1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my Dawson/Para mag extensions and Im having little problems. I was told to use these pads with Wollfe +10% mag springs and the stock followers.

My first problem is one of the mags won't take the 21 rounds. Max I can get is 19. You can hear the springs binding when you get past 16. Almost like there catching the edges of the mag inside the base. Is there a proper break in or modification to fix this?

My second mag will take the 21 rounds but when I hand cycle the rounds out of the mag (not through the gun) the floor plate gets stuck. It only happens sometimes. Once the mag springs break in will this stop?

I just assembled the mags and haven't had time to go to the range yet. I didn't have these problems with the Arrendoe base kits so I thought I'd try and get info. on other peoples experiences with these pads.

Is it possible the mag spings just need a chance to break in?
Should I load them with 10 rounds and let them sit for a day?
Are there modifications that need to be done?

Like I said I just assembled them and tried to see if they would hold 21 rounds. In a match I would probally load them with 20 rounds to more easily seat the mags. Maybe even 19.

Thanks,
PARNATOR...

·
Registered
645 Posts
Fully load the mags and leave them overnight. I find that this helps "break them in". I would always load a Para mag with extended base pad one short of the maximum, sometimes that last round crammed in there chews up the follower.

·
Super Moderator
7,848 Posts
Check the bottom rear edge of your followers. If it is chewed up, it might not be getting past the part where the pad starts. Or, assemble the mag without the spring and follower. Then use a flashlight and look inside. Make sure the mag body inner dimension isn’t bigger than the inner dimension of the pad. That would cause a lip that the follower can’t get past.

Good luck to you.

Tom Freeman
http://www.limitedgun.com/PPPS

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Wilson recomended leaving my 10 round mags loaded for something like 2 weeks in order to break them in. It was a pain to load 10 rounds before they were broken in.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Paranator you wrote:
My second mag will take the 21 rounds but when I hand cycle the rounds out of the mag (not through the gun) the floor plate gets
stuck. It only happens sometimes. Once the mag springs break in will this stop?

I haven't seen a para Dawson basepad, but I have one on a SVi mag and it doesn't use a floor plate. Only the follower, Spring, and the Dawson basepad. Did you put the floor plate in it? Is that the way a Para mag goes together with a Dawson basepad?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DVC,
My appoliges. I ment the follower seems to get stuck. Im gonna load em up and let them sit for a day. Im also going to follow Tom Freemans tips. Anyone else whos learned the hard way feel free to post a reply.

Thanks for the help,
PARANATOR...

·
Registered
484 Posts
I second Tom's advice, I had similar problems with Grams mag kit for the .45 Para. Took some doing, but got it working, and I was showing my lack of patience due to the need for instant gratification. Glad I am older and wiser(NOT!) If you continue to have problems I would give Dave a call at Dawson's. He will help you make it work, his stuff is top rate and he give customer service personally. That is why he gets my business. Good luck and be safe, DC

------------------
front sight is good, front sight is good!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts