1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not easily impressed and was greatly done so already this month when I received my CBOB . But lightning has struck twice when I opened up the box and saw the Tucker Gunleather " Silent Thunder " IWB holster that I had ordered as the mate for my CBOB . This is by far the best concealed carry holster that I have seen . It is a black molded Kydex shell that has a slight leather grain and the inside is lined with thin natural leather . The belt clip is adjustible for cant and there are two tension adjustment screws that you can set to your taste . This holster has a very nice quality that sets it in a class of it's own . It is very light and will hold it's shape and the shell won't stink up or stain from sweat . Trust me on this , you need to check it out . Rob Longnecker got me mine in about 2.5 weeks . You won't be dissapointed !

·
Registered
597 Posts
Does it have

Spikeman, That OWB looks pretty nice on their web site. Does it have what is commonly refered to as a sweat shield on the back? You know, the tab between the grip safety area and you? I think I can see one in the photo, but it isn't obvious.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just checked out the holster online. It looks really sweet. And yes... it does have a body/sweat shield. Here is a review with pictures.

http://www.m1911.org/ezine/tucker2.htm

I may have to put this holster on my wish list, and try it out myself.
Thanks for the backup info on the Silent Thunder . I had seen that review but dropped the ball as far as bringing it to the forum . I wore mine this evening and it felt great . I played with the cant and decided on full forward for most comfortable . I even drove around a while and it's like it wasn't there . I had a Tucker Answer IWB for my Kimber Ultra , which was an excellent holster , but not nearly as convenient . This one hit paydirt !

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh , I forgot . They also have an OWB holster that 's a twin to my Silent Thunder but it can be ordered with a paddle , which would be very convenient . I might just go ahead and order one for winter wear .

·
Vendor
1,642 Posts
Sweatshield/Body Shield info

Spikeman, That OWB looks pretty nice on their web site. Does it have what is commonly refered to as a sweat shield on the back? You know, the tab between the grip safety area and you? I think I can see one in the photo, but it isn't obvious.
The body shield covers the back of the slide and the thumb safety. It does not cover the beaver tail or cocked hammer. Nothing interferes with a full firing grip.
The shield is a no-cost option on all the Silent Thunders, IWB or OWB.

·
Registered
460 Posts
When ordering the Silent Thunder on the Tucker Gun Leather website, they ask if your "pistol has sharp forward cocking serrations." My full size Kimber has front cocking serrations. Is the leather lining inside the holster treated differently for guns with FCS?

·
Vendor
1,642 Posts
Sharp Front Cocking Serrations

When ordering the Silent Thunder on the Tucker Gun Leather website, they ask if your "pistol has sharp forward cocking serrations." My full size Kimber has front cocking serrations. Is the leather lining inside the holster treated differently for guns with FCS?
We had ONE customer with a Les Baer 1911, (L.B. has very sharp front cocking serrations) who ran the front of his slide against the very upper outer edge of the holster like a cheese grater. It happened during repeated draw and re-holstering and without a good aim for the center of the holster.

ONE CUSTOMER out of hundreds.

The serrations do not damage the inside of the holster, just the edge if you're careless.

Unless you have a Les Baer and drag the sharp serrations against the top edge of the holster repeatedly, you'll have no problem.

We replaced the customer's holster at no charge and pointed out the problem. He still has the same pistol but no further problems.

We put a note on the website which states:

"SHARP FORWARD COCKING SERRATIONS: IF you have a pistol with sharp forward cocking serrations, you could tear up the leather at the mouth of the holster, if you don't re-holster carefully. We are NOT liable for damage from front cocking serrations or careless re-holstering of any kind. The Silent Thunder has proven to be very durable with a minimum of care."

No one else has reported a problem, but we're trying to prevent problems in the future.

Does that answer your question?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Tucker Silent Thunder

I am not easily impressed and was greatly done so already this month when I received my CBOB . But lightning has struck twice when I opened up the box and saw the Tucker Gunleather " Silent Thunder " IWB holster that I had ordered as the mate for my CBOB . This is by far the best concealed carry holster that I have seen . It is a black molded Kydex shell that has a slight leather grain and the inside is lined with thin natural leather . The belt clip is adjustible for cant and there are two tension adjustment screws that you can set to your taste . This holster has a very nice quality that sets it in a class of it's own . It is very light and will hold it's shape and the shell won't stink up or stain from sweat . Trust me on this , you need to check it out . Rob Longnecker got me mine in about 2.5 weeks . You won't be dissapointed !
I received mine in two weeks also,it is the best IWB holster I've ever put inside my pants.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Actual photoz of my Silent Thunder

OK , here are photoz of my Silent Thunder holster . They're not as good as the ones from the Tucker website but I like them because " it has my CBOB in it " ! Damn , dont you just love it when Christmas comes early !

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,055 Posts
I would also say that there Texas Heritage is one fine holster. Just sayin. :rock:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I would also say that there Texas Heritage is one fine holster. Just sayin. :rock:
I agree . It is very simular to the " Answer " holster that I had for my Kimber Ultra except the holster part is all leather . What I didn't like , was it is too difficult to put on and take off every time , as I don't carry all day . For someone who does , it is an excellent choice .

·
Registered
438 Posts
I am a big fan - without a doubt the best IWB I have experienced. I have Silent Thunder holsters for all of my carry guns and have taken to giving them as gifts.

I only have two minor caveats about it: order spare belt clips as that is the weak link and will wear out if over flexed, and be sure and check the gun list to determine if it is available for your gun.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am a big fan - without a doubt the best IWB I have experienced. I have Silent Thunder holsters for all of my carry guns and have taken to giving them as gifts.

I only have two minor caveats about it: order spare belt clips as that is the weak link and will wear out if over flexed, and be sure and check the gun list to determine if it is available for your gun.
I wish that I had known you as a friend before I bought mine !

·
Registered
10 Posts
big Fan

I have an IWB Silent Thunder holster for my "Rock 1911ms". The weather is cooling some now, so I ordered an OWB Silent Thunder holster today, with the Stabilizer Quick Mount. I'm a happy customer, what else can I say?

·
Registered
551 Posts
I have one of their OWB holsters on order right now for my XD-M 40. If I really like it, I'll be ordering one for my 1911 Trophy Match also.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Spikeman,

Are those VZ Grips on your CBOB? Thinking of getting them for mine.

Thanks
No , they are Larry Davidson Horned Lizard grips , and they are a very nice addition to my CBOB . I'd seen them before and knew that was what I had to have . It's a very agressive grip . I got mine in about a week . Highly recommended !

1 - 20 of 34 Posts