1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone own one yet? How is it? Do you have a picture of it to post? I'm strongly considering one of these...
Thanks-

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, youre review was excellent. Did you say that the p101 did NOT fit well on the TRP Op.?

·
Registered
211 Posts
It fits ok. I was not used to the fit of the Surefire lights, and had to learn some leverage tricks to get them on/off, so it is now on the gun again. The ITI is still more streamlined, but the light is not as robust as the P101.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is good. I think this pistol is great, your overall review left some to be desired however. Have your feelings changed? Do you think this is capable for LE/Military duty? I heard that some prestigious military SF groups are using/considering thisi pistol...
Thanks for the info-

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That is good. I think this pistol is great, your overall review left some to be desired however. Have your feelings changed? Do you think this is capable for LE/Military duty? I heard that some prestigious military SF groups are using/considering thisi pistol...
Thanks for the info-

·
Registered
211 Posts
There's nothing wrong with the gun that would preclude it from LE/M duty. If the operator chooses the greater weight of the cone barrel/FLGR setup, then that's his choice. For a duty weapon, the full length rail/dust cover, IMO, is superior in functionality than the add-on rails out so far.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I'm strongly considering one of these...

Another potential victim heard from.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Well I was in the market for a new gun anyway. I saw one of the TRP Operators today. Needless to say I looked, I liked, and I bought. It definately has a different look about it, but it is pleasing to the eye.
Here is what I can tell you about it. Slide to frame fit is very good (tight laterally and up and down with no noticable play). The bull barrel has very little play when the slide is retracted. Trigger pull I would estimate at 4.5 to 5 lbs (very acceptable for a definsive hand gun). The additional weight in the front end is noticable but should prove helpful in target aquisition. The night sights were bright and green and the rear ones are set into a fully adjustable sight. The sandpaper like grips allow for a good purchase on the weapon (which might be prove painful after some extended shooting). The checkering on the frontstrap I would figure at about 20 LPI and is quite grippy also. I am left-handed and may benefit from the ambi safety. The ambi safety is a low profile type that proved to be of my liking.
The extended mag well was fitted nicely and looked like it belonged on this gun as well. The grip safety is extended and easily disengaged. Other than that, I can't tell you too much more yet. I put it on layaway today but will pick it up in early September. The only negatives I would say about it at this time is that it is costly (over 1,200 bucks) and I don't know how in the he!! I am going to find a holster for it. Hopefully that problem will be solved soon. As to the cost, if it proves reliable I feel I am getting my moneys worth.

------------------

·
Registered
211 Posts
The front strap checkering is 20 lpi. You can use the Safariland Adjuster holster for the pistol without a mounted light. The added muzzle weight actually slows down target acquisition from the ready or draw, but does change the characteristics of sight reacquisition after recoil or when moving between targets.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
I handled 3 different versions yesterday and by far, the Operator is the best of the bunch...Feels very businesslike and comforting in the hand...Haven't felt it with the added weight of the light though. For what it is, I think it's an excellent piece. Maybe the best thing SA has goin' right now. The Mil-Spec felt good but not nearly as complete a package as the TRP-OP.

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

I Like The Shade Too!

·
Registered
474 Posts
Hilton GZ,
Thanks for your input, I kind of thought it was 20 LPI checkering. I have read your posts about the TRP Operator over on www.pistolsmith.com but couldn't remember all of the details. Do you find the additional weight up front helpful on follow up shots? Also, what I meant by aquisition isn't necessarily speed related, but finding and holding steady on your intended target.
One other question for you. What magazines have you used with the gun? Have you found any that seem to work better than the others?
Thanks for the holster info. I will look into it.
John

------------------

·
Registered
211 Posts
John:
-I don't find the extra weight all that helpful on followup shots. There's 2 schools of thought on gun weight for shooting speed: light with fast movement/recovery, heavy with slower but reduced movement/recovery. I subscribe to the first school, so I don't dig the extra weight. It's kinda like the difference b/w shooting a steel gun vs. a long slide. My IPSC guns were all very light weight. I do better with the faster recoil recovery and am able to exploit the faster muzzle movement better. I find it slower to find the target with the heavier pistol.
-my pistol came with 2 Wolff/Metalform 7 rd mags and I've used those and Wilson 8 rd mags with 100% success

Last item: my pistol has ZERO extractor tension -- it will not hold a round slid up underneath. However, it has run perfectly well, so I'll leave it alone until it fails.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Hilton GZ,
Thanks for the info. Looks like I will be obtaining some Wilson mags shortly after I pick up my TRP-OP. Interesting note on the extractor (who inspects these things? that should be caught during QC). I appreciate your input as far as the weight issue goes. As for reliability, how many rds do you have through it so far? Any failures? Also, have you shot it for accuracy yet? What kind of groups did you get? By the way, thanks for putting up with my unending questions.
John

------------------

·
Registered
211 Posts
I haven't shot it for accuracy, as I tend to stink at holding still. I was able to shoot 4" offhand at 25 yds with about 3 sec splits (that's slow fire for me). I'm sure a calmer person could half that group. At 15 yds, it'll do 1-1.5" easily.

I only have maybe 500 rds thru mine. I keep meaning to test it more, but I have other guns with which I need to maintain proficiency, so it only gets shot "in my spare time." No malfunctions so far. Not even on of those gunwriter "nary a bobble" things. ZERO MALFUNCTIONS.

No problem with the questions. After all the work with pics and writing the review, I'm glad someone is finally taking an interactive interest in the gun!

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Oh I think everyone is interested. Your rreview was/is great BTW...very insightful too...I really liked the feel of the piece and could tell from your descriptions the benefits of the lighter slide...I tried to talk the sales guy into switchin' 'em around, but he started stutterin' and droolin' and sh** so I just left it alone...

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

I Like The Shade Too!

·
Registered
474 Posts
Hilton GZ,
One last battery of questions for you (I think). The ITI M-3 light system that you displayed on the pistol over on pistolsmith: How much does it cost? Where can I obtain one? Does it come with the mount? I know that you mentioned the light wasn't as bright as the others but is it suitable for shooting in the dark or near dark settings? I find myself liking the M-3 the best. It looks like it was made for this gun. Thanks again.
John

------------------

·
Registered
474 Posts
Hilton GZ,
Cancel above quesstions. For those who would like to know the ITI M3 tactical light can be found and purchased at www.botachtactical.com. Cost is 119 bucks but they are running a 15% off special at this time.
While it may not be as bright as the Surefire system the report a run time of 60 minutes continuous vs. 20 minutes on the surefire. The Surefires time can also be increased at the cost of some brightness. So the sources say.

------------------

·
Registered
138 Posts
ok...
so i wana buy one too- but is there a duty holster out there that will work? (with the $1,200 price tag, i'm REALLY tempted to just throw an extra $400 and get a sti edge in .40, but the holster problem is there as well.)

i can't belive that with this new trend in long/extended dust cover guns that there are next to no holsters out there...

***going nuts in no holster land***
Wyeth
[email protected]

·
Registered
211 Posts
As I noted in my review, Safariland is to produce some type of duty or tac holster for the Operators with ITI M3's mounted. Don't know much else about that. The lack of full dustcover/light holsters stems from:
1) no departments or units are issuing them -- this equals no large orders for the companies. Most of the guns up to this point had been toy or race guns, and fit into available Safariland open top game holsters.
2) too many different light/gun combinations

The soft tactical holsters from Eagle, Blackhawk, et al, can accomodate different variants, as they're not hard molded to a specific shape.

The ITI M3 does not utilize a separate mount, and clicks right on to the Picatinny rail of the Operator. Mine fits a little loosely, and tends to slop back and forth. The ITI's light output is quite satisfactory for low light work. I've only shot it a limited amount in low light, but I have worked with it on my Glock 23 rather extensively, and its light output is sufficient for real world work. The Surefires can use a 60 or 125 lumen module, which affects brightness and sustained run time.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts