1911Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm a curious 'dead-cat' -- I have another 'newbie' question... Springfield's website doesn't clearly detail the features of their different models, and I'm curious about the extra benefit one would get (assuming they had the $$$) with a Pro as compared to the base-TRP.

(Is the Pro 'cherry-picked' for its performance, then sold for an additional $1,200.00, or are there measurable advantages and features besides the extra magazines ?)

Are there certain specific upgrades I should seriously consider for the TRP that come standard with the Pro ? --CC

{BTW >> if this has been previously discussed, please point me to the correct archives -- Thx.)

· Registered
162 Posts
I had asked Springfield's website customer service a very similar question, they responded quite quickly, but maybe not thoroughly...

"Can you please let me know (more specifically) the differences between the Custom Loaded TRP-Pro Model™ 1911-A1 and the Tactical Response Pistol TRP?"

Their reply;
"Thank you for your interest in Springfield pistols! The Professional model is a full custom pistol, and is the exact same pistol shipped to the FBI SWAT agents. It starts with the national match frame with the oversized slide rails, and all custom fit match parts including the hammer, sear, barrel, bushing, trigger, extractor, and firing pin. This model has to shoot 1.5" groups or better at 25 yards, using Remington Golden Saber ammo, or it does not leave the factory. (With match ammunition, this pistol would shoot 1" or better at 25 yards!!)

The TRP factory pistol is a standard factory pistol which has been designed to look like the custom pistol. It has some added features, including a better finish, and a quoted accuracy of 2.5" or better at 25 yards with match ammunition.

Anyone with a federal firearms license can order these pistols directly with our custom shop. We need a copy of the dealer's FFL on file to place the order. Estimated delivery on the TRP factory pistols is approx. 60 days from the date the order is received in our office. Estimated delivery on the Professional model is approx. 4-6 months from the date the order is received in our office."

Hope this helps.

------------------
"NULLUM VINUM FLACCIDUM"

· Registered
776 Posts
When I checked, that Springfield Prof. model was like $2200. Les Baer TRS ~$1500, Wilson CQB ~$1700+, and the TRP could be had for about $1300 or so. I think you're paying for the "FBI" model and nothing more. WHen I was at the NRA convention this past summer in KC, MO, the people at the Springfield kiosk couldn't really justify to me why the pistol was worth $2000. If anything, it may be because everything is hand-fitted in their custom shop. Otherwise, it's probably the name.

themao

· Administrator
17,797 Posts
One thing for sure about the Pro Model....It flat shoots! And keeps on shooting...

If you want a gun that works as advertised, and you have the extra dough laying around, you won't be disappointed in its performance.

· Registered
150 Posts
The amount of handfitting that goes into the Pro model is at a level far above that of the TRP and similar guns. You pay for a match fit slide/frame, barrel, etc. as well as a top quality trigger job. All the components are machined tool steel, no MIM or cast parts like on cheaper guns. The Pro also has Trijicon insert Novaks and Birdsong's Black T finish. "Just handfitted" is quite an understatement when referring to any custom handmade firearm. The name association may be worth a few hundred to Springfield or the end retailer, but the bulk of the price difference lies in the quality of the components and the extensive handfitting. To use a car analogy, the Pro is a Ferrari, while some of the other listed models could be compared to Corvettes or Camaros. There's absolutely a big difference, but it may not mean much until you've been behind the wheel of one.

· Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So, it sounds like one tangible difference is the... "national match frame with oversized slide rails..."

I assumed there was signficant hand-fitting of various parts... "custom fit match parts including the hammer, sear, barrel, bushing, trigger, extractor, and firing pin..." but this I suppose the close-tolerance hand-fitting of parts can is done by many good 1911-smiths.

Evidently the sights are the same on both models (Novak tritium night-sights)...

So, one could start w/a TRP and later have a good smith complete the custom fitting where necessary ?

Is there more ? --CC

[This message has been edited by Capt_C (edited 11-04-2001).]

· Registered
150 Posts
I had a TRP Operator for a while, and it had numerous MIM components. Since the other TRP's are in the same price bracket, it stands to reason that they are also filled with MIM components. Regardless of your opinion of MIM or personal experience with the performance, it's a less expensive set of parts. The Pro is filled with tool steel components. Extra fitting would not make a TRP into a Pro. The beavertail fit on the TRP's is also not as tight as on the Pro.

Bottom line: they are different guns with different components. One will not become the other.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.