1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having trouble installing a new S&A magwell onto my 9151 loaded. The pin will not go back in. It appears to be missing by a hair. What gives? Any suggestions to make it easier?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Originally posted by Bushmaster225:
I'm having trouble installing a new S&A magwell onto my 9151 loaded. The pin will not go back in. It appears to be missing by a hair. What gives? Any suggestions to make it easier?

Thanks for your help.
Yeah...If you look really closely, you will notice that the bottom of the frame is not perfectly square. I fixed mine by taking a flat file and CAREFULLY filing the bottom of the frame so it was flat. If I recall correctly the back of the frame (back being the rear most part of the mag well) is where most of the metal had to come off.

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
if you refer to gunsmith rule #6
always work on the cheapest part.

you do not mention if it does not line up
from front to back or top to bottom?
if it is front to back refer to rule #6
and work with the S&A. a good part but also a mass produced part and a cast part.

if top to bottom, a magic marker (available from brownells
) on the bottom of the frame or the top part of the mag well may tell you where to work. Many have talked about the springfield frames being sharp. may it be simple as a small radius where the mainspring housing meets the well?
geo ><>

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Originally posted by George Smith:
if you refer to gunsmith rule #6
always work on the cheapest part.

geo ><>
Good point George (guess that's why you make the big bucks! :)

If Bushmaster's situation is anything similar to mine, I gradually blended in the S&A mag well to my Springfield and got to the point where I thought I was done. Installed the magwell and attempted to put in the mainspring pin only to find out that it wasn't going to go as the mainspring housing/well was sitting too low.

Upon inspection of the frame, you could see how the bottom of it was not cut straight; it was "deeper" in the back (nearer to the mainspring housing compared to the front). So I took a flat file and SLOWLY removed small amounts of metal checking it every few swipes.....about an hour later I was there (I did say SLOWLY didn't I).

You can take the metal off but its really hard to put it back on!

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Good point George. I learned more from that than everything else combined today! What are 1 -5?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Bushmaster225,

Is your SA loaded model one with the new ILS system in the main spring housing? I'm just curious as to whether a person could add a S&A mag-well to a gun with the ILS.

------------------
Any day above ground is a good day!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts