1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I brought home a NIB NM Colt (1960 manufacture) today. I thought I'd strip it to lubricate the usual parts prior to a trip to the range Sunday (this pistol sat in a safe for 40 yrs). After removing the bar. bushing and lining up the slide stop, I simply can not push the stop out. Is there a different procedure for the NM v. the Commercial Model - or is this thing just stubborn because of "old age"?

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Roger D

[This message has been edited by Roger D (edited 05-05-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Roger D (edited 05-05-2001).]

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
Not wanting to sound like a smart a**, but did you line up the correct notch? The reason I ask, is that we have had members attempt to remove the slide stop at the slide stop notch on the slide. There should be no difference in the NM slide stop removal and the slide stop removal from anyother government model pistol.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
Molon Labe

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jim:

Thanks, appreciate the help and can use all I can get.

The answer is yes - lined everything up according to SOP. I field strip after every range session and detail strip following every 1500 rounds. Never had a problem w/ any 1911 before. This one has me baffled!!!

Best regards,

Roger D

·
Registered
510 Posts
I've consulted the books of Kuhnhausen and totally agree that there is nothing about that NM slide stop that's any different from what you're experienced with.

Guessing in the dark... it was fit real good where it goes thru the link and some oil or grease has congealed/dried. Hate to recommend this to anyone, and you might want to wait for more idears... I would probably shoot a mess of WD-40 down thru the hole vacated by the recoil spring plug... let that sit, then work with it some. Good luck and let us know.

------------------
Rust never sleeps

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Havoc:

Thanks for checking the Kuhnhausen; sounds like a simple case of messing around with it (gently & w/ a lubricant) until it frees-up. I'll let you know.

All the best,

Roger D

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
and ...... its out. A heavy spray of cleaner/lube last night and 8 hours did the trick (ancient dried grease/oil). Thanks again for the tip!!!!!

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
You don't want that old messy thing crowdin' up yore' safe anyway...Send it to me. I will make sure that it never, ever, dries up like that again!

Nasty old thing! You pore' fella' I feel so sorry for ya' I'll pay the shippin'...

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

MWLWN LABE!

[This message has been edited by gyp_c (edited 05-06-2001).]

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
gyp_c

A kind offer, but thank you, no. Well - its not nasty anymore - a detail strip and two hours of tlc took care of that. Now its off to the range w/ a few boxes of W automatic match 185 FMC's. I'll report back.

Regards,

Roger

1 - 8 of 8 Posts