1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I traded my SA Loaded for a 1991A1 (G01991Z) with a factory Vidiceki trigger this evening. SN is 2800XXX, does this have MIM parts? I've noticed there aren't many people complaining about their Colts so I'm pretty confident.

Although I'm happy I'd like to add a few parts. Anyone have experience with S & A's E-Z fit Grip Safety and Ambidextrous Magazine Release? I'm also thinking about adding new sights (Heine or Novak) and a combat hammer (Ed Brown of Wilson) but I'm not sure which one.

Any suggestions on what to do after I add the ambi mag release. I have little use of my right thumb so mag changes are a pain.

Thanks for any info. I hope I've finally settled on a handgun.

·
Registered
848 Posts
How bad a hit did you take on trade in value?

------------------
O.K., My Turn

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My dealer traded me even. The SA was a very frustrating venture (shoots low and failed to go fully into battery 1 or 2 times per mag).

I had one dealer tell me they would give me $400 for the SA. My favorite dealer said he would deal with the SA and put me into the Colt even up. I lost around $75 in the trade. It pays to have a good dealer/customer relationship.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Nice dealer, I wish I could find one in my area like that. I have already changed some things on my 1991a1 and am getting ready to do more. So far I have put in an 18.5lb recoil spring, 20lb mainspring and a Wolf sear spring. I tweaked around the sear spring and now have a wonderful 4lb trigger pull. There was a drastic difference in "bendability" between the factory and Wolf sear spring, I am very happy about this upgrade - the factory spring bent very easily. I am getting some fairly severe hammer bite and and just ordered a Wilson replacement beavertail, Nowlin 201pro hammer and an EGW match bushing - I can hardly wait.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I've not played with them myself, but AFAIK, the "easy fit" is not a drop in.
If you're looking for Drop in, use either the Wilson or the Kings. The Wilson would need a commander hammer though.

Never tried the ambi-mag release.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I shot this puppy toady. I'm not sure I'm going to make any changes for a while other than the ambi mag release. At 10 meters I was shooting the caps off of 20 ounce pop bottles. I didn't have any problem with the hammer biting me so... why change what ain't broke?

Lone Star Wholesale had one in a Commander at the 1500. I handled it for about long enough to see it. Think I'll order one from Brownell's on Monday. Let you know how it works out.

[This message has been edited by hoosierdaddy (edited 11-05-2001).]

·
Registered
183 Posts
Who do you deal with, Hoosierdaddy? I'm from lafayette, but I go to Indy for every 1500 show. Still haven't found a fair dealer at that show.

·
Registered
848 Posts
hoosierdaddy, Glad you got a fair deal. I went into a shop in Ft Lauderdale to make the same deal,(SA loaded) and they only wanted to give $300.00 for my mint SA.If I lived in Indy I would give your guy my money!!

------------------
O.K., My Turn

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bob at Plainfield Shooting Supplies is about the fairest (not the mirror mirror type) dealer around. Of course I've bought nearly 50 guns from him in the past 10 or so years. Albro Guns is also another good dealer. I just can't always trade as well with them.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
EZ fit is not a drop in part. Would suggest trying a Wilson drop in if you do not want to cut the frame. I live in southern IN and have dealt with Plainfield Shooters Supply a couple of times. You are correct, they are a class act.

·
Registered
20 Posts
ive got the blue matte finish 1991a1.first thing i did was change the trigger and mainspring housing to steel-colt.added wilson combat stainless hammer and stainless grip safty.had the sights drilled and colored"3 dot".is a very fun gun to shoot and accurate.has never jammed or malfunctioned(in ball ammo,hollowpoint ammo and the high power stuff from wolf.)thinking about adding an full length guide rod and a videki trigger.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts