1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of buying a couple 10 round Powermags for my new TRP just to play with. I want to make sure the extended base pad on the mags will not interfere with the magwell on the TRP. I would hate to order the mags only to find out they won't seat in the gun.

Thanks

Jason

·
Registered
339 Posts
I do not have any ten round Powermags, but I do have the eight round ones and they do not interfere with the magwell in any way. I would suspect that, given the similar architecture, the 10 round powermags will fit just fine. I recommend hitting up Brownell's and buying one for testing and if you're satisfied, buy more of 'em. I prefer the eight rounders because I had a bad experience with the Kimber ten rounder once and am just getting over it. :dope:

·
Registered
138 Posts
I am a big fan of CMC Power magazines and have them in both 8 & 10 round versions. I installed a Ed Brown mag funnel on my Colt Gov. and the large outside mag base would not seat easily because of clearance problems on the mag funnel. I could of filed a about .020" off the top of the magazine base but I'm too lazy, so I just installed a low profile magazine base that came with my 8 rounders. Problem solved! Brownells sells the replacement base plates if you have none or you could just file the plastic ones down. The CMC Power Mags are a Great product for the money.

·
Registered
699 Posts
8 rounders work great in my TRP, I'd guess the 10's would too. It may just depend on the individual gun. Search around for prices before ordering, you can save quite a bit.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have several of the 10 rnd CMC Power mags.

I have a TRP Operator and I use 10rnd CMC Power mags with perfect results. However, my buddy has a SS TRP and his 10rnd CMC did not work with his gun (magwell clearance issues), so I now have his too. SWEET!! Looks like a 50/50 shot.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Trp

I have 6 10 rd. Power mags and do not have any problems in either of my 2 TRP's. One has a S&A magwell and the other is still factory.

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
At best, it'll be a crapshoot as to whether the CMC Power 10's will work without trouble with any unmodified magwell due to the huge baseplate they have. I have eight that wouldn't work with an Ed Brown Maxi-Well (they contacted on the sides) until I opened up the Maxi Well a bit to better match the frame/magwell opening on the gun.

I would not personally recommend removing the basepads and using a shorter one as the basepad on the CMC Power 10's acts as an over-insertion stop to prevent you from shoving the mag right through an open slide when reloading at slidelock.

If you don't want to file/modify your magwell, you could file on the sides of the base pads to allow enough clearance. Or you could buy some Wilson 10 round mags with the welded on over-insertion stop, or some MecGars which, IIRC, don't even ahve an over-insertion stop on their 10 rounders.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Wilson

Just be careful with the Wilson Mags. If you insert them with authority too many times it will break the weld on the little tab.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts