1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody,

I've got a question. I've recently discovered SA 1911's.... (I know I've been under a rock.) I'm a huge 1911 fan. I have a few colts and a Kimber stainless gold macth series I. The kimbers shoot a lot better than the colts. I also got a great deal at the time ($1030 OTD in Ca). So my question is I started looking at Sa's and the TRP "floats my boat" (visually) but I've found it for about $1130. I've seen some great value in a SA loaded w/nite sights for $650 but at $1130 for the TRP would I be better off buying custom gun like a Les Baer or WC for a few hundy more? Let me know your opinions but please no "flamers!" I know I'm in a SA board but hope to get some objective points of view.

Thanks in advance,
Rob

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
In my opinion, the Springfield TRP is a lot of bang for the buck. It has the options and fitting of a semi-custom (or semi-production, however you want to word it) pistol, just not to the degree of hands-on attention that you get with one of the three big dogs in semi-custom 1911s. Of course, if you think you might want to spend $1600, you might as well spend a few hundred more for an Ed Brown, right? :D

If you're in the price range of $800 and $1200, I'd go with the TRP. If $1100 is at the bottom of your price range, I'd go with a Les Baer, Wilson Combat, or Ed Brown; they're all fantastic guns and are well worth the money. If you like the bare features over the quality hand-fitting, the TRP is great. It has a checkered front strap, a good trigger, and nice sights. It's a good pistol. If you compare it to an Ed Brown, for example, it won't hold up in the internals department; the Ed Brown 1911s have phenomenal hand-fitting and tuning going into them.

If you're taking a gradual step-up from entry-level 1911s ($400 to $800), and this will be one of the first where you have stuff like a checkered front strap, I'd go with the TRP. However, if you already have a Kimber Gold Match, this might be your time to invest in a fantastic 1911, the "semi custom" range where Les Baer, Wilson Combat, and Ed Brown 1911s lie. Of course, that's a whole other discussion (I'd go with Brown), but it sounds like the Springfield will probably just be an equivalent to your Gold Match to you. :)

Andy

·
Premium Member
20,305 Posts
I agree with Andy. While it's a fine pistol, the TRP doesn't have anything on the Kimber Gold you already own. I'd also recommend saving the extra money and going for one of Ed Brown's wonderful pistols. My "entry-level" Kobra Carry is so far above anything offered by the main-three that the cost difference is negligable.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Guys,

Thanks for the imput. Both of you kinda said what I was thinking but I wanted to "put it out there" for responses. One problem is that I'm in Ca and don't have the options that "free" america has.

Thanks again,
Rob

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
You bet, Rob. Actually, saying stuff like that makes it more clear to myself as well! Sort of an out-loud monologue when I'm considering what to get. :)

Andy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts