1911Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i have let this go for a while, my rear adjustable is adjusted ALMOST all the way over, and well i wanted to find out whats the best way i can move the site more to the right, that way i can adjust the site back into the middle.

any good suggestions?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ugh, that post wasnt to good in what i was trying to say, i need to slide the whole thing to the right, so it will correct my POI. after i get that done i can adjust the blade back to the middle posistion with the turn screw.

right now with the turn screw its almost all the way over on the right.

thanks

·
Registered
21,768 Posts
If it is a Bomar BMCS sight mounted low, the elevation screw is threaded into the slide. You can't move the whole thing over.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
then maybe it isnt, there is a channel, where i GUESS the site was pressed in and centered in that grove.

the site adjustments are all containted in that rear site...so what i am asking is how to i press/slide/move the site over in that channel?

thanks

·
Registered
91 Posts
Jim is right. You must have a gross problem with your front sight or barrel to need more than the adjustment the sight has internaly. Find the real problem.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no the site is not all the way over, maybe had to move the blade over 3-4mm. so its not that big of a move, just far enough for me to say the blade is over, maybe i should take a pic or something, but i still am wondering.........................

how do i move over the rear site without somekind of site press.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Odysseys: Jim and the others are correct in what they are telling you. If your entire sight assembly needs to be moved that much you may very well have some other areas that may need attention, especially if this problem has just more or less suddenly developed. The normally installed BoMar BMCS is fit into a dovetail and then the elevation screw fits into a drilled and tapped hole in the slide. This site can not be moved to the left or right of its proper position or the elevation screw will bind on the sight leaf.

The channel you are referring to is the dovetailed area that the sight body is indeed slightly pressed into. Under the sight leaf there is a set screw that is normally made tight against the slide to inhibit any movement of the body in the dovetail cut. Trying to move the BMCS or its clone by putting pressure on the dovetail will result in damage to the elevation adjustment screw, sight leaf or both.

If for some very strange reason a BoMar BMCS-2 was installed on your pistol (which is somewhat unlikely) then the elevation screw would be self-contained and you may be able to make an adjustment to the left or right in the sight dovetail cut. I truly doubt that you have this sight model or its clone on your pistol and you should carefully verify what you are doing before you start trying to move things around.

As an afterthought, what type of front sight do you have on your slide? Is it a tenon mounted model or is it dovetailed into the slide? If it is dovetailed into the slide perhaps it has moved, come loose or has been somehow bumped out of its normal position. It may be worth checking the front sight post especially if it is of the dovetail mount style and has not been pinned into the slide.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
My guess... you're a right handed shooter that is jerking the hell out of the trigger (no offense). If that ain't the case, there may well be some sort of fit problem with the gun.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
man i am almost lost now:rolleyes:
thanks for all the info guys.

well like i posted a while back i got the gun used off my friend, and the whole reason why he sold it was he had 2 and needed money. so i know the gun is and it was mint.

i think what i need to do is take pictures of it, the front and rear sites are dove tailed, and from what i can tell both are centered nicly, it was shooting left so i adjusted the rear over, and well now that its over like a 3-4 mm, i was trying to find out if i can get the whole site moved over that way i can center the blade adjusment in the middle again.

the gun shoots GREAT! i just wanted to get the sites better adjusted back to center versus having the rear adjusted over.

give me a few ill take some pictures of it.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Based upon the pictures you posted I do not see any issue with the front sight and I really do not see any problem with the rear sight. It is just adjusted to a point that it works for you and depending upon how you are holding the pistol and aligning your sights that is where it may need to stay. Someone else shooting that pistol could possibly end up moving the sight back to center or even farther to the left (ro right) to make it work properly for them - that is why they are adjustable. To me, based on the pictures, that sight is well within its adjustment range and I quite frankly have seen many that were much worse as far as being out of line with the main sight body, but again it was mostly because it was shooter dependent not that the sight was installed wrong. It could be that the only thing that is keeping your sight from being perfectly centered is that when the barrel was installed at the factory is was slightly offset to one side or perhaps that the barrel bushing was not perfectly centered to the barrel or slide - or it could just be you and the way you shoot it. I see by the picture that the sight is actually a Springfield sight and while very much like the BoMart has a slightly different dovetail cut, that is if they are still using the LPA pattern that they once were. I would not worry about the alignment of that blade especially if the pistol is shooting well. You are not going to be able to move the body of that sight around as has been indicated because that elevation screw is also drilled and tapped into the slide. Shoot the gun and enjoy it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
why not

just move the front site slitely. the rear sight is fixed in it's dovetail, if you try to move the rear site in it's dovetail you will mess it up, part of the sight screews into the slide. from what i understand.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Not sure what youre trying to accomplish here.

IF you could move the sight body over then IT would be offcenter on the slide and look REALLY bad.

Are you looking at this purely for the aesthetics of it?

If so youre probably not going to be satisfied even if you spent the money to have it drilled, milled, and moved which is your only option other than sending it to a very good gunsmith and having him fit the barrel to the sights (if thats even possible to the extent you want) OR last but not least and probably best leaving it, shooting it and being happy. ;)

Larry P

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
It ain't over that far. I too have seen much worse. That little is probably just the way you shoot the gun. Leave it, shoot it, and be happy.

If it turns out you are doing something to cause the POI shift (poor trigger technique) that you remedy later, you will be glad you didn't move the sight. It may just be the way you look at the sight, and that's fine.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks for all the info guys, yeah it isnt over that far, but far enough i THOUGHT i could just simply get it moved over so i could center the blade adjustment.

thanks again guys.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Get someone else to shoot the pistol just to make sure the blade needs to be that far over to shoot poa. If the pistol truly does need the blade that far over you may have a problem with the barrel bushing or even a slide with the bushing hole drilled off center. You can't move the front sight over because it has a roll pin thru it and the slide and would look worse anyway. You might gain some by widening the rear notch on that side but probably not enough. I don't blame you for not liking it but there is a fix.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
this is a TRP operator, no bushing.

bull barrel, and full lenth gide rod, but like ya guys saying maybe its the way i present it and shot it, regaurdless, if it is me, i am DAM good at shooting crooked...lol:biglaugh:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts