1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This post (my first) should have ben done a couple of weeks ago. I bought myself a new TRS in blue for a Christmas present. I only had to wait 3 days to get it after ordering it through my rod & gun club. I wanted another 1911 (I already had a Kimber Warrior). It took me 6 months to make up my mind and after watching the Les Baer forum, I realized that this was the only 1911 forum where there were very few major complaints about feeding, quality or anything else. This forum almost seems to be a Les Baer pistol 'love fest' compared to the others. I decided that The TRS was the quality 1911 that I was looking for.
I took delivery on the Saturday before Christmas and was not able to get to the range until Monday. At the range, I picked up 200 rds of Federal Eagle 230 gr ball ammo. I had 7 mags with me. The 3 that came with the pistol, 1 Wilson 10 rd, & 3 Wilson 8 rd. I loaded up the mags and started putting rounds down range. My primary considerations were reliability and handling. Accuracy was secondary during this break-in period, although I did notice that I had several sub-4" groups at 10 yards. Rapid fire or slow fire, double tap, limp wrist, long range or short range. It didn't matter. My new TRS functioned flawlessly and I was elated. The only real problem was 2 of the LB mags interfered with the slide lock after the last round. I put those in my range bag and had no more functioning trouble. I had a reliable, well handling pistol.
I was able to fire 150 rds before I started feeling sick and had to cut short my session. I waited til later in the week as I got sicker, and was diagnosed with a burst appendix. Other than that and a few very minor problems, I was satisfied. Sorry, no pictures yet, but I will take some later after my next range session. I'm sorry if this post is too long.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Dang a burst appendix!! Thats not fun for Christmas! :eek:

Hope your feeling better and can get out and put another 200 rounds down range, that TRS still needs some shooting man!!

Oh yeah and pics are needed. :D

·
Banned
549 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Congrats on your new Christmas toy.
Regretably this will lead to more sickness (hope you recoved from your attack)
for more Les Baer toys. I also caught the dreaded LB viras and have several.
Enjoy a great pistol.
Oh after your breakin period re try the other LB mags, they will probably work after it is broken in.
Happy New year to you and your Bear.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Yeah, definately gonna need them pics, but Merry Cristmas and congrats!!!

·
Premium Member
3,907 Posts
Congrats on your TRS, I love mine. Hope you feel better man. I got my TRS around the same time you did and can't stop shooting/carrying it. 2009 rds and counting...I also have a custom Monolith and will tell you the TRS isn't as silly tight as the former and is just as accurate.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am healing up nicely. Thanks. If the drains come out tomorrow, I plan another range trip for this Friday. I have already ordered a pair of VZ Gator Grips in Green Canvas Micarta. The originals look great and I want to preserve them. Plus they are a little bit too small for my hands. As for the finish, I have always liked the patina of a well used and maintained and well built pistol in blue finish. My TRS feels different in my hands than my other 1911. It has a warm, solid comfortable feel and also gives a feeling of trust that it will work when needed. But I sure hope that I never have to put that part to a real life test.
I believe it is too late for me now. I definitely have LB fever and am planning on buying another. Not sure which, or when, but I really like the look of a 6" version with an LB scope mount and mag well.
I will post more later after my next range trip.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Congrats on your TRS, I love mine. Hope you feel better man. I got my TRS around the same time you did and can't stop shooting/carrying it. 2009 rds and counting...I also have a custom Monolith and will tell you the TRS isn't as silly tight as the former and is just as accurate.
You've gotta post more pics too, to show us how she's holding up! :rock:

·
Premium Member
13,220 Posts
Grats on the new blaster.
The only real problem was 2 of the LB mags interfered with the slide lock after the last round.
Isn't this exactly what a magazine is supposed to do to the slide stop?:scratch:

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What I meant was that the slide did not lock back like it should after the last rounds were fired from those 2 mags. I also tried manually cycling the slide and had the same result. The other LB mag as well as the Wilson mags functioned flawlessly. I will continue to try the 2 bad mags until full break-in. At the worst, they will be relegated to range use only.

·
Registered
793 Posts
ph - first, I hope all the puss in your belly drains out and you heal up. Second, congrats on the TRS. It is my favorite set up from LB and has pretty much been my daily carry for years. Lastly - those two mags that are giving you some grief, pull the base plates and manually stretch the springs a bit.

Good luck

·
Registered
626 Posts
Congratulations

Hey Phan,

Merry Christmas, enjoy your new blaster. Awesome weapon. Jeff

·
Registered
90 Posts
Congrats on the TRS!! I love mine and am going through LB withdrawal since mine is away from home have an ambi safety put on it. Good shooting!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts