1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered a 20 lb wolf spring for my trophy match to shoot some hot loads that I made by mistake, at the max but still safe. The package came with a new fireing pin spring ,do I need to change this to shoot about 200 rounds? If so how do you change it.
Keith

·
Registered
411 Posts
Wolf includes an XH firing pin spring with their recoil springs. They recommend changing the firing pin spring when you replace the recoil spring. Assuming that you are changing the spring because it is worn out and in need of replacement. In your case you are changing it for a different reason. Your Trophy Match (if it is a 2001 model) should have an XXH firing pin spring along with a titanium firing pin. You can change it if you want to but I don't see a reason to in my opinion. To change it use a punch to depress the firing pin. Push the firing pin in far enough to release the tension on the stop. While the tension is off of the firing pin stop it should drop out of its slot in the slide. Be careful because the firing pin is under pressure and will come flying out. Wear your safety glasses. I usually use an old towel to capture the firing pin and the spring. Assemble in reverse order. Hope this helps.

Shooter Ready?

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Change them both at the same time. That way you know when they need changing.Wolff always includes one, so you'll have spares as you go along. What is the recoil spring weight in the pistol now? If it's new, don't forget to change back to it. A 20 is on the heavy side for your pistol. An 18.5 is about perfect for hot loads. The 16 is normal. I'm interested to hear how this goes...Will you post your range report?

Thanks

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

I Like The Shade Too!

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I only changed the main spring, shot two boxs yesterday, one of the HOT loades and another box from National Bullet all seemed to work OK. The hot loads ejected about 6 feet and the others about 3 feet. I will probely put the 18.5 lb and change the fireing pin spring after I finish with the hot loads. This is not a new Trophy Match I bought it new in 1996 and have not used it a lot. Not very good groups at first when new, so I never shot it much, than the front sight fell off and had to send it back in to the factory and while there had them do something to help the groups, now it is more fun to shoot.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts