Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

How weird is this with an otherwise impeccable brand! Both my new brand new 8 round Wilson mags have failed in short order.

First one had failure to feed #4 round on day 1. Several kinds of ammo that other mags had no issue with.

I disassembled to look for burrs and clean/lube and reassembled and now can't get #8 round to load! As 7 rounds are in you can see #1, first loaded is cock eyed and preventing another round to load. 4 loading had same result.

I thought I may have assembled wrong (there's really only one way) so took #2 to compare and as I went unload #4 on this one jammed up while unloading by hand! I've unloaded 1000s of round from dozens of mags and not once had a round hang up. Usually they fly out quickly. This one literally took some effort to eject!

Different ammo had same results.

So...How the heck can I trust Wilson mags? These are 2 brand new mags failing. Bought a few weeks apart in different cities.

Other mags including one with a very weak spring have been flawless at the range with all sorts of ammo....

That's ~$100 down the drain for me as I full time RV and don't have a nearby address to get return mail when I send them back...Plus I'd feel like a danged fool for even trying another Wilson brand mag after this.

I've had Wilsons before and no problems but now....have they changed manufacturing recently?

Sorry to gripe really bummed as I just "lost" two mags and even in Wilson makes good I have lost confidence in their mags so....lose lose....I wouldn't even give them away!

·
Registered
357 Posts
Chuck them in a padded envelope with a short letter stating the problem and send them back to Wilson.
They will most likley chuck them in the round file and send you two brand new ones.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Chuck them in a padded envelope with a short letter stating the problem and send them back to Wilson.
They will most likley chuck them in the round file and send you two brand new ones.
Sure but the question of when and where I get them back remains. Plus... we're talking two out of two new mags having issues! I'm wondering what sort of changes have made otherwise best in class...junk!

Full time rv.Road trip to Berryville.Or just send me the mags.
I've cleaned and lubed and checked under magnification and there is in discernible issue with either. I really don't think you would have much luck with them. I wouldn't give these away as they may fail when most needed.

I wonder if more recent complaints like this or am I just "lucky"? :D

·
Registered
11,788 Posts
Wilson has a bunch of different mags and different lines. What model of mag are these? Can you identify them from their website?

Did you read the directions? https://s3.amazonaws.com/wilsoncombat/files/47Series.pdf

Like other mechanical devices, your Wilson Combat® magazine may be a little stiff when first used. This is normal and should not effect its feeding capabilities, however you will notice that as you use your magazine it will become easier to load and seat in your pistol and it will function even more smoothly over time. If you wish to expedite the break in process simply leave your new magazine loaded to capacity for a day or two, this will preset the spring to normal operating tension.
As the other folks have mentioned, Wilson does have an excellent customer service and should take care of you if you take them up on it.

·
Registered
11,788 Posts
A few years back, I bought a handful of Wilson mags, when I disassembled them, I couldn't reassemble a couple of the mags because the little pimple on the base plate was off-set, left to right, and wouldn't engage with the bumper pad.

I notified Wilson and they sent me a couple of replacement plates, at no charge, that worked perfectly.

·
Administrator
72,471 Posts
Any manufacturer can turn out duds regardless of who they are. What separates Wilson from the pack is that they stand behind their products. Send them back and they will take care of it.

Reactions: 1911_Bandit

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
In my experience using WC mags, I always load ‘em and leave ‘em be for at least week when they are brand-new. Seems to help the springs settle a bit. It’s likely that I read about doing that on these very pages some time back.

FWIW, I only use WC mags and, of the many they offer, only the 47s (the full-size 7-rounders).

·
Registered
7,457 Posts
Send them back and you will get new ones, I have some mags of theirs from the 80s that are in my practice rotation and I know if they break I'll get sent replacements

Reactions: seagiant

·
Registered
573 Posts
Hi,
Yep, Wilson will take care of it, no matter if you are the original Owner or the third.

I've always said if a 1911 won't run with a Wilson, then it just won't run.

I'm sure these top line makers do the best they can, but for our personal defense it is up to us...

To do the final testing and make decisions on what we carry to protect ourselves!:cool:

·
Premium Member
13,365 Posts
What magazine model? Wilson has zillions of models. If you want 8R 45 go with the HD/+p mags, they have massive springs in them, I'm still on my first batch of these magazines since when they first came out and haven't had to do anything to any of these in the batch of 7 magazines in all these many years except wipe some carbon off them (still have original springs). (Before these mags came out with their other models I would occasionally, like say 1-2% have failures to feed with some hollow-points).

A few more bucks but they last "forever".

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
I've never had an issue with Wilson mags....of course, as has already been mentioned, it helps to go through a break-in process. I load mine when they are new and forget about them for a month or more. I know Wilson says less time in their reccommdations, but this has served me well. I have 17 47's. Most of them are 47D's and they are used in 3 1911's. I can't remember a single failure. 4 of them are over 20 years old and still have the same springs they came with. They are range mags because of their age...but still haven't suffered a failure. The break-in is important. These springs last for years. Consider what they do....over and over again. It makes sense that someone may have problems if the mags are loaded and used immediately without setting the spring.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
I like how people want to air out issues without even contacting the manufacturer. It doesn’t matter who the manufacturer is they will generally take care of you. Being a full time RVer I’m sure you use some type of mail forwarding service so returning them should be no issue, we spend about 6 months a year in our RV. I’m sure your RV no matter the manufacturer has given you more problems than those 2 magazines will and those problems cost. Good luck

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Sometimes the emperor really doesn't have any clothes on.

Try some CMC Power Mags, Tripp, or Metalforms.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well....

OK...Advice and opinions accepted.

Could anyone confirm if this tilt is normal? It seems the followers on both (they both do this) is obviously tilting.

I disassembled and they seem more flimsy than I recall with mine for ~5 years ago. The skirts are a floppy .018" to .045" and have enough flex to allow the tilt.

Odd because when you read reviews of Wilson mags the follower is hailed as non tilting....

Has Wilson changed the follower?

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
That's normal. The non-tilt refers to the top round. My mags look the same way at the 7th round.

·
Registered
11,788 Posts
You have a 47D. The full size, 7 round 47 follower will tilt less than the 47D follower, because it is longer.

·
Registered
11,788 Posts
The tilt, down column is normal and becomes more significant the more rounds you stack in a single column mag, also the chance of nosedives increases as you put more rounds in a single column mag. It is the nature of the beast.

Typically, an 8 rounder will have more nosedive issues than a 7 rounder, and a 10 rounder will have more issues than an 8 rounder.

·
Super Moderator
13,419 Posts
I'll take them from you. I'll pay for the shipping.

Reactions: Eric
1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.