1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I have shot 400-500 rounds of fmj with my wiley clap commander. I think I have had two rounds that have not fed properly beyond that I have had perfect functioning. I decided to shoot some hollow points today. I was using 230g gold dots. I was loading my mags with 5 rounds i did this just to slow down my shooting. anyways I was having failure to feed at least on round per mag. It would eject the spent case but the next round would either jam into the feed ramp or get stuck with about half the back of the case pointing up outside the the ejection port. Im not sure if it was the ammo or my mags. Im using the ones that came with the gun. has anyone else had this issue with gold dots?

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Just a suggestion, but let someone else shoot the pistol with the same ammo. Could be you aren't getting a solid grip on it. Try a different brand of hollow points, As a general rule, Gold Dots and Golden sabers feed very well. Hornady has some new self defense ammo that is really good too. I had a 1911 several years ago, brand name withheld, that just wouldn't shoot hollow points for beans, but it would feed fmj's all day. It wasn't an expensive pistol and I chalked it up to poor quality and sold it. For a defensive pistol, it HAS TO RUN! You can't say "time out" in the middle of a fire fight.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think I will look into the mag and new ammo. I will check my grip next time out to see if that could be the issue. when it fired they work very well, very nice grouping.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Golden Sabres feed really well but I wouldn't say Gold Dots have the same rep!

·
Banned
608 Posts
Same happened to me with a new Kimber Compact CDP II and new Wilson mags. 500 flawless rounds of FMJ then swapped to HSTs and started getting the same malfunction as you. I sent it back to Kimber who reamed and polished the barrel and polished the feed ramp. That cleared it up.

·
Premium Member
20,345 Posts
Gold Dots have worked perfectly in both my 1911's and Glocks. There are two versions, the normal one and one made for short-barreled guns. Make sure you have the right one.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the help. I think I will by a box of hst and golden sabers and see how it goes.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
For semi-autos and especially the 1911, I favor the Golden Saber because of its shape. I think they feed well compared to the more blunt types of ammo.

·
Premium Member
20,345 Posts
And I find just the opposite. Shorter rounder bullets feed better in my 1911's. Just like hardball. Long tapered ones seem to hang up for me.

·
Premium Member
20,345 Posts
So far for a factory round I've found nothing better than the tried and true Winchester Ranger LEO rounds, the same as their old Black Talons, simply a different color.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts