1911Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had 2 1911's. My 1st had some custom work done to it but was never quite right & the other was a basic 1911 that I suffered some serious hammer bite with :hrm:
My thinking is this...I'd like to have a 1911 in my collection & I'd like one before the law requiring magazine disconnects on ALL pistols in CA but I'm not ready to buy a custom & I'm not prepared to buy another project gun that won't turn out right w/o serious TLC. I'm looking for some guidance here.
SHould I get a 1911 or just get something else?????
Oh, by the way, I'm looking at a couple Kimbers, the SW1911, STI & maybe another Colt.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I would buy a 1991 Colt and have the hammer bobbed (or do it yourself), or possibly install a beavertail on it. A Kimber or SW would be good to go out of the box if you don't mind the looks. If I had to chose 1, I'd get a Colt. I have 2 so I have a Colt and a Kimber :D

·
Registered
210 Posts
10-Ring said:
My thinking is this...I'd like to have a 1911 in my collection & I'd like one before the law requiring magazine disconnects on ALL pistols in CA but I'm not ready to buy a custom & I'm not prepared to buy another project gun that won't turn out right w/o serious TLC.
It was my understanding that the law you're referring to (SB489) only applies to new designs coming on the California market. All existing designs are grandfathered in, which includes current 1911 designs.

Anyone with more conclusive knowledge than this can chime in here, because if this is not so, then I have to go on a 1911 buying spree next year. And that's great for the psyche :) but hard on the wallet. :(

·
Registered
244 Posts
10-Ring said:
I've had 2 1911's. My 1st had some custom work done to it but was never quite right & the other was a basic 1911 that I suffered some serious hammer bite with :hrm:
My thinking is this...I'd like to have a 1911 in my collection & I'd like one before the law requiring magazine disconnects on ALL pistols in CA but I'm not ready to buy a custom & I'm not prepared to buy another project gun that won't turn out right w/o serious TLC. I'm looking for some guidance here.
SHould I get a 1911 or just get something else?????
Oh, by the way, I'm looking at a couple Kimbers, the SW1911, STI & maybe another Colt.
The solution is simple. Buy a stock baseline model and simply add the wide grip safety. If you feel less than adept at switching the part get a skilled smith to do it. If your smith can't make the switch and come out with a suitably useful pistol, then your main problem is clearly defined. Find a decent smith.

I did my own. Works well. I am satisfied.

Jerry

·
Registered
682 Posts
Being the Colt crazy fan I am I would normally second that vote for the Colt............but the issue here seems to be the biting from the grip safety.

You also mention the "never quite right" custom work on one of Your first 1911's. You don't mention what they were? or what work you had done?

I would suggest You get something with a factory installed Beavertail grip safety. If You have the means "Wilson Combat" is worth looking at. Good Guns at Good Prices. If pricing is a concern Springfield produces 1911's with a beavertail also. Good bang for Your buck out of the Box!
:)

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When I was done w/ my Colt, the nagging problem was lock up was still a tad loose :( and I was already $1200 into a '91a1 :( Thankfully I sold it for what I paid for it to a guy at the range that really liked it after I let him shoot a mags worth from it.
I just don't want to have to go through that again. I want a gun that's just right straight from the box.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts