1911Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my trp SS to the range today for the first time..

Reliably, the first round off the magazine would fail to feed whether i was releasing the slide from slide lock or using the slingshot method. Additionally there were a few other failures including failure to go into battery, one stovepipe-
Ammo was winchester FMJ clean-stuff.

Of course, it shot 4' low as people have complained...

Any recommendations?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Brother Methias
Would the people complaining of TRP’s with fixed sights not shooting to POA be the same ones who see no need for the adjustable sights on the TRP Operator! How do people expect any sight manufacture to make a fixed sight that will be dead on with any .45 bullet from 155GR- 230 GR at velocities ranging from 700FPs to 1200FPS. SA installs the Novak sights because that is what the customers ask for. If you want fixed Tritium sights to be dead on:
1.Install the approximate hight front for the 1 bullet weight you will be using without the Tritium.
2. Have the shooter brake in the pistol and zero with the 1 ammo( brand , bullet weight and don’t Bi**h when you switch Lots) that will be used by filing down the front sight to the proper hight.
3. The sights are drilled and the Tritium installed.
If you want ammo flexibility and Tritium you should consider the TRP Operator sights in the protected dovetail. All fixed sights on any caliber pistol are a compromise. SA could include 4-5 different hight front blades with Tritium installed at $100 more per sight (a $400-$500 increase per pistol) so the shooter could change the front sight every time they change loads. IMO that would be a pain and wear out the front dovetail eventually.
On the feeding problems:
1.Check the Extractor tension
2. Use good magazines ( IMO Wilson)
3. Use lots of good lube ( IMO Wilson Ultama)
4. Brake in min 500 rounds before worrying.
5. Brownells has Novak Tritium front sights in different hights if you want to do it your self some measurements and guessing is involved. SA will do the same thing with whatever their current test load happens to be and return it.
6. Have the SA Custom Shop install the Operator fully adjustable rear , dovetail front With 3 dot Tritium inserts in a protected mount for $275 (2002 price list) they should cover shipping both ways under warranty. A TRP OP front is .100 wide and serrated the Novak is .125 wide and smooth. I feel the .100 gives a better sight picture and matches the rear blade serration’s.
out.
2011BLDR

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
BrotherMethias

Concerning your feeding issues. What magazines were you using, and how many rounds were loaded when you had the first round failure to feed? Also, how was the round failing to feed? My first suggestion is that you clean and reassemble your magazines dry. Depending on how long the magazine has been stored it may have developed some tarnish that is afecting how the bullet case slides against the feed lips. Pay attention to the orientation of the follower spring as there is proper orientation and gettng them in upsidedown can cause the feeding round to nose dive by not properly supporting the front of the follower. Next load your magazines to cull capacity and let them sit for a day or two before your next range session. New springs need to take a set, a slight compression, before they are at operating length. So a new spring can place extra up force on the rounds in the magazine, this can have an effect on feeding and will be noticable by making loading a bit harder.

Before you condemn your sights, try shooting some more using 230 gr FMJ ammo. Lighter ammo may print lower depending on the distance to your target; which you did not mention. When shooting try to make each shot "count". Also, have someone else try shooting your pistol, as this will eliminate the possibility that you are inducing the low impact by flinching.

Edit: I forgot to add above. If you still experience a failure to feed on the first round and you are using 8 round magazines, down load by 1 round and see if the problem persists. If the problem goes away, that is your solution, just load 7 rounds (as JMB intended) in your factory magazines. If you are using 7 round magazines and the problem persists, try different magazines. Overall, trying different magazines is a good idea no matter how full the factory mags are loaded, since the more magazines you try and have the failure with, the more the issues rests within the pistol.

I hope this helps.
Str8_Shot

1 - 4 of 4 Posts