1911Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a MS "commander-sized" pistol and since new I had maybe 1 out of 7 cases where the extractor didn't pick-up after I fired. I shot mostly pmp 230grs FMJ. My question is:
1. is it the extractor that is causing it?
2. if so, can any aftermarket "heavy-duty" one fit my pistol?
3. Or is it under warrity and I should send the pistol back?
I love the pistol and have it on my ccw permit.
Roger

·
Registered
72 Posts
Roger, Yes it could be the extractor. I suggest that you make a post on the trouble shooting board. you will proablly get better answers there.

I see you are posting from NAS Fallon. Spent 10 yrs USN (RM2 NAC)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
3 years in the colorado army nat. guard and 4 years in the navy(uss independence) got out four years ago and still at the same base(working for boeing now)
Roger

·
Registered
300 Posts
Roger, This is a problem common with the CDs. Both of mine, and several others suffer from a very loose fitting firing pin stop which allows the extractor to "clock" and cause malfunctions.

I fit and install EGW oversize firing pin stops to combat this CD malady. It takes less than an hour with a file and/or whetstone, and absolutely immobilizes the extractor. BTW, I also get an EGW extractor when I order the stop. It's money well spent.

I can't speak for customer service at KBI, but you will probably have to pay shipping charges.
www.egw-guns.com

[This message has been edited by Big George (edited 10-30-2000).]

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Big George,
So aftermarket extractors do fit with some fitting? And what is the firing pin stops?
Thanks for the info
Roger

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hey Roger. I've got a FS CD and my firing pin stop was loose also so I got a EGW oversized one a fittied it. No problems so far and I didn't replace the extrator. The firing pin stop is the small peice of metal that hold the firing pin in(it has a hole where the firing pin stikes out), your hammer strikes it when fired. Hoped this helped.

Cyric

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, that flat piece that keeps the fire pin in...Can't believe I didn't know that is what its called.
Brownell should carry them, right? I will check out thier web site
Thanks Y'all,
Roger

·
Registered
70 Posts
Yes they do, that's where I got mine. If you plan on geting into 1911 then you should go ahead and order a Brownell's cataolg. It's only $5 abd you get that back on the first purchase.

Cyric

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I ordered the EGW fire pin stop from brownell(got a C&R FFL) and took my time fitting it and tested fired the pistol Sunday. No problems!!!
I want to thank y'all for helping me with this problem and for all of the great ideas.
Roger

1 - 9 of 9 Posts