1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dream gun for the past year or so has been a SA Professional. Haven't yet decided if I'd get one with or without the rail. I already have 2 rail guns that I use for SWAT. (MC Operator and Kimber TLE/RL) Anyway, today while at the gun show a dealer had 2 guns laying side by side on his table. The Professional ($2100) and a TRP Tactical ($1100) The only difference I saw was that the Pro has a blued barrel. (I like the look) I do know that the Pro comes out of the custom shop and is hand fitted but to those of you that have one of these or better yet someone that has (or had) both, is the Pro really worth the extra $1000 bucks?

Opinions please!

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
I have A SS TRP and simply love the way it feels and shoots. It has an extremely good fit and finish. Slide to frame fit is excellant as is bushing to barrel. The slide cycles very smoothly and she is accurate.

If you use the search function and search on Pro or Professional you will get a bunch of info about why the PRO is even better than the TRP. Hand fitted this and that....better barrel, parts, finish, etc.

The bucks spent give solid return on investment in either gun. It all depends on what you are after. My TRP does the job just fine for me, but others definately prefer the PRO and have good reasons for doing so.

You can download a work spec sheet from S A's Custom Shop on their web sight that explains some of the differences between the TRP and PRO if the work was done to a 1911 by them in their custom shop which should show you some of the differences in the guns bought NIB.

Good luck and good shooting to you.

Be Safe, Shoot Well.:rock:

·
Registered
60 Posts
"Wolfgang" posted this on 06/25/02 -

The TRP is a factory pistol which has been upgraded with a few features to make it look like the full custom Professional model (FBI SWAT pistol).
The Professional pistol is a full custom pistol which begins with a national match frame which has the oversized slide rails, cut into the frame in our Geneseo machine shop. It uses all custom parts, including the Springfield Custom tool steel hammer & sear, Nowlin barrel & bushing, S&A mag well, Wilson ambi thumb safety, Novak low mount rear sight, dovetail front sight, match skeletonized trigger, standard guide rod system, and 6 specially tuned Metalform 7 round magazines. These pistols are hand assembled by custom gunsmiths in our Geneseo custom shop, under the supervision of master gunsmith David Williams. The Professional models meet or exceed all specifications of the FBI SWAT contract, including the accuracy requirement of 1.5" or better at 25 yards with Remington Golden Saber ammunition. The civilian pistols and the FBI pistols are built at the same time, with the gunsmiths never knowing whether a civilian or FBI agent will be using the pistol. These pistols are built approx. every 45 days, with the FBI order being filled first and civilian orders getting all of the remaining from the production run. These pistols do not have front cocking serrations or full length guide rods because the FBI chose not to have these features on their pistols. (Front cocking serrations catch on clothing and full length guide rods require additional tools for disassembly.) These pistols are finished with the Black T finish done by Walter Birdsong in MS.

The TRP pistol is a factory pistol which has been upgraded with more hand fitting than a standard factory pistol, as well as a 2 piece mag well, night sights, and better tuning internally. It has a quoted accuracy of 2.5" or better at 25 yards with match ammunition. It has the front cocking serrations and full length guide rod, just like the other factory "loaded" models. These pistols are finished with Springfield's Armory Kote finish, which is a painted on, baked on finish similar to the Black T finish.

Deb, Custom Shop Coordinator
Springfield Inc.
420 West Main St.
Geneseo, IL 61254
(800) 680-6866
[email protected]

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info guys! This helps me alot. The way I now look at it is this. The TRP is not that much better than some of the 5" guns that I already have, (like I said in my original post, the Pro is my dream gun) I really think that it would be worth the wait to save money until I can afford to get my dream gun and not buy the TRP and still wish later that I had a Pro.

This was just the first time I had seen them side by side. The dealer at the gun show had the actions strapped closed so I could only look at the cosmetic outer appearance. They do "look" similar while just laying on a table!

·
Registered
948 Posts
HELLFIREman06 said:
accuracy requirement of 1.5" or better at 25 yards with Remington Golden Saber ammunition.

These pistols do not have front cocking serrations or full length guide rods because
SOLD! :rock:

No seriously, I just made up my mind. I was trying to decide between a TRP, TRP Pro, and the black bull barrel one with the adjustable sights.

TRP Pro it is! *waits another paycheck* ;)

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
So, did you buy the gun?

For me, the TRP is a dream gun. It was on sale for $1239 locally for a while (a great price in my area), but was marked down $200 this past weekend.

I was debating on buying the new Sig Revolution or the SW 1911 DK (the cheaper DK) - both were laking 1 thing I wanted - The Sig had no magwell, and the S&W had all black sights. So, each would require 1 change.

The dealer had both the stainless and the armory kote TRP. I honestly would have bought the stainless first, but it was kinda marked up a bit. The Armory Kote TRP was in almost perfect condition (both were new, but he marked them down because they have been in the store since Feb).

I was looking to spend around $1000. The TRP Operator probably would have been my absolute dream gun, but I couldn't come up w/ that extra cash.

If this TRP would not have been marked down, I would not have been able to buy it. So, for me, this is an awesome gun.

Only way I could buy a $2k gun would be to win the lottery. I suppose I could have waited another year and continued to save. But considering I am not a rich guy, and not the best shot in the world, I don't think I even need a $2k gun (unless of course, I do win the lottery 1 day - then I will buy many) :p

·
Banned
1,370 Posts
I own both a SS TRP and a TRP Operator and while both are extremely tight, accurite and well made they just aren't in the same class as the PRO.

However for as well as I shoot these days both the TRP and the Operator will do me fine for a lot of years to come.

By all means if you can swing the PRO I am sure you will not regret it but the TRP isn't a sloppy pistol either.

Karsten

·
Registered
11 Posts
HELLFIREman06 said:
"Wolfgang" posted this on 06/25/02 -

The civilian pistols and the FBI pistols are built at the same time, with the gunsmiths never knowing whether a civilian or FBI agent will be using the pistol. These pistols are built approx. every 45 days, with the FBI order being filled first and civilian orders getting all of the remaining from the production run. These pistols do not have front cocking serrations or full length guide rods because the FBI chose not to have these features on their pistols. (Front cocking serrations catch on clothing and full length guide rods require additional tools for disassembly.) These pistols are finished with the Black T finish done by Walter Birdsong in MS.
If they were built at the same time, and the smiths dont know which are going to the FBI/civilians...then how come the professional has the front serrations and the TRP doesnt???

·
Registered
229 Posts
That means "the civilian Pro's and the FBI Pro's are built at the same time, with the gunsmiths never knowing whether a civilian or FBI agent will be using the pistol". The TRP is not a "version" of the Pro and they are not built by the same people. The Pro is hand-built exclusively by the gunsmiths in the SA Custom Shop. The TRP is a standard production model built in the factory.

·
Premium Member
9,709 Posts
If you check things out real close, I believe the TRP is fixed sight Trophy Match. SAme specs, just in Pro model format.

·
Administrator
18,603 Posts
czp01 said:
If they were built at the same time, and the smiths dont know which are going to the FBI/civilians...then how come the professional has the front serrations and the TRP doesnt???
The Professional does NOT have front cocking serrations. So your question needs to be rephrased for it to make any sense.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Since I got my Pro, I hardly shoot my other 1911's and am begining to wonder if I should hold on to them. It is a dang nice gun. I also pondered the price, but I got a deal I couldn't refuse, no regrets on getting it.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I've seen posts on other sites that go something like "I'd go with a 1911 if I could find one that is uber-reliable". My Pro is "uber-reliable". Through over 2000 rounds of all sorts of stuff, it has never puked. I'm sure you could spend more to build a custom, or find a cheaper gun that might be as reliable, but I have yet to see ANY negative post on the Pro. Check the Brown, Baer and Wilson forums to see if you can say the same (not trying to start anything as they are all great pistols, just uncanny how consistent the feedback on the Pro is)

PS- it looks pretty too.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.