1911Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today, after 9 weeks, my blued TRS (what I call TRS #1) came back from Les Baer. In August, Baer replaced the barrel after one of the feet sheared off (at about 5000 rounds). When I got it back, the barrel was slightly misfit and the frame and barrel were showing signs of battering so I sent it back again. The slide stop crosspin seemed undersized and the hole in the link seemed oversized. In addition, the guide rod was rubbing on the slide and had peeled back a sliver of metal on the guide rod head.

This time they got it right! It appears that the guide rod, slidestop, link, and slidestop/safety plunger were replaced. In addition, Baer reblued the entire pistol. Its like a new pistol! The current barrel now has 400 rounds through it plus however many Les shot.

I just got back from the range where I put 170 rounds through it of American Eagle, range factory reload SWC's, and my target reloads. As it says on the invoice...."Function Flawlessly". When I stripped it, there were no signs of rubbing anywhere there shouldn't be......no more shiney "metal to metal" hits.

Over the past 9 weeks, I called Baer 3 times to ask about the status. Tim always was able to give me an update and his time estimates were met. He also apologized for the long time. Invoice total was zero. They also threw in a couple of shirts in the package :) . Other than the long wait, I'm happy with the work they did and glad to have both of my TRS's functioning. :D

·
Premium Member
13,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
10ring said:
Did Baer pick up the shipping both ways? Both times?
I paid shipping to Hillsdale.........3 times total. Once was my elective to have them "check out" the pistol after I bought it slightly used. I was charged $12 for shipping back to me once.

·
Premium Member
13,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
CCV said:
How's the gun running now?
700 or so more rounds and everything is great with it now. :) No problems of any kind or "rubs" since its been back.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Not to rain on a parade....

not to stir the pot but did it upset you at all that they elected to send it back to you the first time with all the problems? That is the only part that makes me mad about LBC lately. I can understand mistakes but don't make them twice.

I think it is fair to say that the first time is a mistake but the next time is negligence.

Glad to hear you putting lead downrange again.

·
Premium Member
13,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Not to rain on a parade....

dd_king said:
not to stir the pot but did it upset you at all that they elected to send it back to you the first time with all the problems? That is the only part that makes me mad about LBC lately. I can understand mistakes but don't make them twice.

I think it is fair to say that the first time is a mistake but the next time is negligence.

Glad to hear you putting lead downrange again.
No, I wasn't upset after the first time as much as when I got it back from "being fixed" (the second time). After I got it back the first time, until the barrel lug broke, the only problem I was having was the gun was still so tight after 5K. Apparently too tight as evidenced by the break. When I got it back after the barrel was replaced and the gun was beating itself up, yes, I was mad. At that point, I was out about $100 in shipping and 8 weeks in time.

After I fired off 2 e-mails (both unanswered) and calmed down, I wrote a very straightforward, business-like letter asking Les to put me in that group of 100% satisfied customers that he says he strives for in the General Terms on the LBC price sheet and sent the gun back.

So far, so good. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts