1911Forum banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Gridlock is one of the reasons why I often take back roads, or alternate routes to see what I may have to deal with, or how to get around main traffic areas.

·
Banned
11,450 Posts
> gridlock
Good point... which is why I have 4 different routes to and from work, through 4 different gates to Bragg- and various premutations of each. An intimate knowledge of primarys, arterials, secondaries, back and side roads is invaluable...

When Matthew turned I95 into a parking lot, and created flooding and washouts throught tbe region, being able to find workarounds (and a capable vehicle) were essential to movement. No truck in the world will traverse a 6 foot wide, 4 foot deep cut in the road...

·
Premium Member
14,686 Posts
and the modern-day serpentine belt isn't a user freindly roadside fix....
I agree they're very durable..and I personally wouldn't bother to carry one
(in millions of miles, I've never broke or threw one that wasn't caused by failed pulley)

but the ones I've changed didn't get much easier.
(certainly compared to loosening bolts and sliding things)

a 3/8 ratchet and short extension into the spot provided on the tensioner pulley bracket is all it takes.(on the few I've changed anyway)

and the belt routing diagram is under the hood too

easier and faster than changing a tire

to the subject....

what to carry...

water, tools and toilet paper

..L.T.A.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Basically then, keep your vehicle serviced and fueled up with all the rubber (hoses, belts and tires) in excellent shape plus a spare, jack and lug wrench, flashlight, block, something to cut seatbelts/break out a window, tow chain, quart of motor oil, roll of bailing wire, duct tape, pliers, screw drivers and highway flares. Blankets, shovel and traction chains/cables in the winter, extra water and coolant in the summer.

No different than what any prudent motorist would consider necessary for the road.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have some good info on essential gear you need to keep on you in your Bug Out Vehicle. Check out my video and let me know what y’all think, or if I need to add anything or take anything out. https://youtu.be/dbiDy91nO1k

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I have some good info on essential gear you need to keep on you in your Bug Out Vehicle. Check out my video and let me know what y’all think, or if I need to add anything or take anything out. deleted

due to YouTube's anti gun push, unfortunately I am unwilling to support them or click on your link. I"m happy to hear your thoughts here or if you publish them literally anywhere else.

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
I agree they're very durable..and I personally wouldn't bother to carry one
(in millions of miles, I've never broke or threw one that wasn't caused by failed pulley)

but the ones I've changed didn't get much easier.
(certainly compared to loosening bolts and sliding things)

a 3/8 ratchet and short extension into the spot provided on the tensioner pulley bracket is all it takes.(on the few I've changed anyway)

and the belt routing diagram is under the hood too

easier and faster than changing a tire

to the subject....

what to carry...

water, tools and toilet paper

..L.T.A.
Toilet paper is one of the most important things.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
I'll offer this---what is important that hasn't been discussed is knowing where you're going to take refuge and a plan "B"---cross town or cross the time zone? Will it be on surface streets or fire break roads? That should inform your choice of assets.

Driving a deuce and a half will permit you to take along a traveling machine shop, but what really is practical for your purpose?

·
Registered
162 Posts
I saw all this stuff about buggin’ out all the time. My question is buggin’ out from what? It is not a sarcastic question.

Where I live, insurrection, zombie attacks 🧟*♂ 🧟*♀, wild fires, and earthquakes are rare. Although I do see an occasional wild pig , alligator, or snake , all of them are easily handled with my shotgun or 300BLK AR. Never had so many I had to BO. After watching dinosaurs 🦕 resurgence in Jurassic Park, I am slightly concerned about not owning a .50 BMG, but will wait until at least one Tyrannosaurus rex🦖, is spotted before selling my wife’s car so I can afford the ammo.

ON March 20, 1986, I did get caught in a tornado that tore apart the roof of a building I was in. Didn’t bug out from that either. The NWS was kind enough to sound a warning siren about two minutes after the roof and front glass of my building was torn off, and the streets around me were filled with downed poles, sparking wires, crashed cars, bricks and roofs from buildings. So, I really don’t think it is likely anybody can BO a tornado. The streets won’t be drivable even if you can find them in the mess after to event.

Same thing for earthquakes. If you have an earthquake and it’s bad enough to bug out, you aren’t driving anywhere. And if you decide to walk out with a back pack, where you going to walk to? You probably have to cross bridges to get anywhere and they might not be standing, and having seen the aftermath of an earthquake in New Zealand, the roads are not going to be drivable, maybe not even walkable.

So, if I had to bug out, about the only realistic threat would be posed by a hurricane. Having seen Matthew ride up the East coast from Florida, driving out can be more dangerous than staying and hunkering down. I was foolish enough to evacuate and saw a constant stream of vehicular carnage all the way to Tennessee, then returning was just as dangerous.

That leaves only nuclear war on my list. Where you going to get to in 19 minutes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
In Syria alone, over five million displaced from their homes and country in 2016. Look at the numbers for displaced persons worldwide. Look at the contents on our planet immune from displacement. Americans are a very lucky breed.
Yes we are!

Displaced people had nowhere to go and if fortunate spent their energy bugging out to a DP camp. In the US I'd hope we give thought to where we'd seek shelter and let that inform the how to get there, 'cause we be prepared, right?.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
my real though it to bug out from work to my house. i live in a hot and crowded metroplex and the people are $&*tty drivers on the best day, let alone an emergency. My wife works from home 95% of the time and our day care is less than a mile from the house, so my big goal is get back to there. I really don't want to do a 12 mile walk in this heat, so I'm working on what I can do to make my SUV a bit harder/more capable for jumping curbs, cutting through random little fields, and not being laid up at the first accident I come to.

oh that reminds me, we had a bad traffic accident that left people stuck on the road for almost 3 hours. I always check GPS before going anywhere, but it could still happen right in front of you. I had a bottle of gatorade, water, and enough gas to sit there with the AC running the whole time, but I"ll be adding a few diapers/wipes/snacks in case something like that happens with the kid in the car.

I plan to build my rear shelf thingy over the next 2 weeks. I have the framework but this will give me a 6" high, 3'x2' storage area that I can dedicate to this project. I figure a spare pair of hiking boots and at least a case of water will help.

·
Premium Member
14,686 Posts
my real though it to bug out from work to my house. i live in a hot and crowded metroplex and the people are $&*tty drivers on the best day, let alone an emergency. My wife works from home 95% of the time and our day care is less than a mile from the house,

so my big goal is get back to there.

that makes sense to me now

with the ground clearance most vehicles and pret'near every 4x4 SUV or truck, there's not much in an urban environment (curbs) that would stop one.
and anything that would, like fences or drainage ditches/creeks and such, you'd need more than a "gray man" ride

Do you, or have you done any off road trail, sand, snow and mud 4x4'ing Steve?
If not, go get that ride dirty in a few different environments and get a feel for where it can and can't go with you at the wheel

imHo, you'll get more "practical" value from that, than all the paracord, guns, ammo and water purification systems stacked in the back

..L.T.A.

·
Banned
13,565 Posts
I saw all this stuff about buggin’ out all the time. My question is buggin’ out from what? It is not a sarcastic question.

Where I live, insurrection, zombie attacks 🧟*♂ 🧟*♀, wild fires, and earthquakes are rare. Although I do see an occasional wild pig , alligator, or snake , all of them are easily handled with my shotgun or 300BLK AR. Never had so many I had to BO. After watching dinosaurs 🦕 resurgence in Jurassic Park, I am slightly concerned about not owning a .50 BMG, but will wait until at least one Tyrannosaurus rex🦖, is spotted before selling my wife’s car so I can afford the ammo.

ON March 20, 1986, I did get caught in a tornado that tore apart the roof of a building I was in. Didn’t bug out from that either. The NWS was kind enough to sound a warning siren about two minutes after the roof and front glass of my building was torn off, and the streets around me were filled with downed poles, sparking wires, crashed cars, bricks and roofs from buildings. So, I really don’t think it is likely anybody can BO a tornado. The streets won’t be drivable even if you can find them in the mess after to event.

Same thing for earthquakes. If you have an earthquake and it’s bad enough to bug out, you aren’t driving anywhere. And if you decide to walk out with a back pack, where you going to walk to? You probably have to cross bridges to get anywhere and they might not be standing, and having seen the aftermath of an earthquake in New Zealand, the roads are not going to be drivable, maybe not even walkable.

So, if I had to bug out, about the only realistic threat would be posed by a hurricane. Having seen Matthew ride up the East coast from Florida, driving out can be more dangerous than staying and hunkering down. I was foolish enough to evacuate and saw a constant stream of vehicular carnage all the way to Tennessee, then returning was just as dangerous.

That leaves only nuclear war on my list. Where you going to get to in 19 minutes?
This.

The whole BOV and BO as a concept make zero sense to me. There is no scenario where I would voluntarily leave my home.
I have water. A Back up generator that will run my entire house. Plenty of gas to run it.
Plenty of food. There's no reason for me to leave. None.

OTOH....I live in Valhalla. My thoughts might be otherwise if I lived in the city or the burbs. In fact.....if you live in one of those places where you would need or want to BO......What the hell are you waiting for??? Move and get out now.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have a golf Kart that I am mounting twin paint ball guns on.

Good. I will just follow the trail you blaze on your way out of town. Just remember, if it’s zombies you are running from, you are probably going to need to splat them in the head.

Also, if you are like so of the bug outer advocates who I have seen posting, your are going to need to cover your head, and probably most of your body with tin foil.

In my earlier post, I didn’t mention the threat posed by vampires. 🧛*♂ Be sure to take plenty of fresh garlic with you to tie around your neck. It has to be FRESH garlic. Garlic salt doesn’t work. I tried that the last time I bugged out, and got bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
123 Posts
This.

The whole BOV and BO as a concept make zero sense to me. There is no scenario where I would voluntarily leave my home.
I have water. A Back up generator that will run my entire house. Plenty of gas to run it.
Plenty of food. There's no reason for me to leave. None.

OTOH....I live in Valhalla. My thoughts might be otherwise if I lived in the city or the burbs. In fact.....if you live in one of those places where you would need or want to BO......What the hell are you waiting for??? Move and get out now.
No one voluntarily bugs out, you go because you have to. I’ve been told to leave my house twice in my life, once for fire and once for flood. In both cases I didn’t need to go far but staying put wasn’t an option. IMO bugging out isn’t the fantasy, think you’re always going to have a choice is.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts