1911Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got my Pro CDP and have put about 350 rounds through it. However, I am getting disappointed with the reliability of this gun. The problems I am experiencing are numerous FTF and FTE. The FTE are not stovepipes but the case seems to jam between the upper left corner above the feed ramp and the extractor. Also, sometimes the slide will just lock open after a round is fired but the magazine will still be half full. Several times I've had the empty brass fly directly at my forehead.
Both FTF and FTE have happened with Winchester White Box (185 and 230gr FMJ.), Fiocchi 200gr HP and 230gr FMJ, Blazer 230FMJ, UMC 230FMJ,
Worst of all seems to be the WinClean 185gr BEB.
I am quite frustrated as I believed a custom shop gun won't have any feeding problems, and its doing it even with FMJs.

Does anybody have any input on these FTFs and FTEs? Should I send this gun back to Kimber?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Before sending the gun back, try different magazines. Borrow some from others at the range, or whatever, but some or all of your problems could be directly related to those stinkin' shooting star mags. I've replaced all of mine with Wilson Combats and all my problems stopped. The follower on factory mags can move forward too much. The solid followers of the Wilsons are always in place.

If that doesn't solve your problem, then contact the factory, talk to Dennis, and ask his advise. You may have to send it back to have the extractor adjusted. But I don't think the extractor would cause all of the problems you describe. I'm still betting on magazines.

------------------
God Bless America!!

Danny
NRA, NAHC, Buckmasters

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Check the adjustment of the extractor. There's several books, or threads here, which describe the proper adjustment.

Don't fool yourself into thinking that "Custom Shop" means "flawless." It usually just means "$400 more."

·
Registered
389 Posts
I found that for about the first 300 rounds through my CDP it ocassionally had the problems you've been describing, but they seem to have disappeared by now (~600 I think.) I'm using the same Kimber factory mags as before. Maybe you should just give it a little more of a break-in period before you have anyone try to work on it...

------------------
"He who goes unarmed in paradise had better be sure that that is where he is."
-- James Thurber

[This message has been edited by Terrato (edited 12-10-2001).]

·
Registered
445 Posts
HEY HUBERTUS:GUNNUTS HERE,Give it a good lube job,Put it on heavy,Slap a WILSON #47 mag. it her and shoot the crap out of it,another 350 rounds should it,If not by then call KIMBER to send her back,just my 2cents:p

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
hubertus

You mentioned that you were having failures to feed and extract with your new CDP Pro. I did not notice a description for the failures to feed. Would you please provide a description of the most common faliures so we can comment on them for you.

Concerning the failures to extract, since you said that you are getting jams with the case between the upper left side above the feedramp and the extractor, there are a few reasons this is happeing. First are you sure you are holding the pistol tightly enough with a stiff wrist? An improper grip can allow the pistol frame to move too much so there is not resistance to allow the slide to go all the way back.

Second, you may have too much extractor tension. So the extractor does not let the empty case go when it hits the ejector, and then the slide tries to put the empty back in. Wait for a while to adress this. It may not be the problem.

Third there may be too much friction between the slide and the frame, so the slide does not move back fast enough to give the case a good kick out when it hits the ejector. This can be caused by having a slide to frame fit that is too tight, not enough lubrication between the slide and frame, and by having too much lubrication. I would first suspect too much lubrication, as it is a pretty common error for new shooters to make. Here is something you should try.

Clean and lubricate your pistol the way you always have. Now go to the range and do some shooting. The next time this happens, take the slide off and look at the frame rails. Are they full of oil, or grease? If yes, get a rag, or a cleaning patch and wipe all of the oil/grease off the slide and frame. Now reassembly your pistol and shoot some more. Did the problem go away? If it does go away, you had so much oil on the frame rails that you turned the slide into a shock absorber. All that oil was in the way and it could not move as fast as the slide needed to so the slide slowed down.

If the frame rails are almost dry, then Gunnuts is correct, you may need to add some oil. In fact Gunnuts suggestion lube your pistol up and shoot another 350 rounds is a good one for your breaking period.

To expand on his recommendation try the following. Take your pistol to the range clean and dry. Lock the slide back and put one drop of good old fashioned gun oil on each slide rail. Let it drip into the frame for a few seconds then close the slide. Put one drop of oil on the front edge of the barrel in the ejection port. Cycle the slide a few times. Now begin shooting normally, only repeat this process every 150-200 rounds until you have fired 500 rounds. Do not clean your pistol until you shoot the 500 rounds. Also you should use an ammo that is dirty, meaning that it generates a lot of powder residue, like Sellier & Bellot and Federal Americal Eagle. This way the powder residure will mix with the oil to become a mild buffing compound. This will polish any tooling marks of rough spots.

During this break in period do not worry about any failures. Just note what they are and shoot. If things go normally your pistol will begin to cycle noticably smoother near the 300 round mark. Also, during the break in period do not use anything that contains teflon or moly on the slide and frame rails. The reason is these are simply too good, they will let the slide move but not allow any rough spots to be smoothed out as fast. So you will extend your situation.

Once you have finished the breaking period, clean and lube your pistol normally for "score". Now if you get and failures pay attention to what they are and let us know so we can helo you. Taking notes may be helpful.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
195 Posts
My new Pro Eclipse was also FTE'ing, but mine were stovepipes. After 600 rounds, I sent it back. When they returned it to me, it still had the problem. Sent it back again, for good. They're sending me a new one, but have none in stock. :(

1 - 7 of 7 Posts