1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having trouble re-assembling my TRP Operator. The slide stop will not press past plunger spring tip on reassembly. I didn't have that problem with other 1911s and I don't want to slip and scratch the frame. Can someone tell me how they solved this problem?
Thanks

·
Registered
841 Posts
My TRP Op is the same way, you have to use a small jeweler's screw driver to push the plunger in and slip the slide stop in - you really need three hands to do this but you'll figure it out.

No idea why its like that. My TRP Op just went back to SA

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I've always used a sharp object to press the plunger, then push in the slide stop. You could use the tip of a ballpen, a punch, etc. This is the safest way to prevent marring the frame. Gunsmiths use this method as well, from what I understand.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. I guess I could build some kind of contraption that holds the pistol and the slide back thus freeing my hands to push the plunger in and the slide stop! Or, I could ask the wife to help. She always saying she wants to do more things together! Seriously, I'm going to call SA and find out why the plunger spring is so heavy. Maybe I can replace it with a lighter one.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I use a boxcutter blade and leave it in the wax paper wrapper than it comes in thin, stiff and won't scratch.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Those pesky plungers are a PITA! You don't have to build any contraptions. Position the slide where you want it and grip both the slide and frame firmly in your left hand, thumb through the trigger guard and palm on the front cocking serrations. It'll stay put. Then, you can use a tool if it's necessary to depress the plunger and pop in your slide stop with your right hand. Nix the screwdrivers, box cutters, etc. unless you really want to test that amory-coat's thickness. Use a pin punch (the kind with a cupped tip) to push in the plunger. It won't slip off the end and accidentally gouge your pistol's finish.

Tool is easier on all of my Springers, but I found last night that I can apply a little dollup of grease to the tip of the plunger so that the bevel on the back of the slide stop is lubricated as it is inserted, and I was able to put it in sans tool. Look at how the bevel is cut to go past the plunger. An ever-so-slight rotation upwards, toward the slide, will depress the plunger and allow the slide stop to go past it without a tool.

Also, be careful to insert the slide stop straight, and keep the slide properly aligned to the frame. Sometimes it seems that the slide stop is sticking on the plunger when in fact the shaft is binding as it goes through the barrel link.

Glad to see I'm not the only one that has trouble with these. HTH. :D

ol1911, why did you send your TRP back to SA?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks KellyRowe. Your right, I don't want to test the amory-coat's thickness. I'll give your method a try and I'll let you know how it went. I contacted SA and the CR said it's not the plunger spring but the plunger itself that is to long. He said eventually it should become easier. But like you said, in the mean time it's a PITA. Still, gotta love that TRP OP!

·
Registered
59 Posts
J-Street said:
Thanks KellyRowe. Your right, I don't want to test the amory-coat's thickness. I'll give your method a try and I'll let you know how it went. I contacted SA and the CR said it's not the plunger spring but the plunger itself that is to long. He said eventually it should become easier. But like you said, in the mean time it's a PITA. Still, gotta love that TRP OP!
Oh yeah, I'm a Springer-junkie. Got three in the safe, and one being built in the custom shop as we speak. I keep trying to 'splain to MrsKellyRowe, it's not a matter of need, it's way deeper than that! More like a religious awakening... :D

You know, even the Wilson Combat 1911 Auto Maintenance Manual says there are some slide stops that won't go in without a punch. That alone tells me it's not a design or manufacturing defect as some might suggest. That's just the way it is for some 1911's.

Long live Springfield! :D

PS. If you don't have a cup-tipped punch, you can use a heavy Fender guitar pick. That won't damage your finish. Hope you enjoy yours as much as I am enjoying mine!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I took your advice KellyRowe. I put some grease on the end of the plunger, put the slide stop through the link, pulled the slide back to line up the notch kept the slide stop nice and straight, put pressure on the slide stop over the area of the plunger and in she went! The grease and pushing on the slide stop on the right spot (over the plunger) did the trick. No tools of any kind or the need for three hands. Its been awhile since I've owned a 1911 style pistol (about 10 yrs) so I guess I was a little rusty. Thanks KR.

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
My TRP op is a pain sometimes too, but I keep my thumb nails a little long... I found a method where I can use my thumb nail to push in the plunger enough to allow the slide stop to go in :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Someone in this forum suggested using a credit card. It works well when I use it to depress the plunger and does not damage the finish. I keep a couple of expired credit cards on my bench for this purpose.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts