1911Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently looked at Terry Tussey's website. Looks like he does nice simple 1911 built to function. Does anyone have any experience with him? I am looking for a smith to build me a CCO clone. (officer's frame, Commander Slide/Barrel0. Nothing fancy just stainless, non-speedbump grip safety, maybe ambidexterous and simple sights with front Gold Bead or Fiberoptic sight. Anyone else who could do a nice job?

PS. Does Caspian make the required Slide and frame? I've looked around the net and only Baer makes anything like the CCO and I don't like some of its features (speedbump, safety with REALLY wide shelf...)

·
Registered
203 Posts
Tussey does excellent work. He moved his shop from Southern California to Carson City, Nevada when I still lived there.

He attended a gun show at the Reno Hilton and had many of his custom pistols on display. He encouraged people to handle them and to try the trigger pull (superb). Fit and finish were what you'd expect of a custom 1911.

My only problem with Terry is he only opened his shop when he felt like so I never knew when to stop by to talk about a custom pistol for myself. That's not necessarily bad since he was trying to complete the pistols already on order instead of BS'ing with potential customers.

It may actually be easier to deal with him from a distance than being local.

I'm sure he can build anything you can afford as well as any other 1911 experienced gunsmith.

------------------
When the world is at peace, a gentleman keeps his sword at his side.

·
Registered
645 Posts
The answer to your question about Caspian is YES. They do make an Officer sized frame and a Commander length slide.

I built an Officers model using their slide and frame along with their own Grip Safety. The Caspian Grip Safety has an unusual triangular speed bump that is very subtle.

MadDog

·
Registered
986 Posts
What's the addr to Tussey's site? TIA

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think it is www.tusseycustom.com

I just looked at the guns he did for Seagal in a magazine and it has simple Millet sights, regular grip safety and regular safety lever (I have no problem even with the half-shelf on the original 1911)

·
Administrator
10,946 Posts
I am looking for a smith to build me a CCO clone. (officer's frame, Commander Slide/Barrel0. Nothing fancy just stainless, non-speedbump grip safety, maybe ambidexterous and simple sights with front Gold Bead or Fiberoptic sight. Anyone else who could do a nice job?
Sounds a lot like a Kimber Compact CDP. It has a subtle speed bump, and night sights. I don't know if that would be acceptable for you.

TB., NC

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
I met Terry Tussey at a gun show several years ago.I was much impressed by his work. He made a point to sy that when anyone called him he would personally return the call, although it might be a week or so. sometime later I wanted him to do a reliability job. I called him at least three times, left a message, but never got a reply. I concluded he was too busy with the stars to bother with someone like me and the small job I had. I also concluded I didn't have time to fool with him.
If he did your work, I am sure you would be pleased, but I don't have time to bother with anyone who does not return his calls.
Jerry

------------------
Ecclesiastes 12:13  ¶Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14  For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.

[This message has been edited by JerryM (edited 08-18-2001).]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would love a Kimber CDP. Unfortunately in Canada the Barrel has to be at least 4.1 inches to be a 'legal' weapon.

This is why I am disappointed that Colt discontinued the CCO. The Baer Stinger has some features I don't like and I know they aren't a full custom shop. Hence my searching for a good smith to cobble some Caspian parts together for me.

I wish the companies would use a 'Canada' barrel like Walther just did with the P99 making it legal for Canadian purchases.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I live in Reno and and met Terry Tussey recently at a gun show. I took up a good amount of his time asking questions. He was very accomodating and interesting to speak with.

Terry's shop is ouitside of Carson City and about a 40 minute drive. I had some problems with a Kimber I own so I called and made an appointment for three days later. His relability package took care of my problems and he did the work while I waited.

After he worked on my gun he showed me alot of the custom work he has done and some of the work he has in progress. He has made a thorough study of the 1911 and has done some innovative things with them. It became clear that Terry is more than gunsmith he is also a gifted machinist and inventor.

The reliability package that he did on my gun was only 99.00 but I was treated as a valued customer and was given all the time I wanted to look at this projects and ask questions.

I recommend him highly.

Dave

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Even though his shop was only a couple of hours up the road from mine, I never met Terry. But I have seen some of his work and, IMHO, it's as good as it gets!

Bob

·
Registered
342 Posts
Tussey NOT RECOMMENDED

When I got some work done from Tussey several years ago, his shop was still in California. The work was not all that great. installation of a Brown mag well was not done correctly - inside radius was not machined out deep enough. Checkering done on the frontstrap was sloppy - some of diamonds were mis-aligned, ended the checkering almost 1/2" from the bottom of the trigger guard. He admitts he does not do his own checkering and is showed! Who ever did my gun was sloppy and was not representative of the work he showed me. BTW, the trigger job was crappy too. Tried to go back to him ad asked for a re-do. But he said the work was done EXACTLY as I ordered it and nothing could be done. There may be a majority of people that have received great work from him but I felt like I was the "monday morning" job. Plenty of "competent" 'smiths out there other than Tussey.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts