1911Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well im new here and also a new TRS owner. Im just looking for some insight on the best way to break in my new TRS. Also what kind of lubrication is everyone using on their Baers? any input would be great. thanks

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
Congrats on your fine pistol. I broke in my PII 1½" this way: After cleaning the packing oil out of the bore I wiped down the gun and shot 200 rounds of jacketed ammo. Next I took the slide off and cleaned off the slide and wiped out the barrel. I then shot 300 rounds of my reloads (lead 200g SWC). After that I completely detail stripped the gun (don't tell Les!). I cleaned every part, making sure it was perfect. I put some of Wilson's UltiLube oil where needed, but the important part was putting some McCormick Trigger Slick on the hammer hook/sear surfaces. That brought the trigger pull down by 10oz, and reduced the roughness, which is completely gone now, after 2000+ rounds. Oh, by the way, I use Wilson mags instead of the Baer mag. So, get a bunch of ammo and go shoot the gun, clean it, and shoot it some more. Good luck with your TRS.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
This is a pretty frequent topic & can lead to lots of different (not necessarily bad) suggestions. I just followed Baer's recommendations (leap of faith that he'd know best for his pistol) when I got my TRS: wipe it down, run a patch through the bore, shoot 500 rounds, then field strip for a good cleaning/lube. My pistol now has over 7000 rounds through it w/o any problems, it's very accurate, depend on it daily.

As far as lubes, I've been using Break Free on various types of firearms for over 20 years & have been very happy with it. There seems to be more good products out there than bad. ymmv, good luck & enjoy that great pistol.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.