1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just noticed one of these on the SA web page. Looks sort of interesting -- although for the price I should probably be looking at an STI Trojan.

Anyone happen to have any first-hand experience with them?

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have the 45 tu-tone.

Accurate as can be. Many thousands of rounds through it. Rattles a bit but you could not tell.

I am just getting into loading and looking forward to some 200 swc loads to see what it can do.

The guy I bought it from had tailored a load and I look forward to duplicating it.

·
Premium Member
8,733 Posts
I have a 45 ACP Trophy Match, all stainless. Very nice production gun. My only modifications were to shorten the roll on the trigger. In other words, the pull was smooth and consistant but had alot of sear engagement. A European type trigger. I just shortened the hooks and got a very crisp trigger. It shoots very well and is very consistant.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Has anyone even SEEN the .40 S&W version?

I really like Springfield, and I was thinking a single-stack .40 might just right for trying out Limited-10.

Mike

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Seems to come down between the Trophy Match or STI Trojan in .40 S&W.

I like SA, and I like that it comes with a mag-well, but I'm a little concerned that nobody has tried one of these yet...

Price looks similar for each.

Mike

·
Premium Member
8,733 Posts
Mike,

You may want to handle both and see how they appeal to you. The SA's have a less rounded front strap. I don't know about the front strap of the Trojan. I know the SA front strap profile is a plus for me. If you could shoot a Trojan then that would be way cool.

Mike

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Recently both Springfield and STI have gone to more rounded (like the Colt) in their frontstrap. I had thought Springfield had discontinued the Trophy Match in .40S&W, but I guess I was wrong. Maybe it is just in the Loaded Models. Anyway both are good 1911s' overall. I do have a STI Trojan in .40S&W which is a good pistol with standard .40S&W length ammo, but will not accept 10MM magazines needed for IPSC type loaded long .40S&W to almost the length of 10MM ammo. The Springfield Loaded I saw didn't seem to have this problem. The STI can be fixed to work with 10MM magazines with a new mag catch, but that is only important if you are going to load the .40 long. I would say the STI is the better 1911 overall, but I am sure different individual pistols vary enough you could find a Springfield that would be better than a STI. Good luck in your search. Robbie shot a Springfield in .40S&W for years at the Single Stack Classic and has won every time in the past 9 years with it I believe.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I have a Trophy Match in 40. It is finished in Springfield's Armory Kote. I only have about 500 rounds through it. It has been reliable and very accurate. I may have to dig it out of the safe and put a few more rounds through it soon. I also have an STI Trojan in 9mm. It is also a very nice gun but I prefer regular checkering on the front strap over the STIppling. The stippling would be nice for a carry gun but for the range I prefer nice coarse checkering. I'm wondering if that is an old link to the springfield site you are looking at, I haven't seen the 40 Trophy Match listed anywhere for quite sometime now.

One more thing, the barrel lock up and slide to frame fit on the Trophy Match is really tight. Much tighter than the Trojan.

GunNut

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
GunNut said:
I'm wondering if that is an old link to the springfield site you are looking at, I haven't seen the 40 Trophy Match listed anywhere for quite sometime now.

GunNut
You could be right. This turned up a few hits, but not as many as I'd expect. I see it on the 2002 price list...

Bummer. I was starting to get excited about that one.

:mad:

Mike

·
Banned
1,607 Posts
You might want to look at the .40 Kimber. I have one that shoots under 1" @ 25 yds. There are pros and cons shooting a .40 in Limited 10. The brass is much cheaper than .45 brass. The .45 shoots a little softer. 10 rd Wilson .45 mags will feed .40 without modification. CMC mags will work with just a little tweeking. Don't even think about lead bullets in .40. You will not believe the amount of smoke.
I loaded my .40 out to 1.200" with a 180 gr bullet.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Joe D said:
The .45 shoots a little softer.
Yeah, the brass and factory-ammo are less-expensive, which really appeals to me.

I've never shot a .40 -- I assumed the recoil would be less than .45 ACP.

I heard a local store had an SA .40 on closeout a while back, so I'm going to swing over tomorrow and see if it's still there. If I get it, I'll probably buy some Tripp Cobra 10rd .40 S&W mags.

·
Banned
1,607 Posts
Mike, the .40 recoil is just as much as the .45. It is a little "snappier" too. I am not certain which gun I shoot better. I would probably go with the .40 due to lower operating cost. I have heard that the Tripp mags are pretty expensive. Brownells has the 10 rd Metalform .40 mags. for $22.86 or the .45 Wilson mags for $21.56.

I my start shooting my 1911 in IDPA. I am Master in SSP and ESP, but only an Expert in CDP. I have been shooting a Glock 35 for both IPSC Limited and IDPA SSP/ ESP. I prefer it to my 1911s.
One further thing on the SA vs Kimber. The Kimber really is a better, more accurate gun. I have had at least 5 Kimbers and 3 SAs. All of my Kimbers had a good barrel to slide fit. None of the SAs did. Two of my Kimbers will group under 1" at 25 yds, the rest under 1 1/2". Only one of the SAs (9mm) would group under 3".

The only flaw I have found in the Kimbers is the grip safety. I replace them with an Ed Brown model. The Kimber safety is just not high enough for me. The SA grip safety is OK. If you can save $300-$400 on the SA then I would probably get it instead of a Kimber. You can always put another barrel in it.

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
I agree with Joe D about the Kimber. I have a Kimber Target worked on by EGW that I have used in the last 3 Single Stack Classics. The barrel and slide fit are the way it came from Kimber. It shoot great so I can't use it as any excuse. I do believe the Kimbers are overall better than the Loaded Springfields. I do fine the .40S&W does torque less in my hands than a .45ACP. It probably has to do with my grip as others don't seem to notice this like I do. Good luck in your search Michael_Aos.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If I can find the SA Loaded in .40 S&W for $300-$400 less than the Kimber -- and / or around $500, I'll probably snag it.

Mike

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Went and looked today -- the Springfield is $499, and a Kimber (I think the one you guys are talking about) is $799.

For the difference in price, I think I'll go with the Springfield.

They also have an STI Trojan in .40 S&W for $879 and Trophy Match in .40 S&W for $999.

Any suggestions?

At this point I think it's between the $499 fixed-sight, plain-jane, or the $999 "competition ready" Trophy Match -- or just skip it and keep saving for an Edge in .40 S&W.

Help!

Mike

·
Registered
472 Posts
I don't know what to say about the Edge, do you like doublestacks? The edge has a pretty big grip.

I can tell you I would take the Trophy Match over the plain Springfield model. The TM has adjustable sights, front strap checkering and should have a very tight barrel lockup. The barrel is supposed to be match grade compared to a base model. This model competes with the Colt Gold Cup so it is supposed to be pretty accurate out of the box. If the Trophy Match has features you like and might add later why not spend the money now as opposed to spending twice as much later to have it done.

Good Luck with your decision.

·
Banned
1,607 Posts
I think I would go with the cheaper model. I had a Trophy Match once, wound up getting a refund from SA. It was junk. See how it shoots. IPSC/IDPA targets are huge.
The Trojan is a single stack. I may be wrong but seems like the Trojans have cast frames rather than forged.
Mike, one gun you might want to consider if you are thinking double stack is the BUL M5. You can see it at www.charlesdaly.com. I am getting the Government Model in .40. Should be about $600 with tax. The IPSC Model is nice but Charles Daly overpriced it. Should sell for $850. It is my understanding they take the SVI mags.
If you want a single stack and plan on spending over $700 just get the Kimber. I work on a lot of 1911s and believe me when I say the Kimber is the best gun out there for under $1,000.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Michael_Aos said:
If I can find the SA Loaded in .40 S&W for $300-$400 less than the Kimber -- and / or around $500, I'll probably snag it.

Mike
I picked up my 40sw Loaded for about $600 ,had it de-horned ,subdue finish and replaced the extractor with a wilson after the original broke - btw SA replaced it for no charge under the warranty,so now I have a spare.Had a local 'smith modify the Novak rear too.

Also replaced the hammer ,sear ,trigger, 2 pc rod for a full length one piece and added a S&A magwell.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Mark P,
Could you tell me the shop where you bought your gun, the model number and whether or not they had any more? That is exactly what I've been looking for for my wife. Thanks a lot!

1 - 20 of 59 Posts