1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched the web with any possible combination and no luck, so I'm hoping some one here can point me in the right direction. OK, Here goes.

I was given a (I Think) Winchester????? Model 30 Ranger Pump 12 gauge. It also has the engraving "Browning Design". I would like to find out any history on this model. Do I need to get it restored or just put it in a gun sock and let it set in the corner?

Thanks
Bobby

·
Registered
129 Posts

Bobby, what you actually have is a Stevens Model 520A, introduced in 1904. It is among the first hammerless designs, but not first one: ROPER & SPENCER pump-action shotgun was already hammerless. R & S gun's U.S. Patent was issued in April 21st 1885. Production of Savage (until 1920 actually STEVENS) Model 520 hunting guns was discontinued in 1930, but many Model 520 riot (fighting or police) guns were assembled from spare parts until 1932 and issued to troopers still in mid-1960s. Shortage of spare parts was, however, a scourge already during the Second World War.

Designer of Stevens Model 520 was JOHN MOSES BROWNING. U.S. Patent No. 781 765 was granted in February 7th 1905, but Browning was sold the manufacturing rights of this gun to J. Stevens Arms & Tool Co. already in the spring of 1903 and the production of it was started about a year later. Firm SAVAGE ARMS Co. acquired Stevens A & T Co. in 1920. Shotgun Model 520 is therefore known as Savage-Stevens. After some "cosmetic changes" the Model 520 became known as a Savage Model 620, but old Model 520 riot guns were issued to the U.S. and South-Vietnamese troopers still during early years of Viet-Nam conflict.

The Model 520 standard/field grade version would be considered a shooter not a collectable. In excellent condition it might be worth about $150-$200. If you need replacement parts you can visit Numrich Gun Parts Corp. or The Small Arms Shop. Hope this helps!

Steve Mace

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Steve that's what I wanted to Know. I wass told this gun was purchased from montgomery wards. Is that why it was given the Model 30?

·
Registered
129 Posts
The 'Ranger' name was created by Stevens for companies like Montgomery Wards to sell their firearms under a house brand name.

Steve Mace

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
The RANGER name was also used for the following weapons:

Ranger 101.2 made by Savage (Model 238)
Ranger 101.3 made by Fulton Arms (Special)
Ranger 101.8 made by Stevens (Model 83)
Ranger 104.7 made by H&R (Model 120)
Ranger 105.2 made by H&R (Model 120)
Ranger 120 made by Winchester (Model 1200)
Ranger 30 made by Stevens (Model 520A)
Ranger 34 made by Marlin (Model 65 or 65A)
Ranger 34A made by Marlin (Model 80, C, 780, 50, or 50E)
Ranger 35A made by Stevens (Model 66A)
Ranger 36 made by Marlin (Model 80 adj. trigger)
Ranger 400 made by Stevens (Model 311)

Sold by Montgomery Wards, house label. In my experience all are shooter's grade guns averaging in price from $50 - $300. :)

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
And a great gun they were. They have the occasional habit of breaking the tip off of the pump arm. Parts are a bit pricey, and the last time I priced one they were over $35.00. Very fast as pump guns go. I should have picked one up back when they were $150.00 used everywhere you turned around.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tanks for all the info. I guess I put it in a sock and stick it in a corner for now. As all i really hunt is waterfowl and am not sue how it would take steel shot.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts