1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay, I have a friend that, after trying several calibers, has decided on a .380(she didn't even care for a 9mm....she's set on .380). She has fallen in love with my Russian Makarov in .380, but all that we can find is a Mak in 9x18. The ammo is harder to find than .380, so we are also looking at a Bersa Thunder (more in her price range) or a Walther PPK/S (a little above her price range but not impossible). Is there anything else in the same proximity of weight/overall size/caliber/price that we should also be considering. Price is a factor, but not the only deciding factor....but no $1000.00 guns. I should also add that she did like the Makarov being a DA/SA weapon (probably a purse carry situation here). Also...no revolvers...just her preference.

·
Premium Member
20,401 Posts
With those models, stick with the tried and true Walther. Not only dependable, but will maintain their value. Did she try the Glock 19?

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
No she didn't try a Glock yet. She shot a couple 9mm autos and didn't care for them. Obviously could just be what she shot, but she liked the .380 and was pretty good with it for someone who grew up shooting only .22 autos and AKs.

The only catch with the Walther ($485) is that it is twice the price of a Bersa ($250ish). Can anyone help me convince her that it is worth the difference in price.

·
Registered
21,981 Posts
But also kind of expensive.

The Bersa has a good reputation in its class, not much else to choose from. Or you could make her a good deal on your Makarov. How good a friend IS she?

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
But also kind of expensive.

The Bersa has a good reputation in its class, not much else to choose from. Or you could make her a good deal on your Makarov. How good a friend IS she?
Not that good....I have a wife...it's actually HER Makarov....'nuff said??

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I found a sig 232 on Gun Broker for around $490 buy it now price. Assuming I found one locally, is this about what one would expect to pay? If so, it's not too far away from the Walther. Still stretches her budget a bit, but not unreasonably so assuming I can show her why she should pay $500 instead of $250 for a Thunder.

Other that holding value...what makes a Walther worth twice a Bersa? I understand a hi-point vs. a Kimber (you get what you pay for I mean), but it seems to be that the Bersa Thunder has a generally good reputation from what I hear (unlike the HI-Point). Am I wrong when it comes to the Bersa?

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
If she likes super heavy triggers then by all means, talk her into the Walther.

The SIG is better but sits super low in the hand. I've shot one on three occasions and got bit by the slide each time. The way I see it I don't have to adjust my grip on any other pistol so why should I do it with the SIG? Don't really like the heel mounted mag release either.

Get her the Bersa. It's a lot of gun for the money. MUCH better trigger and half the price.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
I found a sig 232 on Gun Broker for around $490 buy it now price. Assuming I found one locally, is this about what one would expect to pay? If so, it's not too far away from the Walther. Still stretches her budget a bit, but not unreasonably so assuming I can show her why she should pay $500 instead of $250 for a Thunder.

Other that holding value...what makes a Walther worth twice a Bersa? I understand a hi-point vs. a Kimber (you get what you pay for I mean), but it seems to be that the Bersa Thunder has a generally good reputation from what I hear (unlike the HI-Point). Am I wrong when it comes to the Bersa?
Read this: http://www.gunblast.com/Bersa_Thunder380-2.htm

And this: http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/BestBuys.htm

And this: http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/MakarovBersa.htm

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Makarov ammo is pretty easy to find on the 'net at prices much cheaper than .380. Even Wal-Mart has domestic commercial Mak ammo. I would encourage her to go ahead and get the 9x18mm Makarov or one of the CZ82s coming into the country. The PA63 is still around, too, which is sorta like the Walther PP.

Regards,
Andy

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
With those models, stick with the tried and true Walther. Not only dependable, but will maintain their value. Did she try the Glock 19?
I agree, Walther is the way to go. Beretta also is a good choice.

Good luck with your friend.

Regards,
Joseph

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Talk her into a Sig, it will be worth it in the long run, but my favorite is the Colt Pony, but they can be hard to find..... and a touch pricey....

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
HiVelSword, thanks for the links...I'll show them to her

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Makarov ammo is pretty easy to find on the 'net at prices much cheaper than .380. Even Wal-Mart has domestic commercial Mak ammo. Regards,
Andy
Wal-Mart sells 9-18 Makarov? I wasn't aware of that. If that's true she'll probably want the Makarov. She likes mine (err... my wifes) and it is the least expensive of the bunch.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Just a thought...

They have the 9mm makarov copy at CDNN for $100 (dealer price). All good reports to this point. The local gun shop I use has sold 20 or so of them. No one has a bad word to say about the guns.

I have only shot 3 mags through one, but no malfunctions and shot very well.

But by all means go with a walther.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Bersa Thunder or CZ 83. I have sold more of these to women shooters than any other. We have one of each on our rental range. They sell themselves.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
I'm willing to bet that all of the folks saying "SIG" or Walther" are too upper crust to even dirty their hands with a Bersa.

I've shot all three and the performance of the Bersa puts the others to shame especially considering the price.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I'm willing to bet that all of the folks saying "SIG" or Walther" are too upper crust to even dirty their hands with a Bersa.

I've shot all three and the performance of the Bersa puts the others to shame especially considering the price.
You would be correct my friend.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Bersa Thunder or CZ 83. I have sold more of these to women shooters than any other. We have one of each on our rental range. They sell themselves.
Ahhh, the CZ 83. Another awesome pistol. A bit thicker and heavier but a FINE choice nonetheless.

The Bersa and the CZ are my two favorite .380's currently manufactured. If Colt ever decides to reintroduce the .380 Govt and Mustang series then I will add that to my list.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
You can buy a case of 1000 rds. Wolf FMJ from ammoman for about $189 delivered. OTOH, Dan's and CDNN have LNIB Walther P6s (SIG P225s) in 9x19mm for around $350, while SOG has them in VG condition (carried a lot but not evidently shot) for $295. She should look at those.

Regards,
Andy

1 - 20 of 26 Posts