1911Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that the TRP is made from the standard machined springfield frame/slides as opposed to their custom pistols. .. so what's the purpose/ special reason the frame/slide are specially numbered and kept together? Do they simply try a bunch of frames and slides and see which ones seem to fit best together? (as opposed to the trp pro where they are ?hand fit together)

Also, can anybody compare the trigger on the trp to the standard springfield loaded model? is there any real or intended difference? Mine seems pretty stiff, more than the 4lb claimed... is there supposed to be some additional triggerwork?

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Brother Methias said:
so what's the purpose/ special reason the frame/slide are specially numbered and kept together? Do they simply try a bunch of frames and slides and see which ones seem to fit best together? (as opposed to the trp pro where they are ?hand fit together)
I think this is probably a pretty close guess. My WWII Mil-Spec has the slide serialized to match the frame. So to me this shows that the frame and slide are selectively fit together (i.e. they fit togther and the parts are neither too loose nor to tight) then marked so they don't get mixed up later in assembly.

[/B][/QUOTE] Also, can anybody compare the trigger on the trp to the standard springfield loaded model? is there any real or intended difference? Mine seems pretty stiff, more than the 4lb claimed... is there supposed to be some additional triggerwork? [/B][/QUOTE]

There can be a real difference, and depending on what the spec sheet says at the time your pistol was made, not when you bought your pistol, the differencs may be intended. Sometimes the Loaded pistol will have a better trigger pull than the TRP. So, your trigger pull may be heavier than 4lbs. Though this may not be out of spec for when your pistol was made. The specification may have been 4-5 lbs +/- 1/2 lb. So the acceptable trigger pull range is 3.5 - 5.5 lbs. My suggestion here is clean and lubricate your pistol then go shoot it a lot. Trigger components will wear in a little, and it is very possible that if your pistol is new that the oil from the factory has stiffened between being assembled and delivered to you. After shooting, or dry firing, about 1000 rounds if the trigger still seems stiff have the weight of pull checked (Fishing weights are good enough for this). If it is significantly greater than 4 lbs contact Springfield and discuss your situation and ask what a trigger would entail and cost. When you contact them, give them your serial number and ask if they have the spec your trigger was set to. If your pistol is out of spec, or you want the trigger adjusted, ask about a trigger job. If the trigger is out of range Springfield will probably take care of the situation, otherwise ask what the charge is.

I hope this helps.
Str8_Shot

·
Registered
110 Posts
All TRP’s are simi -customs major parts are numbered and hand fitted prior to coating. That is why the product codes are PC = Custom shop and the serial prefixes are NM= National Match (over size rail specs for hand fitting). The major differences between a TRP and a TRP Pro are:
1. Hand cherckering of the front strap VS machine cut.
2. Hand fitting of a “over size” match barrel VS a “simi -drop in” match barrel . In fact the TRP Operator “simi-drop in” match bull barrel meets or exceeds the Pro Mod accuracy standards!
3. Hand Tuning of 5 magazines that still ant worth S**T IMO .
4. Various minor technical QA test / Inspection / performance / mean failure rate points that all GOV. Contracts contain and manufactures charge for.
I know SA ‘s web sight can be confusing, the custom shop pistols are spread out under different lines. No matter where you find it all pistols with a PC at the start of their product code are custom shop pistols.
Any good 1911 Smith can take a TRP check the barrel lock up top and bottom , re-link and fit a .200 slide stop giving you a hard fit that will have to fire 500-1000 rounds for break in and will be the equal of the Pro IMO. I suggest you read the following threads :
Questions on new TRP
Operator TRP
Out.
2011BLDR

1 - 3 of 3 Posts