1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my TSR today.

I put 500 rounds of american eagle red box through the gun with great results, and few problems.

I was going to just wipe down and add some oil to the rails, but am having trouble field stripping the gun.

Basically, I can not remove the slide release by hand. This is my first high end 1911. I have not taken down a 1911 in about 20 years, but my memory and the old manual that I have the thing would just pop out with a bit of pressure from the opposite side.

I have removed the slide spring already and released the safety.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt:confused:

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Zebra,
Bears are tight. I got a TRS myself. Did you line the slide stop up with the take down notch in the slide? Just checking since you said it had been about 20 years.

Stacey

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Zebra,

if you have the notch lined up and the slide stop slightly pressed down it should pop out. It will be very tight though so don't be surprised. If it still is having problems, I suggest you take it back to the dealer and let them show you. I am sure they will and most dealers are very friendly about it. Besides I have a pretty good idea who your dealer is....

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes you do.

Thanks Peter.

I hope that Foutain Firearms is open today. If not, I will have to wait.

The gun is absolutely outstanding to shoot. We need to organise a Houston Baer shoot as you suggested.

Regards,
Matt

·
Registered
335 Posts
Matt, I have 2 TRS. I think everyone I shoot with up here in Austin owns at least one. :) Some have come from the factory tighter than others. But there is no real trick to moving the slide stop out of these guns. If yours is too tight, you may just need to break it in a little more. 500 rounds is a good start. I normally go about 1000 when breaking mine in before cleaning. If your gun shop isn't open today, then I suggest more shooting! :D OF course... that is my prescription for just about anything. Like... you know.. weak coffee.. bad hair day... rain... the answer is always .. more shoting. :D

Seriously, it shouldn't be too difficult to align the tab and move the slide stop. If needed a very light tap with a rubber mallet should drift it out. Once broken in a bit more, you should be able to deal with it by hand.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all - sorted!

I tried it again first thing this AM and it popped right out. I dont know what went wrong yesterday. I think it was probably just that tentative felling that you have a with new expensive toy. Dont want to put that first scratch on it.

In the end, I still dont have the first scratch, but I did break it down and change some of the oil.

Back to the range today for continued break in.

So far -

2 failures to feed. Both times were the 5th round in the mag, and they both happened in the first box.

1 failure with the slide locked back and one round remaining in the mag. Never seen this one before.

I am pretty sure that all of these failures happened with the same mag. Probably just a break in thing, as they all occured in the first 100 rounds. After that smooth sailing.

The gun is pretty damn accurate. I was just blasting away to put rounds through the thing and get used to the trigger pull, not really concentrating and continued to shoot around a jagged hole in the target as it got bigger and bigger.

Today may be a bit more patient. I will post a full range report later.

Regards,
Matt:)

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Zebra,
Glad you got it worked out. Some times the best thing is to just set something down and get back to it later. Do not ask me how I know :)

Have fun with it.

Stacey

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
plus some break free

I forgot to add that I left a couple of drops of Breakfree on the release hole with the gun on its side. This may have also helped.

More shooting was also useful. After another 300 rounds the gun came apart easy enough. I cleaned it up, lubed it and will take it out again this weekend for some more quality time prior to work starting back up again.

Regards,
Matt:)

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Did you take the mag out before trying to get the slide stop out? ;)

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yes.

I think it was just a little stuck and I was being too careful. Everything is super now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts