1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Truly hideous FTE in springfield

I was trying out several kinds of ammo in my Springfield Mil-Spec. The last round in the
magazine was Cor bon 230 +p. It fed and fired, but I noticed the slide wasn't fully
locked back and I couldn't drop the magazine. The back of the case was still under the
lips of the magazine and the front was partly into the chamber. The front of the case
was a little jagged. It took forever to clear. I wish I'd taken a picture.

My first thought was that the case had somehow gotten wedged under the lips when
the ejector tried to remove it, but then I realized that was extremely unlikely. I guess
the cartridge fired out of battery and I was lucky it went right straight up the barrel.

Any ideas, either on what happened or how to prevent it in the future? It has not
recurred, but then I haven't fired the Cor bon anymore either.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Sounds like a case separation. You say it was a +P load.

Did it sound any different when you fired the round?

Have you noticed any other damage?

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Those are extremely warm and the last round failure is a common one. I have no idea from your description what happened exactly, but it's unlikely that the round was fired from inside the magazine...That's the impression you sound like you're trying to give and I'm not sure if that's what you are really trying to say.

...in other words...I'm not sure if what I heard is exactly what you said!?

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

!!!Molon Labe'!!!

·
Registered
166 Posts
I had a similar experience during the initial break-in of my SA Loaded model. The last spent casing occasionally fails to eject on the exact same position that you have described. I called SA regarding this & they suggested I try different mags. I told them I was using three different brands. Their verdict: Extractor needs to be tuned and they offered to do it under warranty. I did try to tune it myself but I am yet to test the pistol if I was able to do the right thing.

------------------
Protect LIFE...you only have ONE.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I don't know what happened and I don't know much about the technical side. I guess it is more likely that the case got pushed back under the lips of the magazine. I didn't notice anything unusual until the slide didn't lock back. It was a factory Springfield mag.

I had three different kinds of .45 ACP ammo in the mag, Federal EFMJ, Winchester Ranger, and the Corbon +p. It had some kick to it, but not anything that really called attention to it. (The Federal had some kick, too. It's also listed on the box as +p.) I had no trouble with any of the other ammo, either the other two carry rounds listed above or various practice and target loads. I guess every gun is different, and maybe this one just doesn't like the Cor Bon, which seems slightly longer than the Winchester and has a narrow hollow point.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I've used Corbon ammunition in the past and will no longer use it. I've found that quality control is very poor. I've had the bullets come apart in a PPK by chambering and un-chambering during hand cycling. It seems that the bullets are too long and the rifling in the barrel catches it and pulls it apart when the gun cycles. When I called Corbon, he blamed my gun for the problem saying that the rifling in the PPK was further back than a regular pistol. A couple weeks later, my friend had a problem of his rounds not even chambering in his Glock 26 because the rounds were too long. Glock are suppose to chamber almost anything. After this happend, we measured the OAL of the cases and the powerder charge weight. What we found was very inconsistent numbers. I've stuck to either Pro Loads or Federal ever since.

·
Registered
411 Posts
My new 2001 Loaded is doing the same thing with 230 Gr. ball ammo. I have had another problem with this pistol that Springfield has taken care of. It took two trips to the factory but my initial problem is now a thing of the past. I am currently on the waiting list at Evolution Gun Works for their reliability package. I am going to have them take care of the problem. Springfield does excellent work but I am going to try an independent source for this problem.

Shooter Ready?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts