1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What modifications are done on a TRP compared to a 'standard' loaded model. There website says it has "nearly the same performance and features as a TRP-PRO MODEL".

I am looking for a solid 1911 that I don't have to send out for reliability work. At this point I've narrowed it down to either a TRP or Wilson CQB. I've looked at the Kimber CDP, but I don't think the frame will hold up over the long term.

The weapon will be used primarily as a carry/match (IDPA) gun.

Thanks in Advance.
Dagwood.

·
Registered
110 Posts
My TRP is a much better gun than the 'LOADED' I gladly sold. My Loaded model was one of the worst POS guns Ive ever owned. My TRP is much nicer in everyway imaginable.

I also have a CQB and if forced to choose between it and the TRP, I would definitely chunk the TRP. The TRP is not a bad gun at all but, the wilson is at least a step ahead in every direction. Same church, different pew.

I think the site picture is a tad better with the Wilson. The checkering and overall lines of the Wilson are also a little more comfortable from a handling perspective. Both have been equally reliable for me. Both companies also have an excellent reputation for their customer service.

Both the TRP and CQB are really nice guns that I enjoy owning but, I find myself bringing the Wilson to range a lot more than the TRP. I dont carry either of them but if I had to choose between the two I would choose the Wilson again.

[This message has been edited by SHUZ (edited 10-03-2001).]

·
Registered
402 Posts
It wasn't long ago that I was in your shoes. It ultimately ended up being a matter of money. Among reputable dealers you get what you pay for.

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
I am looking to step into a target intended 1911. I am Colt blue and am considering the Combat Government. Also looked at but not shot the Springfield TRP and Wilson CQB. Is it a limitation that the CQB is the only one of these which has no adjustable sights? I am saying it seems like a carry piece and not a target pistol. Like the other two.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all. Actually I've been taking a look at a Kimber Gold Combat. From what I understand Kimber is selling more guns than SA and Colt combined.

The CQB is probably a bit rich for me right now. While the TRP does appear to be a good gun, it is a bit rough (has sharp edges). I also took a look at Les Baer. Nice gun.

All things being equal, it looks like I'll get the most bang for the buck with a Kimber. Besides, it is about $400 less than the CQB. That should give me enough money to buy a case of rounds, holster, ammo pouch, and reloading components. Heck I might even have enough penny's to take Momma to Burger King.

If there is anything else I need to be aware of, please let me know. I can always change my mind up until I put the money down.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Had you ever considered just buying a base gun and having a smith build it the way you want?
A Custom Classic from Kimber, Mil-Spec from SA or a Gov't Model from Colt will set you back 5-600 and leave the rest for personal improvements that you and your smith of choice can decide on...It'll still leave some dough for ammo and toys of various flavors...There are several here and many, many all over the world...
Welcome to the forum and enjoy your choices...Take your time and choose "wisely" you can have your cake and eat it too if you're careful with this first purchase and do some good research...By far and away, a pistol that has been adjusted and tweaked to your specifications will beat the crap out of a production pistol every time...

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

!!!Molon Labe'!!!

·
Registered
117 Posts
"Springfield loaded a POS."

Takes one to know one.

------------------
What part of "shall not be infringed" needs 'splainin' ???
----------------------------------------------------------------
PowderBurns Black Powder / Muzzle Loader Forum

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the great input.

I just ordered a NIB Kimber Combat Gold. Really good price, free shipping and CC uplift.

Can't wait.

Thanks.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Dagwood,
If you don't mind me asking, what's the approximate price on the Gold Combat? Looks like Kimber's answer to the SA's FBI contract gun. I'm in the market for a new 1911 and am exploring all of the options.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I ordered it off Gunsamerica for $1350, no shipping, no CC uplift. (www.bauershooting.com).

This is over $200 less than my local dealer.

Actually I had thought about getting a base gun (about $600), but my wife knows (She says its all the extra 'stuff') I'll get it worked on (night sights, reliability job, etc) and after adding up all the things I knew I was going to do this seemed to be the best deal.

It was shipped yesterday, so I expect to have it in my hands by COB tomarrow. Oh yea.

Dagwood

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Having shot and owned both the TRP and Loaded, I will say they are both good 1911s.
I prefer the TRP because it has 20LPI checkering on the front strap, combined with an old Wilson Ached MSH 20 LPI is gives positive grip.

The loaded found its way to my friends boss, and he loves it. the 1911 runs and shootsd everything he feeds it.

The Kimber Gold Combat is a good pistol out of the box. Have one of those in the stable too. Major problems IMHO, is the 18LPI checkering, it is too smooth compared to 20PLI. Has those ****ty Kimber night sights, easy solution Novak or Heinie. Lastly personal choice-GI Plug get rid of the FLGR.

I bet my life on either my TRP or the Gold Combat on a daily basis as they are my choice of daily carry 1911.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My current carry gun is a G26. This gun will have to undergo the same 'proving period' as the Glock, and my other carry gun (Sig P229, 40 SW).

Hopefully it will live up to the Kimber reputation, thus allowing me to up move to a 1911 as my primary carry gun.

I'll probably use Pro-load 200 GR, or Hydra shok as my carry load, but again, it will have to pass the 'no failure' test.

Hopefully I can take my new baby out Monday night and give it a try. I'll let the forum know how it goes. I'll be using Speer Lawman Ball, and 4.6 titegroup over 200 Laser-cast 200 gr RN. I also have an 18.5 wolf spring, and 3 Wilson 8 RD mags.

Oh yea.

Dagwood.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I took the new toy out yesterday. Only had two FTF, one about 100 rds in using the stock mag, and the other at about 200. I think the second one was induced by my son, who either didn't seat the magazine or limp wristed it.

Accuracy is very good, much better than my Sig. I was able to keep all the shots in one hole at about 10 yards. Not bad considering it was snowing, very windy, and getting dark.

So far, so good. All I need now is my holster and mag pouch to come in. Proabably within the next couple of weeks.

One very happy Kimber Kamper here.

Dagwood

1 - 14 of 14 Posts