1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Looking to purchase one of these fine pistols. I'll be using it for range duty, and maybe someday competition.

I have spent a lot of time on the SA web site, and other than the type of sites and grips, I can't tell why the TRP retails for $300 more than the Trophy Match.

Does anyone have any info they can share? Any first hand experience with one vs. the other?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,511 Posts
Welcome to the forum!!

I have a TM 5inch and TRP operator - so the comparison of the two. The TM has the adjustable target sights and the TRP (non operator) has Novak style sights. Both are VERY ACCURATE and both of mine run reliably. Not sure what the MIM part count is in either pistol, cause that is a NON issue to me for the most part. Both are built on NM serial # frame (assembled in the USA).

The TM is SS finish only.

If you are considering it for competition in the future and not for carry or CC - then I would recomment the TM with the adjustable sights for out of the box. However Adjustable Novaks are available for a very reasonable price as well for a TRP mod.

But they are both prices at about $1200.00 for the ones I have seen.

·
Registered
207 Posts
My TRP Operator (Full Rail) came with adjustable night sights. I love the gun. But I'm not aware of the any real difference between the non-railed TRP and the Trophy Match, except 300 bones. I'd go for the Trophy Match.

·
Premium Member
5,511 Posts
I have to add this! If you are considering a range pistol and do not NEED the front strap checkering - look at the Traget loaded. PX9132L - It will shoot just a good with a 20 EGW bushing + or - 1/2 group at 115 yards as will the TRP for 500 bones less!!!

For example here is a target I shot with a SS mil spec. $575.00
EXCUSE THE FLIERS!!!!

This target is from my TM - TM average retail $1100.00

The pistol is only as accurate as the steady hand that holds it.

TM is much tighter group - but I got mine at a great price - but I would not have spent $1100 for it.

·
Registered
699 Posts
As far as I can tell, a SS TRP and a TM are pretty much the same except for the looks and the adjustable sights. I have the SS TRP, and want a TM to go with it for what its worth...

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
Have both and would spend the extra $300 on the TRP. Maybe they are practice guns for the guys at Springfield who are being recruited to build the FBI pistols, but every TRP I've seen appears better built than the Trophy Match.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone for your feedback.

I went to the local gun shop today that had a good selection of 1911's. After checking it out, I realized I didn't care for the shiny black finish on the Armory Kote of the TRP. Sitting right next to it was the stainless version which to my surprise, I actually thought looked better. That's unusual as I am usually not a stainless finish kind of guy.

So, he had great prices but I wanted to think about it. So as I was searching the web for more info, my regular internet dealer that I usually do business with, had a new in box stainless TRP for $1330 delivered to my local FFL (which is a $20 transfer fee). That's about $60 better than my local dealer AND I don't have to pay the $122 in sales tax for a savings of $180. So, I ordered one! I feel I got a good price with retail being $1,741

I didn't care for the finish on the Trophy as it was too shiny and had that reverse coloring on the slide. That was too bad as I would have bought it over the TRP had it had the finish of the stainless TRP.

And I also went with the TRP because I know myself well enough to know that if I went with the TM, there would always be this little voice in the back of my head wondering what I was missing (if anything) by not going with the TRP.

So, now my question for everyone is what brand mag do they prefer?

Thanks for your help!

·
Premium Member
5,511 Posts
Congrads on your purchase!

Lots of folks like Wilson mags - I have some and they function well. You may want to investigate Tripp Cobra Mags. I have heard lots of great things about them.

·
Registered
699 Posts
You're stoked either way, a TRP is always reason for a high five, and a TM is too. Off the bat I think I'd appreciate adjustable sights, but my revolver sights have been knocked around, and that sucks. My Glock is small and light, so it takes care to shoot, but has fixed sights and will pop a quarter at 25 yards if I shoot good. When I first shot my TRP about a year ago, it just felt right, and the first shot was almost dead-on bull at about 10 yards. I dont shoot as much as I'd like to, but me and one of my pals stopped and looked at each other for a second and thought, yep, it was absolutely worth it. Rock on and shoot it till your hand and/or wallet hurts!:rock:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts