and the place you buy them from will install for free.
True on all counts. However, I still recall reading that you need a special license to handle tritium for installation and disposal purposes.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Not sure about larger ammounts but the local gun shop did mine.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Sheldonj said:
Not sure about larger ammounts but the local gun shop did mine.
Did they install your night sights as complete units, or did they install just the tritium lamps themselves into your sights? I'm referring to just the lamps themselves and not the sight/lamp combo.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Tritium sights still good?

When shoping at your favorite firearm store, Is there an easy way to tell if the tritium sights are still good? They look white in store light, and cupping hand over them doesn't seem to change their appearance.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Werik, most of the tritium sights these days have the date of manufacture/installation stamped on them. However, I still want to try them out in a darkened room before purchasing a gun so equipped. The store should be able to accomodate this request somehow..

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Just bought new sights

the new sights were only like $40. installed so how much do you think you save by installing just the glass bead? Half life of the stuff if memory serves me is 8 years, so 16 years would be the expected usable time frame for a new set, so far mine are only 4 years old and appear as bright as the day they were bought.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts