1911Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at a 1911 Colt s/n 495530. It has all the same details of the 1918 Colt pictured on another part of this sight. The pistol looks to be in about the same condition as the one John Holbrook posted on 11/11/03. The owner wants to sell it but does not know what it is worth. What would be a fair price for me to offer him?
I have noticed several comments on a "Black Army". The finish on this gun looks more black than blue. How do you tell the differance?
Thanks for any help or comments.
Chuck

Just found this site this mourning, Very nice!!

·
Administrator
73,396 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Chuck. The term "Black Army" is usually used by collectors to describe the guns Colt made after roughly #350,000. It was at that time that the finishing process was cheapened to speed up time in building the pistols. The metal finishing ended at the rough-polish stage, instead of the fine brush-blue of the pre- and post-WW1 guns. As a result the finish sort of lay on the surface, looked black rather than blue, and typically began flaking off after awhile. My 1918 Colt is nearly perfect mechanically, but the finish has flaked off to where the thing looks like it has a bad case of the mange.

Value depends on condition of finish and originality of parts. Top end would be about $1800, but few examples are still in such primo shape given the flaking issues. My 50% example is valued at about $1000 tops.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No flaking on this gun.

There is no flaking on this pistol. It has wear on the sharp edges, with most of the wear at the front and back of the pistol grip and trigger guard. I spent the mourning comparing the pistol to the information given on this web sight. The only thing that I do not think is original are the grips. The checkering has 13 spaces between the diamonds. Colts should have 15, correct?
I have to give this some thought, if I want to pay $1000 to $1800 for this pistol. I usally spend my money on Krag Carbines, and 1903 Remington Modifieds. But what the heck,what's one more addiction!!!!
Thanks for the information.
Chuck

1 - 3 of 3 Posts