1911Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm in the market for one or the other and I was wondering what are the differences between the two besides cost(and checkering & magwell) .
Is it mostly fit and finish? slicker action-slide? Is there an accuracy standard for thr TRP?
What I'm trying to ask is, What does the extra money go twards?
Up till this point I've handeled and shot entry level 1911s, a colt mark4, and a les baer and theres a BIG diference between the entry level guns and the baer and what I want to know is how much of a step twards the les baer level of gun does the extra money get you ? thanks

·
Registered
108 Posts
The TRP will be finished nicer and have a nicer trigger. It also, like you stated, has the magwell and stippling on the front grip along with a smoother action. Overall, it's a better pistol, but it's "worth" is very subjective.

I recently bought my first 1911 and my final two choices were a SS loaded or the SS TRP (2nd runner up was a Colt NRM). I could not justify the additonal cost of the TRP (almost double the SS Loaded in my area). Since it was my first 1911 I figured I had some learning to do so I went with the loaded. The money I saved can go towards ammo and additonal features. Sure, it's no TRP, but it's still a nice gun IMO. I've had no regrets and the pistol (so far) has functioned flawlessly. Bonehead has managed to put some dings and scratches in it, so I feel a lot better since it's 'only' a loaded...although I do still feel bad about it. Good thing Stainless can be buffed!

Like I said, whether the addional cost is worth it, only you can answer that. Can't go wrong with either decision IMO.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply.
I wouldnt say its "only" a loaded. I'm very impressed with the loaded package. I'll probably end up with a stainless loaded in the end, Its just that springfields page is somewhat understated in getting to the nitty gritty of what I may be buying. And I am trying to figure out the catigories of (precieved) improvements for the guns in different price ranges to find a compromise between what I want and what I can afford.
Good thing Stainless can be buffed!
Absolutely. Scotch bright pads rock for descratching stainless.

In my area, there arent many gun shops that would have one of each on hand for me to handle and compare so its a tough call when trying to decide what to buy. So I have to rely on 12 pages of online owner feedback and then try to compress all that info and form my own opinion before buying but its still a shot in the dark.
thanks again.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I had to go to a couple of different stores before I was able to handle both versions. The TRP was my favorite, but not for the money (my money anyway). I really debated in my head purchasing the TRP over the loaded but I just couldn't do it. I found a loaded for $669 NIB and I was sold.

The thing that bothered me the most was for a couple of bills more than the TRP I could have had a nice semi-custom/low end custom gun. But for the couple of bills more than the Loaded I could almost have a MilSpec (or that Ruger 22 I've been wanting). The TRP was nicer, no doubt, but the sample I fingered had a poorly fit magwell. I thought for the price it should have had a nicer magwell. The trigger was really nice, though, nicer than any loaded I tried.

P.S. Did you know you could install the slide stop even though the slide is not properly aligned with the receiver? You can if you force it hard enough. Don't ask me how I know. Funny thing, it goes back together much easier when you do it correctly...and your thumb won't hurt as much either.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
P.S. Did you know you could install the slide stop even though the slide is not properly aligned with the receiver? You can if you force it hard enough.
:p I know what you mean. I have since started cleaning/ Reassembling my guns away from the shop where the hammers are:D .

I found a loaded for $669 NIB and I was sold.
I would have jumped on that too.

The thing that bothered me the most was for a couple of bills more than the TRP I could have had a nice semi-custom/low end custom gun. But for the couple of bills more than the Loaded I could almost have a MilSpec (or that Ruger 22 I've been wanting).
That sums it up perfectly.
I've even thought about buying a loaded with the option of having it 'worked' later if I felt it needed it but there again, the overall investment cost gets up there with the TRP priced guns(or more).

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
TRP vs. Loaded

The TRP also has a fitted Storm Lake barrel. The slide and barrel on mine are numbered with the last digits of the SN, so I think there is some fitting going on that doesn't happen with the Loaded. I don't have a Loaded to compare handy. The TRP Armory Coat finish seems to be holding up better than the blued finishes with which I have experience. The front strap has machine cut 20 LPI checkering, to correct somebody above who said it had stippling. My TRP had tritium night sights, which I don't think is a base feature on the Loaded. I am not too sure about the parts in the gun. My "gun mechanic" slicked up my older Loaded and my TRP, and I think he said the innards were the same (sear, trigger, disconnector). As a matter of fact, he found a small chip or something off the TRP sear that made it look worse. It didn't require any "fixing." The main reason I went with the TRP over the loaded was that I found a used one (it didn't look like it had ever been shot) for $830, I think on this forum. Too cheap compared to a loaded at $650.
There a very comprehensive thread somewhere here about the TRP vs. the Pro, there may be a similar thread about the TRP vs. Loaded, posted by Deb of S/A.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Santa-Deb just dropped off (via FedEX) my trp-ized loaded not 5 hours ago. It left my house as a vintage 2003 loaded model, but was transformed prior to returning. I also received a double handful of parts that SA replaced during the process. I can only guess that they represent the difference betwixt the loaded and TRP. FWIW, they were:

FLGR (replaced with a different, all SS FLGR)
Recoil spring (seems heavier)
Barrel
Barrel bushing
Hammer
Hammer strut
Hammer pin
Extractor
Ambi-safety
Grip safety
MSH (replaced with checkered MSH)
slide release
Trigger
Spring plug
Mag release
FP stop
All frame pins
Ejector
Ejector pin
plunger tube

Added features:

20 lpi front strap checkering (machine)
satin finish
mag-well
flat-bottomed grips
tritium inserts for front and rear sights
combat action job
reliability tuning

In all, I think it was worth the $600 I spent. I added all the stuff up prior to sending it off and concluded that I would spend at least that much having someone else do it. I figured I would have to spend 1/2 that much to get the sights/checkering/mag-well alone.

N.B. the replacement parts appear to be all stainless whereas the replaced parts appear to be hardchromed carbon steel. Thus, the colors didn't quite match.

SA does have an accuracy guarantee for the TRP, but I mis-remember what it is.

The trigger is improved, but I couldn't say by how much other than it has almost no noticable creep.

The "shaving-sharp" edges have been removed, either through the satin-finishing process or via some dedicated edge-smoothing process.

About the only thing I may change is the grips. Instead of the grit grips that come with the factory TRP, I got wood ones. That and the 2 - bumper pad mags seem to be the only difference between the factory TRP and retro-fit. However, I got some Ed Brown bumper pads and attached them to my Metalform mags (would those be MetalBrown or EdForm mags?). Two dabs of blue locktite per mag and off to the races I go.

I'll post some pics once I get back from xmas with the outlaws. It is going to drive me nuts not being able to shoot it until after xmas. :D

HTH,
P

·
Banned
1,370 Posts
I would tend to agree with Col132 about the pistols with the best overall value in the SA line up.

I have a SS TRP, TRP Operator and the Compact.

The TRP is an excellent choice in a mid range pistol considering the added options and features in my opinion.

I would be interested in a report on function and accuracy for PTGlynn and his upgraded Loaded.

That could be a way to go for one one a tight budjet but it seems that you spend more than the TRP would cost to start.

I paid $1050 for my SS TRP and couldn't be more happy with it.

But you also have to weight is a few factors as well. How well can you shoot, what is the intended role of the pistol going to be, how serious do you take your practice sessions or range plinking time.

Face it, a $2500 pistol sitting in the safe is no more accurite than a Mil Spec doing the same thing.

Some can justify the added expence and some can't. Others here will settle for nothing less than a TRP PRO.

I mean no disrepect but think about yourself and habits as well as skill level. (Note to self.....I am not even sure of my skill level :biglaugh:

You could buy a Mil Spec (what most had to start out with years ago) then start modifing it as you advance up the ladder. The start of the IPSC race gun was one.......He with the most toys won matches.

That can get pricy unless you are a smith or have a friend that works for free.

You can avoid some of the above mods and start with the Loaded and then start up the ladder. In time adding this or that little trick, new trigger, lighter this or that, heavier springs and bingo you are again out big bucks and in need of a new fix.

So you sell that one and opt for a TRP or even a lower level semi custom to fit the bill and so the vicious circle goes.

Plan on buying the best you can justify then save a few hundred more and find a shop with a lay away plan so you can pay the rest off :D

Oh the stress and we are just talking something out to say 50 yards :confused:

Let's build a Tactical Bolt Action and see what we can spend, that circle will never end :mad:

Karsten

·
Registered
120 Posts
You could get a Loaded or Mil Spec throw in a match barrel and a few other things, you wouldnt have a "TRP" but youd have a sweet custom pistol.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Plan on buying the best you can justify
That seems to be the essence of my dilemma. As with many people, I want better than I need.
I'm trying to find the nicest gun that I wont feel guilty about buying everytime I look at it.

I've almost settled with a fullsized loaded ss at this point. With the option to trp-ize later if I feel froggy.

The added bonus of the ability to have custom work(in springfield's shop) done and still keep a factory warranty means a lot to me.

Whatever I choose, I'll be sure to post a picture when I get it.

Thanks for all replys--mean it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
TRP vs others

I own a TRP that was sent back to SA and "tuned" and it truly does shoot more accurately than I can hold it. I also own a milspec, and run it more often, I lucked into my TRP for 800.00 ( yep with a Galco holster, mags case and ammo ) and it eats winchester white box, and most ammo but not NOT CCI from walmart.

TRP, is it worth the cost ?, that depends on the user. I always say it aint the gun, its the guy behind the gun. I can chew up 4" centers at 50 ft all day with my milspec but i can run the target to the back wall and punch the little orange dot with my TRP. I keep the TRP in the safe, and use my milspec with a 10 rd ipsc mag with one up for 11 rds of 230 defensive rounds as my daily carry .

I like my TRP, it is smooth and accurate, and close to a custom, but I am sending my milspec off for a complete "smith" so we will see.

If you find a TRP at a good deal, buy it, but never rule out a base milspec, they are reliable , accurate and if they arent send it back.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts