1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Trouble with Kimber....(Updated)

I recently bought a Kimber Tactical Pro II. I intended to use it as a home defense pistol. Unfortunately, it has given me nothing but grief!

After I bought it I took it to the range and put several hundred rounds through it in order to give it the "break in" period. The gun had some FTE's and FTF's. No biggie, I said, it just needs some more rounds through it. Even after I passed the 500 round mark I still had the same malfunction. The extractor would not let go of the spent shell casing. It would remain pinned against the breech face. Another round would then attempt to chamber as the slide moved forward. This was a bit tough to clear considering that I had to pry the brass loose even after the magazine was removed.

I sent the gun back to Kimber. I will admit I was a little miffed since I had spent nearly $1000 on it and it didnt work. It was gone for a week. I was very happy that the turn around time was so short!

I took the gun to the range again and lo and behold....it still jams. It is the SAME malfunction as before. On the sheet they sent back with the gun they said that they had done "cleaning and lubrication procedures" and replaced the extractor.

I called Kimber to talk to somone about getting a new pistol. My confidence in this gun is ruined. I finally got the head of the custom shop whos name is Dennis. Dennis was rude to say the least. He interrupted me on several occasions. Now I am not a very happy camper. He basically made me feel like crap. At no time did anyone say they were sorry for my trouble. They offered to send a "call tag" for the gun. Dennis said he would personally attend to the repair of my pistol. The basic idea is that if the gun malfunctions once very 80 rounds or so they may or may not have it happen to them. This means that the gun might bounce back and forth between us. I would have hoped to have avoided this situtation.

I would be happy, and my confidence would be restored if they would replace my gun. Dennis flatly refused to do so. He said another interesting thing as well: he claimed that the recoil spring of the "Pro" series should be replaced EVERY 800 ROUNDS!!! He said that the spring for the full size is too long so they are forced to use the spring for the "ultra carry".

What a load of crap! Here's a novel idea: If the recoil springs for the full size dont work...and the ultra is too short....("too short" being HIS exact words) then how bout make a spring that DOES work? Why use one from a different model?

I am sad to say that I am beginning to lose respect and confidence in Kimber products.....and my treatment at the hand of Dennis (who is by the way the Head Honcho of the custom shop) does nothing to make me feel any better about their guns.

StudentoftheGun

By the way I know better than to limp wrist the gun. I also posted this same thing on the High Road, but felt that this forum might be even more appropriate. I realize that it says in the manual that the spring must be replaced periodically, but I still say theres gotta be a better solution....

·
Premium Member
4,787 Posts
Sad turn of events, to be sure. I hope that Kimber resolves the issues for you once and for all. I will spare you my opinion, and will instead offer you positive energy. Any gun can malfunction. Remember that. People will forgive you for fumbling the ball as long as you recover it. I hope they recover.

Be well!

·
Premium Member
13,220 Posts
I realize that it says in the manual that the spring must be replaced periodically, but I still say theres gotta be a better solution....
It says you should replace it every 800 rounds. You should be able to get 1000 rounds out of them. Its not the same spring as an Ultra. Its a full diameter Officer's spring at 22#.

You don't need a new pistol, it sounds like you just need to look at the extractor and make sure it's doing what it should and the channel and plunger are clean. The hook is tensioned by a spring and plunger in the external extractor.

·
Banned
5,943 Posts
Kruzr.......

Your post is a good representation of why I refuse to buy Kimbers. It sure feels great being treated like an idiot doesn't it?

Regards,
Sam

·
Premium Member
13,220 Posts
SamColtFan said:
Kruzr.......

Your post is a good representation of why I refuse to buy Kimbers. It sure feels great being treated like an idiot doesn't it?

Regards,
Sam
Sam, there are also people who have had a bad experience with Dan Wesson and Colt and every other manufacturer. There are also lots of positive comments about Dennis as there are about others of all the manufacturers. Maybe it depends on how you talk to these people. Calling them and telling them you are miffed and start barking at them doesn't seem to go very far. It sounds like in spite of his bad attitude, Dennis offered to pay for shipping back (a call tag?) and fix it. Student should take him up on the offer.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
This Dennis fellow certainly manages to get a lot of negative comments on this Forum. Kinda makes one wonder why he is still in his position, or is that fact reflective of Kimber's unstated customer service philosophy? After reading more than a few of these horror stories, I doubt that I will buy another Kimber. Yeah, I know that there will be problems with any gun, but how the manufacturer handles it makes a BIG difference.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Kruzr...

How exactly did you come to the conclusion that I called them and started barking at them? That wasnt how it went at all.

Do you work for Kimber? I would also like to remind you that I paid them for the gun. I have every right to complain.

Also Kruzr I have to tell you that I do know a thing or two about cleaning pistols, as well as some troubleshooting. I know full well what to watch out for as far as cleaning and lubricating the extractor.

I will end up sending the gun back. My post was more to let folks know how Kimber treats their customers.

In the meantime I would pose to you this question: If you paid about a thousand for a gun wouldnt you expect it to work out of the box? Or at least after sending it back once?

Kruzr has some vested interest in Kimber...or at least a great amount of loyalty to the product. You should keep in mind Mr. Kruzr that product loyalty does not help the gun function at night when a bad guy (or "goblin" as Cooper so eloquently puts it) is coming in your window.

In any event Kimber is very lucky to have such a devoted fan.

I WILL let everyone know how this turns out...good or bad.

Student

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
SamColtFan said:
Kruzr.......

Regards,
Sam
every manufactere has its bad apples...everything from colt to SVI...just depends on the customer service on whether you go back (one of the many reasons i WONT buy a colt ANYTHING)...you shoulda heard the treatment i got from the colt factory, you woulda cried...i was blatantly told that i dont know what im talking about and that i should stop complaining about the problem because its normal...(thank god i was calling for a friend and it wasnt my gun...this was about a year ago id say). However kimber, wilson,wesson and STI have been very helpful. Sig arms has a great custom shop to talk to and deal with, but the rest of their CS sucks from what i heard from my dad (they stall and make you wait b4 answering your questions, and bouce you through every department).

as to dealing with dennis...my first dealing with him was WONDERFUl...he was helpful and everything...the second left a little to be desired...i was calling to ask questions about parts the second time and he was snippy and rude...

·
Administrator
74,628 Posts
SamColtFan said:
Kruzr.......

Regards,
Sam
I don't know if it was "Dennis" who I talked to when I bought one of the first Series II Kimbers, but that was the way I was treated as well. Between being told the gun needed more rounds through it to break it in (it was already at 500 or so, how much more was it gonna take?), being told I wasn't holding the gun correctly, and asking me if I was really sure I wasn't using reloads (duhhhhh, I dunno), I wasn't treated like somebody who knew anything about guns. I can give you the rest of the story sometime, but I dont want to hijack this thread.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
StudentoftheGun said:
Kruzr...

How exactly did you come to the conclusion that I called them and started barking at them? That wasnt how it went at all.

Do you work for Kimber? I would also like to remind you that I paid them for the gun. I have every right to complain.

Also Kruzr I have to tell you that I do know a thing or two about cleaning pistols, as well as some troubleshooting. I know full well what to watch out for as far as cleaning and lubricating the extractor.

I will end up sending the gun back. My post was more to let folks know how Kimber treats their customers.

In the meantime I would pose to you this question: If you paid about a thousand for a gun wouldnt you expect it to work out of the box? Or at least after sending it back once?

Kruzr has some vested interest in Kimber...or at least a great amount of loyalty to the product. You should keep in mind Mr. Kruzr that product loyalty does not help the gun function at night when a bad guy (or "goblin" as Cooper so eloquently puts it) is coming in your window.

In any event Kimber is very lucky to have such a devoted fan.

I WILL let everyone know how this turns out...good or bad.

Student
how about spending over 1800 on a STI? and not having it work at all? My kimber is the MOST reliable gun in this house at this time...well over 8k rounds with 2 FTF's on a bad mag...mag went bye bye...so did the problems. every maker has its bad apples...and most have horrid CS. If theres one thing ive noticed about customer service...if you called as a concerned customer asking for help they treat you very well. If you call and start complaining how the pistol isnt working and that you want them to fix it and you know what your talking about when when it comes to guns...you get treated poorly. Did you attempt to adjust the extractor...or is this an external extractor gun? Kimber is notorious for having horrid extractors thats why they went with the external.

by the way as a side note...even tho my 9mm sti has been unreliable...i will buy from them again...AWSOME customer service...and once they looked at the gun, filed it a lil, and touched it up, it has been reliable, except occationally on the slide drop...but even that is getting better (only happends with 10 in the mag...not with 9.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
NJKimberSS,

I can tell you that I was as polite as pie. If you had heard the conversation you would know that I pretty much had a "hat in hand" attitude...and then Dennis started to be a jerk.

This pistol has an external extractor.

I have worked in retail customer service for big and small ticket items. I know that you attract more bees with honey than you do vinegar. Once again.....they should have fixed and adjusted (or whatevered) the extractor from the get go....or at least after I sent it back.

So your position is NJKimberSS, is that since you have been lucky enough to have a good functioning Kimber that I should just grin and bear it when my gun has issues? Am I somehow at fault because I didnt grovel quite enough when I called them asking for help?

By that rationale you should have kept the STI. After all if you were nice enough to them on the phone you shouldnt have had a problem right?

The bottom line is that for 1800 you should not have a problem with a firearm. I am sorry that you had trouble with STI. To me that is one heck of a lot of money to spend for it not to work.
I hope my Kimber can get healed up. I know full well that every manufacturer has bad apples. That is just a fact of life, and thats fine, but the company should treat those customer's well.

:)

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
What possible difference should it make in the quality of customer service you receive if you are upset or, heaven forbid, angry about a problem you are having with a company's product? A competent customer service representative should not buy into a customer's anger or take it personally. After all, it isn't about them. Instead, they should learn how to deal with these situations objectively and try to solve the problem. Any company that doesn't train it's employees accordingly and require it of them is, by definition, doing a poor job of customer service.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
So your position is NJKimberSS, is that since you have been lucky enough to have a good functioning Kimber that I should just grin and bear it when my gun has issues? Am I somehow at fault because I didnt grovel quite enough when I called them asking for help?
not at all...they should fix it, but give them a chance. I know you gave them one, but ever consider that maybe when they tested it, it worked? Somehow my Edge was tested b4 it left the factory and it worked...so maybe it was a fluke for the few rounds they shot through it. My issue is more with people saying the problem still exists so they must have dont nothing. I just know how some people can be, they think they are being nice but to others they sound like a total ass (not saying you did this so stop being soo defensive). Doesnt excust dennis' attitude at all, but its just an observation.

By that rationale you should have kept the STI. After all if you were nice enough to them on the phone you shouldnt have had a problem right?
not sure what you meant by this...
a) i did keep the gun...its been great since they fixed it, its breaking in just like cris said it would
b) I was very nice to them on the phone and they were extroadinarily nice to me, even answering such accusatory questions as What kind of oils they use, what ammo they use, who tests the guns, etc. Had zero problems with them...they even paid for all shipping and gave me a chance to fix it on my own if i wanted to (they would ship me the parts to do it)...tried that...couldnt fix it, sent it back to them with all the parts and they fixed it for me.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
hjk said:
What possible difference should it make in the quality of customer service you receive if you are upset or, heaven forbid, angry about a problem you are having with a company's product? A competent customer service representative should not buy into a customer's anger or take it personally. After all, it isn't about them. Instead, they should learn how to deal with these situations objectively and try to solve the problem. Any company that doesn't train it's employees accordingly and require it of them is, by definition, doing a poor job of customer service.
it shouldnt your right...however they are still human, the only way to get somone to be tottaly cold like that is to brain wash them. when you deal with these kinds of complaints day in day out they eventually aggrivate you esp since people tend to blame the person they are talking to...aka you call customer service and blow up at that person how the company is doing a horrid job. they have no controll over it, but people do that all the time. it eats away at a person eventually. its not a matter of being compitent, its a matter of being HUMAN.:mad:

·
Registered
358 Posts
There appears to be a pattern here with DENNIS THE MENACE. Recently the front night sight on my Pro Eclipse II burned out. I called customer service to arrange for repair work and I got Dennis in the custom shop. He said send in the slide and they would repair it. The conversation was very short, turn around time was 5 days (I got my slide back yesterday) and they replace the front and the rear night sight. The new rear night sight look a lot like the Heine Slant Pro and fits the shape of my Milt Sparks VM II holster perfectly. I'm very satisfied with the work but what will happen the second time I call Dennis? It sounds like 2 or 3 times is not a charm with him.

·
Premium Member
13,220 Posts
Student, no I don't work for Kimber. I just own two Kimbers that have been trouble free other than a sight breaking when my Stainless Target was new. I dealt with Dennis and had no problems.......he replaced it overnight and I had my gun back 2 days after I sent it to them. I own and have owned other brands of pistols also and have had problems with other companies just as you have a problem with Kimber so it can happen to any brand. My worst experience was with a company who has a "lifetime" warranty and who had very polite CS representatives but they weren't very helpful nor truthful. FWIW, I paid well over $1000 for a gun (not a Kimber or a SA) that has been back to the maker three times so far this year so I know what its like when it isn't fixed right the first time. I had the choice to take it to a smith and pay for the work or pay for shipping and send it back. I certainly had a difficult decision this last time on whether to send it or have it fixed myself. I decided to give them one more chance. My pistol is due back next week and then I'll see if all is good.

Your post said you were "miffed" but you are absolutely right, I don't know what was said in your conversation. I was making a generalization and I'm sorry if you were offended.

Personally, I'd rather talk to a rude person who actually works on guns rather than a nice polite customer service rep who can only give you lip service.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
After I bought my Kimber I called them for some information on the pistol. When I called I got hold of Dennis and he answered my questions. I got the impression that they were busy but he took time to discuss my pistol with me.

Hmmmm I wonder if he reads these threads??

plunker

1 - 20 of 42 Posts