1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Tungsten guide rod is a full length guide rod made of Tungsten which is heavier than steel. Extended dust cover means the portion of the frame extending in front of the trigger guard is lengthened out to be flush with the end of the slide (Les Baer Monolith has and extended dust cover). Both of these items are used to add weight to the muzzle end of the pistol to reduce muzzle flip and felt recoil.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Just picked up an extended dust cover in the form of the SA TRP Operator. The bull barrel and the extra weight of the dust cover make this a very pleasant gun to shoot. Extra weight also makes it somewhat heavier to carry, and quality holsters are difficult to find at this time.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi,

I guess my priority here is faster doubletaps. Since my living situation will prevent me from handloading for at least another 9 months, I want to have one that shoots heavy stuff faster. I don't want an open IPSC gun (too corny for my personal tastes) but a nice practical combat gun to shoot IPSC-style matches with. IDPA is OK to me. I rather have more trigger time, I find the courses too short. If I can't use it in IDPA that's fine, but if I can, all the better. I dont' plan on carrying a 1911 for CCW (I live in CA and the 1911 hasn't proven itself to me, personally), so I don't mind it being an anvil.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Jeff,

Your odds of finding an extended dust cover frame in Kalifornia is pretty limited. So far none has been approved.

Extended dust covers, tungsten guide rods, and bull barrels cannot be used in IDPA.

BTW, did you ever get that extractor replaced?

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by Scooter:
Jeff,
Extended dust covers, tungsten guide rods, and bull barrels cannot be used in IDPA.

BTW, did you ever get that extractor replaced?
Thanks for the info, I didn't know the tungsten guide rods weren't allowed in IDPA. I wonder why, other than an attempts to stop gamey guns, I can see perfectly legit reasons to have a tungsten guide rod and bull barrels. Maybe not as a CCW piece, but I don't mind having a 3 pound house gun.

I replaced the extractor with a Beretta 92G. Shoots like a dream!

·
Registered
412 Posts
This is straight from IDPA rule book for (CDP category).

NON-INCLUSIVE list of EXCLUDED modifications:

·Heavy barrels, cone barrels (over 4.2”) and/or barrel sleeves (factory or aftermarket)
·Porting of barrels
·Compensators
·Add-on weights, weighted magazines, tungsten guide rods, extended dust covers
·Sights of non-standard notch and post configuration
·Extended oversize magazine release buttons
·Trigger shoes

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Awww

Thanks for the info scooter. I read the IDPA rules a few weeks ago but never really looked into 1911 parts so I really didn't know what they were talking about.

If I put a tung guiderod, a bullbarrel and oversized mag release (from Wilson Combat, I'm not sure how big 'oversized' is), do you know if I can still shoot Limited 10 in IPSC? You seem to be pretty well versed in the rulebook.

Where you been, Scooter? Haven't seen you online forever.

·
Registered
697 Posts
You can shoot any gun you use for limited in limited 10, just with only 10 rds in the mag
. I just went to an STI .40 for limited. I had been using a Kimber polymer before that. The STI has the extended dustcover shown in the pics:

I am able to shoot much quicker double taps with the STI. This is partly due to the caliber itself (STI is .40 while the Kimber is a .45), but the extra weight of the bull barrel helps a lot. This gun is HEAVY and to me a heavy tungsten guide rod would be overkill, but there are many who like them. To me the heavy barrel and extra weight of the longer dustcover seem to do the trick in making the gun very quick and manageable.

[This message has been edited by hhsmiley (edited 11-04-2001).]

·
Registered
412 Posts
Been lurking on other forums lately since HKPRO is down.

As far as Limited/L10, anything goes as long as it doesn't have a comp or red-dot.

Limcat does make a tungsten sleeved bull barrel to add more weight. If you want a heavy gun, Limcat's are pretty heavy. Too bad you can't buy one in Kalifornia.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by Scooter:
Been lurking on other forums lately since HKPRO is down.

As far as Limited/L10, anything goes as long as it doesn't have a comp or red-dot.

Limcat does make a tungsten sleeved bull barrel to add more weight. If you want a heavy gun, Limcat's are pretty heavy. Too bad you can't buy one in Kalifornia.
Re: HKPRO, yes I feel like a displaced urchin! This HK-Whore loves the 1911 forum, but I need my HK fix!

So you're sure anything goes so long as no scope and comp huh? It seems IPSC is a lot more liberal and chill about the equipment. I like the 10-round limit though (cuz I like shooting single-stack 1911 and other obvious legal reasons) it works for me. I think for my dust cover I'll just get a Springfield Mil-Spec Operator. I wonder how many holsters fit this thing.

·
Registered
412 Posts
If you want the ultimate Kalifornia legal Limited 10 gun:

Para-Ordnance P16-40 Limited (40 oz)- have a gunsmith do a trigger job which might included replacing trigger parts

Add Dawson Precisions brass magwell (4.2 oz)

Dawson's Limited-10 extended baseplate (3 oz)

That gives you an empty weight around 47 oz. Add a tungsten guide rod and a steel mainspring housing that'll bump the weight up to 50 oz. With a 170pf load and a light spring, that thing is not going to move.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts