1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm leaning towards the TRS, but also like the SRP. Is the SRP worth the difference? Is BEAR COAT worth the extra? If so I'd love to get a TRS with BEAR COAT.

Any opinions one way or the other?

Steve

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Either way you go you will end up with a magnificent pistol. I can personally attest to quality, durability, and shootability of the TR Special but I have had no experience with the SRP. I hear good things about BEAR COAT but I think hard chrome would be a better way to go if you don’t mind the color. I'm sure Les Baer will coat either pistol with any of the finishes they offer.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, A.J.

The appearance of the finish isn't as important to me as is the performance. I like the looks of hard chrome, but wouldn't want the reflection.

The plain blue of the TRS is fine by me. I was wondering if the Bear Coat performs/protects better during hard use.

Mil-spec parkerizing would be fine too. I'd prefer an ugly gun that performs beautifully, to a beautiful gun that doesn't perform.

------------------
Steve

·
Registered
4 Posts
Can't go wrong with a TRS. I have two and they are great....however skip the bearcoat.
I have one with it and it looks like a heavy coat of cheap spray paint. I will never have another gun with it. Go with hardchrome or
Birdsong's Black T.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I have a TRS that's about a year old and a SRP that was built in late '97 or early '98.
Both are great guns. I think the TRS is the most gun for the money. Definitely the better buy if money is an issue. The Baercoat finnish on the SRP held up great. It is the most durable coating type finnish I have had on a gun. My only complaint on it is the fact that it is fairly slick. If your hands get wet or sweatty, It can get slick. Also, the coating fills up the 30 LPI checkering alot and makes it ineffective and has a slightly shiney look to it. 20 LPI checkering with the coating would be great. The SRP is a sweet gun. I'm just not sure it is worth another(almost) $1,000 though. If money is not a concern, then you won't regret getting an SRP. If money is an issue, I would consider getting the TRS and upgrading or customizing it to your specs like ordering the bearcoat on the TRS or maybe getting the basic TRS and having it caoted with Birdsong Black T.

[This message has been edited by Robe (edited 11-12-2001).]

·
Registered
17 Posts
Greetings,
One thing that sold me on the SRP I purchased in the late 1990's was that all of the gun's parts were magnafluxed. If this is still true, it speaks volumes as to the integrity/longevity of the gun...

Gonzo

1 - 7 of 7 Posts