1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just talked to my dealer that ordered my Trojan for me and I had him order it with the Thick grips and they told him that they were glued on and could not be removed. I have never owned a STI before and was wondering why they would glue the grips on and not use screws like all the other 1911 type guns.
Keith

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
That's a bunch of crap. STI does not glue grips onto their standard frame guns like the Trojan. They use screws just like everybody else.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Sounds like your dealer forgot and is trying to place the blame somewhere other than his failure. ;)

No biggy, really, but does show the man's character.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Installing the thicker grips generally require changing the screw bushings in the frame to the standard size ones. That dealer is really shoveling it. Or, as Monty Python said in "The Life of Brian":

He's making it up as he goes along.....

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
follow up

Well I have a follow up to the glued grip statement. I called STI today and asked about the situation, and what I found out was that, what they were telling my dealer is that the grip bushing screws are different between the thin and thick grips, and that they locttite them in, and that sometime when you try and remove them you strip the threads in the frame, and that they recommend that you not do it. As for my dealer feeding me a line of bull, he is a small out of your house dealer and knows nothing about STI firearms, and it is my assumption from what he said, is that he did not understand what they were telling him. I know this guy and I don't think he was trying to bull me as I gave him the number and information to call STI to place the order, and he only was forwarding the information as he understood it. The order is still on for a Trojan with the thick grips. I want to thank everyone for there input, and if anyone has any additional info about the Trojan I a would like to here it.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Whoopsy... I rescind my statement. Mixed messages everywhere.

Looks like I made some ASSumptions. ;)

I'd say that the problem is on STI's end. Sounds like they were giving him "reasons" for them being unable to change grips beyond them being unwilling to change something on a gun that's in inventory. On that note, I can't see how 10 minutes spent on a firearm that's otherwise ready to go would be THAT big of a deal. You gotta love sales guys....

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just got a new Ranger II that I absolutely love. I could do without the ultra-slim grips though. Is replacing the bushings always required when switching to a thicker (i.e. standard thickness) grip, or can one just use longer grip screws? If so, where would one purchase same?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts