1911Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sent an early stainless TRP model to Don Williams at The Action Works last March to have my dream pistol built.

It came back yesterday and it's absolutely wonderful! I haven't gotten to the range with it yet, but I'll give a brief report as soon as I can.

Hopefully I can get the weapon details and some pictures posted this weekend.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
dubb-1, sorry for the tease! I was so damn excited that I just had to get a post out there.

ontarget, The TRP was a great pistol, now it's equal to anything out there. It's what I've always dreamed of, and that's what I told Don that I wanted.

Here's a list of the work:

Fitted Ed Brown Match Barrel and Bushing
Cylinder & Slide Trigger/Sear/Disconnector w/Crisp 4# pull
Wilson Bullet Proof Extractor
Wilson Bullet Proof Firing Pin
Fitted Firing Pin Stop
Ed Brown Hardcore Slide Stop
Ed Brown Mag Catch Release
Trimmed Kings Single Side Thumb Safety
Weld-up and fit Wilson High Ride Beavertail
Fitted Mainspring housing
Lightly dulled checkering so it doesn't shread my jacket linings.
Re-Contoured and Serated Trigger Face
Black-T Finish over stainless
Beautiful Cocobolo Grips by Craig Spegel

My camera is old enough it doesn't take extreme closeups very well at all, so nothing but general pics. Sorry.

Finally, a personal "Thank You" to Don Williams at The Action Works. This is the third pistol that Don has built for me. His work is fantastic!

I'll post a range report after I get to pull the trigger on some live rounds.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I sent the gun to Don the first of March 2003. A very resonable turnaround time for that much work I think.

·
Super Moderator
13,665 Posts
Nice TRP. Sounded like you had everything replaced except the slide and frame.
I had an early production stainless TRP, although it functioned flawlessly and very accurate, it wasn't finished as nice as a custom piece. What did I expect for $800.
Congratulations again on a fine resurrection of the TRP.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys! In all seriousness, the pictures don't even come close to doing it justice. I wish I had a camera that would let me show the detail work that Don did. (Wife: Hint, hint)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Banker, your heartless:D . Got one coming back from Don soon, and the wait is killing me. Oh well, the worst I've seen him do was fantastic.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
*GASP!* No front cocking serrations!
*GASP!* Mil-Spec style rears!
Yep, it's an EARLY TRP all right!
Beautiful!! You've probably got better than a Bureau Model at this point. Be sure to carry an old rag to the range to wipe the drool off with :D

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
When I originally bought it, I had to beg my wife and make several promises that I later regretted. I paid $815 for the pistol, brand new. At the time, even I thought I needed my head examined. Now, as I look at the end result, I'm sure glad I did! :D

The fact that I grabbed one with no front serations was just frosting on my cookie. I've got this one and a NRM Colt that don't have the front serations and I definately prefer their look to my other 1911s that do have the serations.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Very nice result!

"Lightly dulled checkering so it doesn't shread my jacket linings."

I do this, too, better for CCW and in general.

And I see you got rid of the stinkin' oh-so-tactical mag funnel.
I did the same on my SS TRP. Can't get rid of the front grasping grooves, but oh well.

That's a very nice pistol now. Good job!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts