1911Forum banner

Trophy Match

1514 14
Does anyone have one of these and can comment on it? I have a Colt Gold Cup and the SA trophy match seems pretty similiar. I know it comes with mag well, front strap checkering, light weight trigger, and 2 mags with slam pads but they want over $1,000 retail for the trophy match which is more than a gold cup. Is it worth it???
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
3,408 Posts
Sorry don't have one, but I just wanted to ask, if you already have The Original, why would you be interested in A Copy?

I looked real close at two Trophy Matches for sale locally, they didn't stand up to detailed inspection. There was no way they were worth the asking price to me, that's why I don't own one.

Suggest you look at one in person before you commit. Look the the back, how the slide mates up to the frame, on my inspection, the rear of the slide was wavy. Looked really 'hand-finished', by somebody in a hurry.

(Don't have a Gold Cup, but RRA and Les Baer. This shop was asking almost what I paid for the Baer.)

· Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nobody locally has one for me to look at. I found a couple nib on the net for just under $1,100. I like match target pistols. I love my Gold Cup but the new ones like mine can only be had in 80 series. I like the fact the Springfield is a 70 series and comes with a few extras my Colt doesn't have.

· Registered
641 Posts
After buying a milspec and having it built up by a smith, there's no way i would plunk down $$$ on anyone's extra-featured model.

You're in OK; Trident Precision Machine in Tulsa would build you a super gun.

They did for me :)

Attachments

· Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Baker, that looks nice but a match pistol is a must for adjustable sights for me. If I do a lot of mods to it the lifetime warranty will be void as well. May take a trip up to Claremore and check out what Mr. Nowlin can do for me. ;)

· Registered
39 Posts
SA Trophy Match

I have both, the GC and the SA TM. The main differences are 80 to 70 series parts, ils which I swapped out for S&A mag well & flgr, front strap checkered. When heading to the range I usually grab the SA over the GC.
And note to be look partial to SA, all my other 1911's (6) are colts. Overall, nice acurate gun to shoot.

· Registered
641 Posts
Nowlin is great, but, (FYI) Michael Bay at Trident trained under Armand Swenson, and ran his shop for a time. He can, of course do adjustable sights

About the best thing he does, though, is let you be a part of the whole process, and spend time with him as he is doing your gun, if you like. That really meant a lot to me.

· Registered
1,273 Posts
My SA Trophy Match 40 S & W has had one problem after another, but it is such a great looking gun (particularly with its serrated slide top) that I keep getting it worked on.

It is currently at Virgil Tripp's for chronic nosediving, FTLB, etc.

I am confident, though, that he will fix it and that I will get many years of enjoyment out of it.

I think that I just got a lemon, but I have no doubt that he can get it running.

· Registered
11 Posts
SA Trophy match

Its good ,my gun was tight and had a raspy pull as the spring slid along the guide rod out of the box . I lightened the spring .polished the G rod ,tweaked the trigger pull . You will have rear sight problems as its pined or screwed from underneath the side ,which will rattle loose ,while firing of a test group and you think Damn this is bad ammo.

I don't think its a match gun "outa" the box , I have had a few good days of 1.5" 10 shoot groups at 50 ft. So maybe it would do that at 25yd with a better shooter / reloads . :biglaugh:

· Registered
48 Posts
I have 3 of the TM's, two in .45 and one in .40. The .45's were both blue, and have been re-finished by Robar in MP-3. I have not had any problems with either one. The .45 that gets shot the most has about 25,000 +rounds thru it. I did replace the barrel with a BarSto that I had at about 25,000 round mark.

My .40 runs great as well with the right ammo, it has some problems with some hollowpoints, but with ball it runs fine.

I have never had any problems with the factory rear sight, however I did replace all the front sights with the Dawson fiber optic, which I really like.

All I have done to them is a good trigger job, the Dawson sight, and the finish, I would buy a TM again, and think it is a superior gun to the recent Colts I have seen.

STeve

· Registered
1,273 Posts
Even though I have experienced some problems with my TM 40 S & W, I still have my eye on the 6" TM (which only comes in 45 ACP).

I have a tricked out SA V-16 (45 ACP / 45 Super) which is incredible.

I like the fact that the TM comes with a checkered front strap, a serrated slide top and an ambi safety.

I wish that some of the other 1911 manufacturers, like Kimber and Colt, would produce 6" models.

· Registered
1 Posts
I bought a Stainless Trophy Match in .45 cal. about 4 months ago. I love it!

For work I carry a .40 cal Sig, which is a great gun for duty carry :cool: . If I had my choice, I would carry my Springfield.

I have a comp race gun along with a Colt National Match (both 45's) - The SA is number 1.

So far no problems - I mainly shoot lead through it.

Wilson mags are not locking the gun back when empty. McCormick mags work without problem. The comp gun is completely the opposite - likes Wilsons, not McCormick - go figure.

RJ :

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.