1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK - here's the short version of the story.

My NIB TRP Operator shot 6" off right out of the box. Not a big deal as I've had my Champion turned around in record time as it had some minor adjustments that needed to made out of the box as well - or so I thought. The Champion is at Tripp's being customized and it's been a hell of a shooter since getting back from SA...this OPerator though, seems to be a different story.

I got the TRP Op back in just 2 weeks time from SA, but this is what the adjustable sight looks like - !!??!!??

I've got my Kimber LTP alongside to show the startling difference between the 2 sights. Am I missing something here?? SA has told me througfh an email and 2 conversations that the gun was repaired and meets "factory specs" as they put it. The target they used to sight the gun in was included in the return package...it didn't make me feel any better.

I've emailed the SA folks these same pics along with the link to this Operator off their website which shows a normal adjustable sight, not some goofy looking home repair job gone terribly wrong. Someone tell me that this sight, with damn near 1/8" of space between the bottom of the sight and the top of the slide - is spec.

I've asked at this point for SA to simply replace the weapon, as the last thing I want from a brand new $1400.00 retail gun is to have some hacking or welding job done. (Yes, $1400, at least here locally in CT...what can I say, it felt THAT much better than the Warrior!)

Let me know what everyone thinks - for clarity purposes, here's the link to the OP from the SA website;

http://springfield-armory.com/images/pistols/PC9105LLarge.jpg

:bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling:
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
717 Posts
I missed something here.

1) Is the slide/rear sight combo the same one you sent in, or did they replace the rear sight? Maybe more to the point, did you buy it with the sight screwed down all the way, and the factory adjusted the leaf up to POA?

2) Is that sight (up) adjusted for your POA now?

3) Allowing for the different camera angles, the SA website photo and your "op5.jpg" seem to show that the rear sight is correctly "OEM". That's not to say that it's any consolation; I'd hold out for a replacement too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
717 Posts
Rob,

Ya think so? It doesn't look excessively tall to me.... then again, none of my guns are SA, and more to the point, they aren't hogged out in the rear like an SA. Is that common with SA's that have adjustable sights?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
moredes15 said:
I missed something here.

1) Is the slide/rear sight combo the same one you sent in, or did they replace the rear sight? Maybe more to the point, did you buy it with the sight screwed down all the way, and the factory adjusted the leaf up to POA?

2) Is that sight (up) adjusted for your POA now?

3) Allowing for the different camera angles, the SA website photo and your "op5.jpg" seem to show that the rear sight is correctly "OEM". That's not to say that it's any consolation; I'd hold out for a replacement too.
1 - same sight combo
2 - yes
3 - that photo, op5, is with me HOLDING down the sight - to show the extension of the screw on top and to emphasize how high off the slide it rides. Consider how innapropriate the weapon becomes for home defense when I attach an Insight MX6 and have the sights bumped off center inordinately easily because of how dramatic the distance is between the slide and sight.

IMO, it's simply incredulous that any respectable smith would send this weapon back out and NOT expect an upset customer, ESPECIALLY at this price point. Up to now, this has been more of "Kimberish" story!!
:scratch:

I'll update with SA's response, but was curious as to those who may have thought up a reason behind someone getting this gun in and sending it out off their bench in this shape. Thanks for everyone's time.:rock:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
296 Posts
Defective Sight/ Slide

Hi Again,
If your front sight was adjustable and you made it taller, the piece would shoot lower. The fact that they had to raise the rear so much tells me the front sight is too tall; OR, this may be related to barrel fit. My Loaded, on which I have had to straighten the dust cover, change the extractor, and reshape the ejector still shoots low at 25 yards. about 4 in. low and 2 in to the left. That aside, remember, you move the REAR sight in the direction you want the group to go. I have the Novak night sights and there is really no room to take any metal off the front sight. A friend is going to loan me a barrel to see if the point of impact will come up. Good luck with your piece. Somebody check my math, it's 900 in. to the target at 25 yards. The sights are 6 3/4 in. apart, which yields a ratio of 133.3:1, thus for every 1/1000th of an inch you move the sight on the pistol the POI will move .1333 in. GL HTH
Rob
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
robmkivseries70 said:
Hi Again,
If your front sight was adjustable and you made it taller, the piece would shoot lower. The fact that they had to raise the rear so much tells me the front sight is too tall; OR, this may be related to barrel fit. My Loaded, on which I have had to straighten the dust cover, change the extractor, and reshape the ejector still shoots low at 25 yards. about 4 in. low and 2 in to the left. That aside, remember, you move the REAR sight in the direction you want the group to go. I have the Novak night sights and there is really no room to take any metal off the front sight. A friend is going to loan me a barrel to see if the point of impact will come up. Good luck with your piece. Somebody check my math, it's 900 in. to the target at 25 yards. The sights are 6 3/4 in. apart, which yields a ratio of 133.3:1, thus for every 1/1000th of an inch you move the sight on the pistol the POI will move .1333 in. GL HTH
Rob
I moved the sight up about half way to the point where SA has moved the NEW sight, and the gun was still 5" high at 5 yards...yeah, FIVE YARDS. I gave up at that point as they're was clearly something wrong...my worry is that they'd stick a piece of metal in between the sight and slide to take up the space and call the gun "spec". AT this point, daddy just wants a new serial number sent his way - as I told them, if you think this is spec, bring it to SHot SHow in few months and sell it there!!! I didn't hear anything today although I left another message, so we'll see. Still time for SA to come through, but it's already been too much trouble for what the company's rep, and class of pistol calls for - IMHO.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,342 Posts
I am not sure what is up in Geneseo, but almost every SA I have shot in the past 3-4 years (Including 2 PRO models) have shot very, very low ranging from 4-6 inches at 20 yards.

The solution is a taller rear or lower front. Take your pick.
At least their Customer service is good.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
...I've read a surprising number of similar comments about some SA'a shooting significantly high or low out of the box -especially when I searched for any specifics on my sight problem.:scratch:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
...wow, I don't know how I forgot this, but when the Operator came back from SA, the ambi safety was bent to the point where it doesn't disengage unless you press down with both hands!!! Things like that make me feel better when ever I think that I'm being too tough on SA!!:rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
297 Posts
KimberDude,

I have a TRP Operator also. LOVE that gun.
Like you, I have found that the rear sight sits quite high
in the slide. It's not the prettiest set-up I have seen, but
it shoots SO well that I tend to overlook it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
314 Posts
A lot of 5" barrel SA pistols shoot a good bit low. Rather than send mine back to them, I spent $35 and ordered a new, lower sight from www.ameriglow.com. Its still slightly low, but not enough to worry about. IIRC, I got the .180 and they make them as short at .140 so if I ever feel like I need further adjustment, I can still make that happen.

It looks to me like SA didn't want to mess with an actual cure so they just adjusted the rear sight up to the point of being absurd. They need to replace your front sight and now, fix your ambi safety. This shouldn't be a big deal, but they fact that they didn't handle it the first time I'm sure doesn't give you a warm fuzzy about them.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,656 Posts
I'm sorry

That's just wrong. If that's what is considered "in spec" then I may be crossing that one off my wish list. And I want one in a bad way too. And the thing with the safety, they need to fix that one right away. Call them back, express your disappointment with the look/feel of the sight and make sure they know they messed up the safety. In the very least, it's going back for the safety.

Keep us informed of the progress.

Robert
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thearmedrebel said:
That's just wrong. If that's what is considered "in spec" then I may be crossing that one off my wish list. And I want one in a bad way too. And the thing with the safety, they need to fix that one right away. Call them back, express your disappointment with the look/feel of the sight and make sure they know they messed up the safety. In the very least, it's going back for the safety.

Keep us informed of the progress.

Robert
I've called and left messages now for three days - after having a second conversation that ended with me forwarding the same pics in the thread to the SA folks I'm dealing with...very strange that I've not heard anything back.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,656 Posts
I'd call and talk to Deb

But that's only because I dealt with her on my Mil-Spec customization (and she was incredibly understanding of my constant pestering and changes). I suspect, with Thanksgiving coming up, you aren't going to get much of a response until the following Monday. Hopefully they will figure out who is supposed to be responsible for this and get it fixed pronto.

Robert
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thearmedrebel said:
But that's only because I dealt with her on my Mil-Spec customization (and she was incredibly understanding of my constant pestering and changes). I suspect, with Thanksgiving coming up, you aren't going to get much of a response until the following Monday. Hopefully they will figure out who is supposed to be responsible for this and get it fixed pronto.

Robert
...spoke to Deb AND Megan last week - hasn't helped yet...hopefully soon.
:rolleyes:
 
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Top